Old 24-07-2004, 10:13 AM
cross

Default Using milk for Blackspot

I remember reading here that milk can be used to treat blackspot on roses.

What dilution is it made up, and when is it applied, ie. as prevention
before the problem appears, or as treatment afterwards?

Oh......... and does it really work ;-)

Marina
W. Sx

Old 24-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Franz Heymann

"cross" wrote in message
I remember reading here that milk can be used to treat blackspot on

roses.

What dilution is it made up, and when is it applied, ie. as

prevention
before the problem appears, or as treatment afterwards?

Oh......... and does it really work ;-)

I strongly suspect that it is yet another gardening old wives' tale

Franz

Old 24-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"cross" wrote in message
I remember reading here that milk can be used to treat blackspot on

roses.

What dilution is it made up, and when is it applied, ie. as

prevention
before the problem appears, or as treatment afterwards?

Oh......... and does it really work ;-)

I strongly suspect that it is yet another gardening old wives' tale

It was discussed here years ago and people said that it worked. I think
it is one part milk to ten parts water.
Old 24-07-2004, 07:03 PM
cross

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message

"cross" wrote in message
I remember reading here that milk can be used to treat blackspot on

roses.

What dilution is it made up, and when is it applied, ie. as

prevention
before the problem appears, or as treatment afterwards?

Oh......... and does it really work ;-)

It was discussed here years ago and people said that it worked. I think
it is one part milk to ten parts water.

---------
Thanks Jane, that was what I thought it was.

Has anyone tried this and does it work?

Ever hopeful ;-)

Marina

Old 24-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Mike Lyle

"cross" wrote in message
I remember reading here that milk can be used to treat blackspot on

roses.

What dilution is it made up, and when is it applied, ie. as

prevention
before the problem appears, or as treatment afterwards?

Oh......... and does it really work ;-)

I strongly suspect that it is yet another gardening old wives' tale

It was discussed here years ago and people said that it worked. I think
it is one part milk to ten parts water.

Wouldn't the residue encourage fungal and algal growth?

Mike.
Old 25-07-2004, 04:30 PM
cross

It was discussed here years ago and people said that it worked. I think
it is one part milk to ten parts water.

Wouldn't the residue encourage fungal and algal growth?

I'll let you know!
The climber up the front of the house is hideously disfigured with
blackspot this year ( it always succumbs....haven't got a clue what
variety the rose is ).
It certainly can't get any worse - so I'll dose it up with the
solution and see what happens.

Oh...full fat or semi skimmed d'you think?

Regards,
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

-------------
I thought I would treat one too to as a test, semi-skimmed because that is
what we use.

The reason I asked is that the Rose Society are asking people to tell them
about any organic rose treatments that they use. They were giving out
leaflets at Hampton Court Flower Show, titled "Can Roses be Green".

Any other ideas?

Marina
E. Sx

Old 26-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Pie

Wouldn't the residue encourage fungal and algal growth?

Mike.

i agree. can't wait to hear the results next season. how bout trying a spray
of liquid garlic

Old 26-07-2004, 11:03 PM
ned

"Pie" wrote in message

Wouldn't the residue encourage fungal and algal growth?

Mike.

i agree. can't wait to hear the results next season. how bout trying

a spray
of liquid garlic

Garlic smelling roses?
'Got to be a market for them! :-)

--
ned
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk

Old 27-07-2004, 07:06 AM
Franz Heymann

"ned" wrote in message

"Pie" wrote in message

Wouldn't the residue encourage fungal and algal growth?

Mike.

i agree. can't wait to hear the results next season. how bout

trying
a spray
of liquid garlic

Garlic smelling roses?

That's why they are called Rosa garlica

'Got to be a market for them! :-)

Franz

Old 27-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Dwayne

You might ask this on news group rec.gardens.roses. Maybe someone there
would help or possibly have tried it before.

Dwayne