Old 28-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Glenda

Default Carrotts

I've got an excellent crop of carrots, my first time growing them
(used Flyaway variety, worked very well). As the tops of the carrotts
are now starting to poke through the soil I pulled a couple of them
out for inspection - and tasting! - and they're ready for harvesting.
What's the best way to store them and how long can I expect them to
keep in storage?

Many thanks in advance for replies.

Glenda

Old 28-07-2004, 07:18 PM
Emrys Davies

'Glenda',

I recall storing some carrots in sand a long long time ago and I cannot
remember how they got on. However, the below site tell me that I did it
all wrong so I hope it helps you.

http://www.salescene.com/garart36.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 28-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Pam Moore

Default Badger intruders?

On our allotment site, many rows of carrots haave been destroyed by
what some are saying is a badger. Young carrots pulled and eaten and
the tops left lying. The general opinion is that it must be a badger
because if it was rabbits they would also have gone for lettuces.
Nothing else - so far - is touched.
There is known to be a sett about a mile away but we have never had a
problem before. The plots affected, mine included, are at the top end
of the site, next to fields.

Question 1 : what else are badgers likely to go for? Some are worried
about sweet corn.
Question 2 : Any idea how we can keep the robbers out, short of
sitting up there all night with a gun? JOKE

Pam in Bristol

Old 29-07-2004, 04:39 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Pam Moore
writes

Question 1 : what else are badgers likely to go for? Some are worried
about sweet corn.
Question 2 : Any idea how we can keep the robbers out, short of
sitting up there all night with a gun? JOKE

Badgers are known to go for roots and bulbs. We have lost beetroot and
daffodil bulbs to badgers, but they don't seem to go for our carrots.
Their sett is about half a mile from us in an area of disused ground. It
is under so much pressure from local badger hunters that we don't take
any measures against them.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 29-07-2004, 10:56 AM
David Hill

Question 1 : what else are badgers likely to go for? Some are worried
about sweet corn

They wiped out sweetcorn for me 4 years ago, so the next year I watered a
band around the corn (About 3 ft from it ) with a solution of Armilitox.
They didn't touch the corn. I don't know if it was because the smell of the
corn was overpowered by the Armilitox, or just because they wouldn't cross
it.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 29-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Victoria Clare

Pam Moore wrote in
:

Young carrots pulled and eaten and
the tops left lying. The general opinion is that it must be a badger
because if it was rabbits they would also have gone for lettuces.

I think that's a myth. Most rabbits don't particularly like lettuce (and
it's not good for them either).

I would expect them to go for carrots and primroses (if you have any) first
of all.

It may well not be rabbits, but the fact that lettuces have not been
touched isn't really proof either way.

If there is a lot of digging and widescale destruction rather than just
eating that might tend to point away from rabbits - rabbits like roots, but
they don't usually go to that much effort if there is other food about. I
think they'd be more likely just to eat the tops off.

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall