Old 26-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Les &/or Claire

Default Buckingham Palace Garden

JennyC wrote:
Did anyone else Gardeners World on Friday?

They had a special with Month Don (my hero!) about the Palace
gardens. I'd never realised they were so extensive !!
Good old Beeb - another excellent program

Jenny

More of our wealth stolen by the parasitic german dynasty. Time we did away
with them! Inbred, overmonied, and over here..... The answer i feel is to
turn all the royals, lackies, cousins and hangers on into meat pies, feed
them to the nations homeless, divide up their TOTAL assets, after selling
everything, amongst the bottom 20% ( by wealth ) of the UK population and be
done with it.

(I'm not a royalist by the way.....)

Les

--
http://www.stuffmongers.com

"Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission
natural selection, the force that made us.... Soon we must look deep
within ourselves and decide what we wish to become." Edward O. Wilson
Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge

Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG

Old 26-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:32:10 +0100, Les &/or Claire wrote:

JennyC wrote:
Did anyone else Gardeners World on Friday?

They had a special with Month Don (my hero!) about the Palace
gardens. I'd never realised they were so extensive !!
Good old Beeb - another excellent program

Jenny

More of our wealth stolen by the parasitic german dynasty. ...

Got anything to say about gardening?
--
Tim C.
Old 26-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Kate Morgan

They had a special with Month Don (my hero!) about the Palace
gardens. I'd never realised they were so extensive !!
Good old Beeb - another excellent program

Jenny

In the wee small hours of this morning I watched a BBC Workskill
programme, it was Monty Don looking after holidaymakers, he was a tour
rep in Crete. I think it was hard work for Monty but he was amusing and
charming and he did a very good job.

kate
Old 26-07-2004, 11:56 AM
John Edgar

wrote:

JennyC wrote:
Did anyone else Gardeners World on Friday?

They had a special with Month Don (my hero!) about the Palace
gardens. I'd never realised they were so extensive !!
Good old Beeb - another excellent program

Jenny

More of our wealth stolen by the parasitic german dynasty. Time we did away
with them! Inbred, overmonied, and over here..... The answer i feel is to
turn all the royals, lackies, cousins and hangers on into meat pies, feed
them to the nations homeless, divide up their TOTAL assets, after selling
everything, amongst the bottom 20% ( by wealth ) of the UK population and be
done with it.

(I'm not a royalist by the way.....)

Les

Hear, hear . . . . . .
John
In limine sapientiae
Old 26-07-2004, 12:03 PM
John Edgar

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:00:57 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

Did anyone else Gardeners World on Friday?

They had a special with Month Don (my hero!) about the Palace gardens. I'd never
realised they were so extensive !!
Good old Beeb - another excellent program

Jenny

Yes it was very interesting. Don't you think there is a case to be
made for opening them to the public? They are after all our gardens -
not HMs.
John
In limine sapientiae

Old 26-07-2004, 04:38 PM
JennyC

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote
fSacha

"JennyC" wrote:

Did anyone else Gardeners World on Friday?
They had a special with Month Don (my hero!) about the Palace gardens. I'd
never realised they were so extensive !!
Good old Beeb - another excellent program

Sadlt, we missed it and have been told how good it was. If anyone happens
to have a tape of it that they'd lend us I'd be so grateful.

It was presented by Monty Don, why don't they find more like him?
Knowledgeable, comprehensible, and not auditioning for a personality
transplant via my right boot.

It was an interesting programme but I found the gardens themselves
rather chilling and soul-less. There was no sense of person or passion
which had brought them about; no spark.
Janet.

Dare I say that perhaps the gardens reflect the Queens personality ?
Jenny (ducking out of the way of the Royalists....)

Old 26-07-2004, 09:03 PM

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:38:14 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote
fSacha

"JennyC" wrote:

Did anyone else Gardeners World on Friday?
They had a special with Month Don (my hero!) about the Palace gardens. I'd
never realised they were so extensive !!
Good old Beeb - another excellent program

Sadlt, we missed it and have been told how good it was. If anyone happens
to have a tape of it that they'd lend us I'd be so grateful.

It was presented by Monty Don, why don't they find more like him?
Knowledgeable, comprehensible, and not auditioning for a personality
transplant via my right boot.

It was an interesting programme but I found the gardens themselves
rather chilling and soul-less. There was no sense of person or passion
which had brought them about; no spark.
Janet.

Dare I say that perhaps the gardens reflect the Queens personality ?
Jenny (ducking out of the way of the Royalists....)

Well that's your invitation to a Royal Garden party (scheduled for
2051) cancelled and don't expect an MBE for services to ugly Dutch
balconies either. :-)
--
Martin

Old 26-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
What is astonishing is how large they are, slap in the middle of London.

Well, that's not really astonishing, is it, since it's a royal property
and therefore immune from attempts to build on it?

You think a rash of bungalows or high rise would improve it?

No - I was just reacting to your comment that it was 'astonishing' how
large they were. Usual reason for small parcel of land in cities is the
pressure for building space, but that would hardly apply here.
Personally, I'd be astonished if the monarch's residence in London
*didn't* have huge gardens around. There's the prestige side if nothing
else.

It's a Crown
property not one owned by the Monarch, BTW.

I wondered about that. That's why I used the rather vague 'royal
property'.

--
Kay

Old 27-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Toby

Sacha wrote:
What is astonishing is how large they are, slap in the middle of
London.

Of course when Buckingham House was built it was a rural area, every body
else moved there in an attempt to ingratiate themselves with the court. It
also probably helps to have The Grosvenor Estate as a neighbour.

I assume that St. James Park was once the garden for St. James Palace?

--
Toby.