Old 22-07-2004, 12:26 AM
Hamish

Default British gov't to protect snails, slugs from pain & distress

Alert Date: July 13, 2004

British gov't to protect snails, slugs from pain & distress
SOURCE DATE: July 11, 2004
AUTHOR: Fiona Govan

PUBLICATION: The Ottawa Citizen
SOURCE: The Sunday Telegraph
DATELINE: LONDON

LONDON - A new animal welfare law to be introduced in Britain will
offer slugs and snails the same protection as cats and dogs.

The law will give courts the power to impose fines of up to $50,000
and 12 months in jail on people found guilty of mistreating animals
and could mean gardeners are fined for killing insects, worms,
caterpillars, slugs and snails, if scientific evidence proves they
have suffered pain and distress.

Ministers say the law, which updates existing legislation, is needed
to protect animals from abuse. Gardeners say the plan is excessive and
rejected the idea they could be guilty of cruelty.

Bunny Guinness, a gardening columnist and six-time winner of the gold
medal at the Chelsea Flower Show, said gardeners should be subject to
fines for protecting their gardens. "Hundreds of slugs and snails are
being slaughtered in gardens up and down the country. It would be
quite ridiculous to not call that cruelty. Almost all gardeners use
slug pellets or salt to keep the pests at bay,'' she said, punishment
should be swift.

Gardening expert John Cushnie said some aspects of the legislation
were nonsensical. "To give worms and slugs protection under the law is
quite correct. If I have an infestation of slugs or snails or cabbage
white butterflies, then I will get rid of them in natural ways I
choose. Forward planning is the key, we simply do not need to kill the
slugs

A claim from a psychotic animal abuser:

"No one is going to tell me that the things are suffering. If I want
to boil them alive, stamp on them or treat them to a slow drawn-out
death by poison then I will -- and would like to see the government
that would try to interfere with a man and his garden.''

The draft bill, which updates the Protection of Animals Act 1911, will
be published next week by Ben Bradshaw, the minister for animal
welfare.

The penalties for cruelty would double the present maximum jail
sentence and substantially increase the maximum fine.

*****************

BCWF ALERT
John B Holdstock
BC Wildlife Federation
Kelowna, BC

http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/

The world is run by those who show up.

SUPPORT ISRAEL

Myths & Facts Online
A Guide to the Arab-Israeli Conflict
By Mitchell G. Bard

http://tinyurl.com/ysepr

+------------------------+
| NO PLONKING ZONE |
+------------------------+
| | |
| | | |
..| |.. .| |..
...\| |/.... \| |/..

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.217% richest people in the world.
There are 5,986,950,449 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 13,049,551
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Newsgroup ettiquette

1) Tell everyone the Trolls don't bother you.
2) Say you've killfiled them, yet continue to respond.
3) Tell other people off who repsond despite doing so yourself.
4) Continually talk about Trolls while maintaining
they're having no effect.
5) Publicly post killfile rules so the Trolls know
how to avoid them.
6) Make lame legal threats and other barrel scraping
manoeuvres when your abuse reports are ignored.
7) Eat vast quantities of pies.
8) Forget to brush your teeth for several decades.
9) Help a demon.local poster with their email while
secretly reading it.
10) Pretend you're a hard ******* when in fact you're
as bent as a roundabout.
11) Become the laughing stock of Usenet like Mabbet
12) Die of old age
13) Keep paying Dr Chartham his fees and hope one day you
will have a penis the girls can see.

---------------------------------------

"If you would'nt talk to them in a bar, don't *uckin' vote for them"

"Australia was not *discovered* it was invaded"
The Big Yin.

Need a fake diploma for fun? contact my collegues Malcolm Ogilvie
or Michael Saunby who both bought one and got one free, only $15 each,
have as many as you like www.fakediplomas.com

slugs & snails Charlie2 United Kingdom 6 07-05-2014 10:12 PM
Caffeine versus slugs & snails Bertie Doe United Kingdom 21 24-11-2010 06:46 PM
Runner Beans & Slugs & Snails isleofthanet United Kingdom 3 19-05-2007 10:01 PM
British gov't to protect snails, slugs from pain & distress Hamish United Kingdom 0 21-07-2004 11:15 PM
Pansies In Distress Fleemo Gardening 7 01-02-2003 02:19 AM