Old 06-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Registered User

Default slugs & snails

Against all forms of chemical repellent because even so called safe ones can be harmful to predators who feed on slugs and snails.
How effective is the copper tape?
Could I used some scrap copper tubing from recent plumbing change over?.
Thanks
Old 06-05-2014, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Charlie2

Try Ferromol, Iron phosphate based, harmless to everything but slugs and
snails.

(Sorry no idea about the copper rings)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie2" wrote in message ...

Against all forms of chemical repellent because even so called safe ones
can be harmful to predators who feed on slugs and snails.
How effective is the copper tape?
Could I used some scrap copper tubing from recent plumbing change
over?.
Thanks

--
Charlie2

Charlie2 I did a lot of experiments with copper wire round the perimeter of
a couple of raised beds. Whilst the copper was clean it was OK, there must
have been some form of action which the slugs didn't like. Whether it was a
chemical reaction similar to that in the marine world where Cathodic
protection is needed to protect the metals of a boat from being eaten away I
don't know, but once the copper went dull it was ineffective.

We are now trying a trial of surrounding plants with a ring of sifted
bonfire ash. We have sacks of the stuff from where a huge tree was removed.
...................... so far SUPERB!!!!!!

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk

Old 07-05-2014, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-06 21:53:44 +0000, Charlie Pridham said:

"Charlie2" wrote in message

Against all forms of chemical repellent because even so called safe ones
can be harmful to predators who feed on slugs and snails.
How effective is the copper tape?
Could I used some scrap copper tubing from recent plumbing change
over?.
Thanks

--
Charlie2

Try Ferromol, Iron phosphate based, harmless to everything but slugs
and snails.

(Sorry no idea about the copper rings)

I'm about to apply coffee grounds from our new machine and see if that
theory works in practice!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-05-2014, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie2
writes

Against all forms of chemical repellent because even so called safe ones
can be harmful to predators who feed on slugs and snails.
How effective is the copper tape?
Could I used some scrap copper tubing from recent plumbing change
over?.
Thanks

I'm trying nematodes this year.
--
bert

Old 07-05-2014, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie2 wrote:
Against all forms of chemical repellent because even so called safe
ones can be harmful to predators who feed on slugs and snails.
How effective is the copper tape?
Could I used some scrap copper tubing from recent plumbing change
over?.
Thanks

Please accept my apologies Charlie2, but with a subject like that I couldn't
resist the temptation.

What are little boys made of?

Slugs and snails, and puppy dog tails,
That's what little boys are made of.

What are little girls made of?

Sugar and spice, and all things nice,
That's what little girls are made of.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 6 May 2014 20:05:46 +0200, Charlie2
wrote:

Against all forms of chemical repellent because even so called safe ones
can be harmful to predators who feed on slugs and snails.
How effective is the copper tape?
Could I used some scrap copper tubing from recent plumbing change
over?.
Thanks

We have used copper tape on containers of hostas for years and it is
very successful as a slug deterrent but not totally effective against
snails. Tape with a with a serated edge is supposedly more effective
with snails.
--
rbel