Old 16-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Ben

Default Parrots in the Gardens, again

Hi all,

I sent a message yesterday regarding Parakeets in London and other
parts of the UK. I received some very helpful responses. As I
mentioned, I am a journalist with the Canadian Broadcasting
Corporation and am doing a radio story on this topic. I would very
much like to speak with anybody who has stories about the parakeets.
The Wraysbury area sounds particularly interesting. If you have any
stories, or have friends who have stories, please let me know, via
email at I am getting a bit desperate at this
point because I really need a source who can comment from their first
hand experiences with the birds. Any help, or contact information
would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Ben
Old 16-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Philippe Gautier

Ben wrote:
Hi all,

I sent a message yesterday regarding Parakeets in London and other
parts of the UK. I received some very helpful responses. As I
mentioned, I am a journalist with the Canadian Broadcasting
Corporation and am doing a radio story on this topic. I would very
much like to speak with anybody who has stories about the parakeets.
The Wraysbury area sounds particularly interesting. If you have any
stories, or have friends who have stories, please let me know, via
email at I am getting a bit desperate at this
point because I really need a source who can comment from their first
hand experiences with the birds. Any help, or contact information
would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Ben

Not really what you are looking for, but maybe you would be interested
to know there is also a pretty large parakeet population in Brussels,
Belgium. I don't really have nice stories about them, though. Sorry.

Philippe
Old 21-07-2004, 09:10 PM
tuin man

"Philippe Gautier" wrote in message
Ben wrote:
[...]

Interesting, Thanks, I'll pass that bit of info on to my girlfriend who
lives approx 20 km from Brussels. She has a large Birch tree and in recent
months a parrot of some sort has moved in.

Patrick

Old 21-07-2004, 09:15 PM
annet planten

"Philippe Gautier" schreef:

Not really what you are looking for, but maybe you would be interested
Belgium. I don't really have nice stories about them, though. Sorry.

Philippe

If those so-called parrots are the same flashing green parakeets (sp?)
that are spreading slowly but steadily over the Netherlands, my guess
is they originated from Amsterdam.

About tenty years ago, someone got rid of some 'halsbandparkieten',
ringnecks, by setting them loose in the Vondelpark, quite
central-Amsterdam. A women living around there started feeding them
on a daily base: lateron a group of people helped and took over that
task. The birds were flourishing, spreading slowly over the city,
coming back for food, but not to sleep: for that purpose they chose
some big trees some miles away. Quite a big population, ever growing.

Then there were reports that they spreaded southwards, obviously
finding enough food to live on, also in wintertime. By now, it's not
unusual to see them from Amsterdam to The Hague and onwards. To the
east is more rarely: my guess is they stick to cities, for food and
shelter, so hopping around is far more attractive in the crowded
west-region than in the meadowy, emptier north.

If they reached Antwerpen, made a daytrip to Zeebrugge and took a
ferry (ehm? why not?), London was at their feet ;-)

Dag, Annet

Old 21-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Philippe Gautier
writes
Ben wrote:
Hi all,
I sent a message yesterday regarding Parakeets in London and other
parts of the UK. I received some very helpful responses. As I
mentioned, I am a journalist with the Canadian Broadcasting
Corporation and am doing a radio story on this topic. I would very
much like to speak with anybody who has stories about the parakeets.

Not in the UK but around Brussels there are a lot of them in the wild.
They would raid nut feeders in winter when the going got tough. This
time of year they have plenty of food in the wild.

The Wraysbury area sounds particularly interesting. If you have any
stories, or have friends who have stories, please let me know, via
email at I am getting a bit desperate at this
point because I really need a source who can comment from their first
hand experiences with the birds. Any help, or contact information
would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Regards,
Ben

Not really what you are looking for, but maybe you would be interested
to know there is also a pretty large parakeet population in Brussels,
Belgium. I don't really have nice stories about them, though. Sorry.

They are fairly cheeky so I'd expect there to be some fun stories.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Old 21-07-2004, 09:46 PM
BridgeP

In article , annet planten

Subject: Parrots in the Gardens, again
From: annet planten
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:47:23 +0200

"Philippe Gautier" schreef:

[...]

Whatever you do, don't leave any Asprin lying around.

Because Parrots eat em all! (Paracetemal).

Peter Bridge
Old 21-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Philip

(Ben) wrote in message . com...
Hi all,

I sent a message yesterday regarding Parakeets in London and other
parts of the UK. I received some very helpful responses. As I
mentioned, I am a journalist with the Canadian Broadcasting
Corporation and am doing a radio story on this topic. I would very
much like to speak with anybody who has stories about the parakeets.
The Wraysbury area sounds particularly interesting. If you have any
stories, or have friends who have stories, please let me know, via
email at
I am getting a bit desperate at this
point because I really need a source who can comment from their first
hand experiences with the birds. Any help, or contact information
would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Ben

Ben

I do not know where else you have posted this but I would suggest tht
UK.Rec.Gardening is not the most frequented place in the world.

Regular conrtributors here - I'd guess at 100, with maybe another 400
occaisional / lurkers.

So lets be generous and go for 500.

Population of UK = 59000000

500 / 59000000 = 0.0005%

Population of Surrey 1000000

List participants from Surrey 10

I would suggest you got nearly all the replies you are gonna get.

You need to get on the phone. The BBC report says they roost near
Esher Rugby Club - call the club. The groundsman may have some
feedback for you. Anyway thats enough of doing your job for you.

Best of luck

Old 21-07-2004, 11:28 PM
BridgeP

In article , annet planten

Old 21-07-2004, 11:52 PM
David Hill

"....... I do not know where else you have posted this but I would suggest
that UK.Rec.Gardening is not the most frequented place in the world.

Regular conrtributors here - I'd guess at 100, with maybe another 400
occaisional / lurkers.

So lets be generous and go for 500. ........"

Ah but it's not the size that counts, but the quality.......

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries