Old 21-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Jane Ransom

Default Salix ???

I have a Salix and have forgotten its name
It is a prostrate form that is hugging some boulders we have in the
garden.
The label is now practically illegible but the letters seem to run along
the lines naka..somethingOrOtherButCantMakeOutHowManyLetters ..ana.
Can anyone help me remember what it is called, please?
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 21-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Sacha

On 18/7/04 9:10 pm, in article , "Jane
Ransom" wrote:

I have a Salix and have forgotten its name
It is a prostrate form that is hugging some boulders we have in the
garden.
The label is now practically illegible but the letters seem to run along
the lines naka..somethingOrOtherButCantMakeOutHowManyLetters ..ana.
Can anyone help me remember what it is called, please?

S. lindleyana?

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

Old 21-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Brian

k...
Ransom" wrote:

I have a Salix and have forgotten its name
It is a prostrate form that is hugging some boulders we have in the
garden.
The label is now practically illegible but the letters seem to run along
the lines naka..somethingOrOtherButCantMakeOutHowManyLetters ..ana.
Can anyone help me remember what it is called, please?

S. lindleyana?

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

________________
S.lindleyana~ most likely. Not to be confused with S.
hylematica~~but many do!
The abundant small red catkins seems to be diagnostic. It only grows to
about 3" and can form an attractive mat.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 21-07-2004, 11:41 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
That's the one.
Thanks, Alan.

You're welcome Jane :-)

The species seems to be a fairly recent one as it does not appear in RHS
Encs. Your clue re. 'hugging boulders' led to the 'alpina' bit.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 21-07-2004, 11:50 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Alan Gould
writes
Your clue re. 'hugging boulders' led to the 'alpina' bit.

Ooooh, it's a bit bigger than alpina!!
After about 3 years it has spread about 12 feet and 'dropped' over the
rocks about 4 feet and it's still going strong!!
I wonder if it was mislabelled?
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 21-07-2004, 11:50 PM
Sacha

On 19/7/04 19:35, in article , "Jane
Ransom" wrote:

In article , Alan Gould
writes
Your clue re. 'hugging boulders' led to the 'alpina' bit.

Ooooh, it's a bit bigger than alpina!!
After about 3 years it has spread about 12 feet and 'dropped' over the
rocks about 4 feet and it's still going strong!!
I wonder if it was mislabelled?

Imagine that! ;-)

Old 21-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , Alan Gould
writes
Your clue re. 'hugging boulders' led to the 'alpina' bit.

Ooooh, it's a bit bigger than alpina!!
After about 3 years it has spread about 12 feet and 'dropped' over the
rocks about 4 feet and it's still going strong!!
I wonder if it was mislabelled?

Have you ever seen the size of the Alps? ;-)
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Salix Kilmarnock Willow Natalie United Kingdom 13 06-09-2003 08:02 PM
Salix Nicolas Appel Plant Science 1 14-04-2003 08:08 PM
Salix Caprea Pendula? (Weeping Pussy Willow) janet.bennett United Kingdom 1 29-03-2003 08:44 AM
Salix matsudana 'Tortuosa': Corkscrew Willow Bart Thomas Bonsai 0 17-03-2003 09:32 PM
Salix Caprea Kilmarnock Jack United Kingdom 5 02-03-2003 06:40 PM