Old 21-07-2004, 11:52 PM
jimmy

Default Greenhouse running costs

Hi,

This is my first season with a new greenhouse and I am wondering what to do
with it during the winter. This comes down to the cost of heating it. Does
anyone have any information about (or links to sites with information) about
the running costs of various electric heaters in the UK. (I am not really
interested in paraffin heaters).

Thanks for any information,

Jim

Old 21-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Phil L

jimmy wrote:
:: Hi,
::
:: This is my first season with a new greenhouse and I am wondering
:: what to do with it during the winter. This comes down to the cost of
:: heating it. Does anyone have any information about (or links to
:: sites with information) about the running costs of various electric
:: heaters in the UK. (I am not really interested in paraffin heaters).
::
:: Thanks for any information,
::
:: Jim

http://www.greenhouse-heater.co.uk/g...-selection.htm
has a handy guide for working out which type is best.

http://www.cmsgardens.co.uk/heaters.htm
has a multitude of various heaters, although neither of these links will
tell you how much they cost to run, you can bet that it's a lot more than
propane!

HTH

BTW, if you do decide to use electricity, don't bother with a greenhouse
heater, any bog standard blow heater will suffice, provided it's supply has
a trip-switch fitted.

Old 21-07-2004, 11:54 PM
Douglas

"jimmy" wrote in message
Hi,

This is my first season with a new greenhouse and I am wondering what to

do
with it during the winter. This comes down to the cost of heating it. Does
anyone have any information about (or links to sites with information)

about
the running costs of various electric heaters in the UK. (I am not really
interested in paraffin heaters).

Thanks for any information,

Jim

************

If you live up here in the North-west , - forget it
Of course, if you have real money and a regular surplus of it, well!,-
that's a different matter. I use my greenhouse in winter for preserving
frost-prone potted perennials. I have a survival glazed section but
nothing can raise the temperature anywhere above the ambient outside
temperature save for a degree or two due to occasional clear-sky conditions-
and that's pushing it. When the temp reaches zero it freezes water. That
boy a the back pay attention! -What has a plant got in its stem ?.
The situation today is that bought plug seedlings in spring are cheaper than
our own early spring sowing of seeds in a greenhouse.
Like everything else ,the supermarkets, by sheer volume and cut-pricing
have killed off everyone else , butchers, cobblers grocers, corner shops
etc. etc, and soon it will be the Pharmacists, Doctors, Dentists
Physiotherapists, the whole lot. who will be sited under the sheds they call
supermarkets, The die is cast, the battle already over.
They even control who will grow what and at what price, and who's to
blame.?.
You and me, but we are helpless and the supermarket wallahs know it.
I say you and me because they have gradually trained us to accept that trash
is good and generations have grown up who know no other. Did the original M
& S ever dream that their later women buyers of a generation who know no
better would tolerate buying in bulk ladies dresses with the bottom hems
stitched with plain stitching that can be seen from the outside of the
fabric?. They just don't know the proper way to construct top class fabrics
and styles and the brainless teenagers purchasers know just nothing.
Mass hysteria and mass advertising keeps the cheapo "quality" pot aboiling,
but the spurious "high fashion" prices charged are a complete disgrace.
Doug.

************

Doug.

Old 22-07-2004, 12:01 AM
Franz Heymann

"Douglas" wrote in message

[snip]

When the temp reaches zero it freezes water. That
boy a the back pay attention! -What has a plant got in its stem ?.

A solution of various chemicals in water with a freezing point below
that of pure water.
Consider anti-freeze.

[snip]

Franz

Old 22-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Martin Brown

In message , jimmy
writes

This is my first season with a new greenhouse and I am wondering what to do
with it during the winter. This comes down to the cost of heating it. Does
anyone have any information about (or links to sites with information) about
the running costs of various electric heaters in the UK. (I am not really
interested in paraffin heaters).

How big is your greenhouse? How warm do you intend to keep it?
Are you prepared to bubble wrap insulate it for the winter?

I use a greenhouse 3kW fan heater for my 10x20' with a split in the
middle so that the blind end is kept warm (min 5C) and the other just
frost free. Everything that could be is insulated with bubble wrap.
Thermostatic vents are allowed to open at 10C internal temperature for
fresh air in winter.

A quick and dirty rule of thumb is that heating costs are roughly
doubled for every 5C above ambient the inside temperature is maintained.
It is very important to have a good thermostat and decent movement of
air.

It was cheaper for me with electricity than with paraffin because you
don't need so much ventilation or have huge condensation problems. The
only minor drawback is that installing electricity in a greenhouse
properly is expensive. But you gradually recoup on the running costs.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown