Old 03-08-2004, 11:23 AM
mike. buckley

Default Suggestions for approach to a path

OK, I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with a little bit of
garden that looks like this:

Pond--XXX | |--------Path
XXX | | -------Herbs/Fronted by trellis/clematis
---------CCC----
/GGGGGGG B\
|GGGGGGGGGG B|
|GGGGGGGGGGGGGGBB|

G = grass
B = Border

The gap in the middle is currently a rather scruffy end to the lawn and
some white stone gravel, further in corner are 6 small slabs before a 6"
border filled with some mid level flowers. There is also a birdtable on
the slabs, although this may get moved in winter to be nearer the house.
Anybody got any ideas for neatly finishing the grass while not
obstructing the (brick) path? I guess I could get rid of the gravel and
grass all of it, but that sounds a little boring. The gravel is the same
height as the grass meaning that there's no neat edge, I don't really
want to dig below the grass level as I've tried this before in another
garden and just ended up with a nice puddle every time it rained!

Thanks

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
Old 03-08-2004, 03:59 PM
JennyC

"mike. buckley" wrote
[...]

Your 'drawing' seems to have gone a bit wobbly on me:~))
I've got loads of borders edged with empty wine bottles.
Picture at:
http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...ndex.Front.htm
They are extremely hard wearing and we've only ever had one breakage in 9 years
(and that was my own fault for leavering a plant out with a trowel to near a
bottle!)
You can make the 'edge' as high or as low as you fancy, though you need at least
50% in the soil for support.
Jenny

Old 03-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Mike Lyle

"mike. buckley" wrote in message . uk...
[...]

You might consider getting some more bricks (old scruffy ones work
best for me) and giving the lawn a brick edging. You'd have to dig a
bit to let the bricks down just below grass level to allow mowing; but
that won't cause you any puddle problem.

If the gravel expanse is quite wide, it looks to me as though the
separate features may be visually _too_ separate, so you might blend
from the brick edging through to the path by using some more bricks
either to fill the gap completely, or in pairs as stepping-stones
across the gravel. You don't say how wide the gravel is, though: if
it's just a narrow strip along the edge of the lawn, I'd be inclined
to replace it with my suggested brick edging and enough new lawn to
fill in.

Is the bird-table corner the G-less space between CCC and the top two
Bs?

Mike.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:48 AM
mike. buckley

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
If the gravel expanse is quite wide, it looks to me as though the
separate features may be visually _too_ separate, so you might blend
from the brick edging through to the path by using some more bricks
either to fill the gap completely, or in pairs as stepping-stones
across the gravel. You don't say how wide the gravel is, though: if
it's just a narrow strip along the edge of the lawn, I'd be inclined
to replace it with my suggested brick edging and enough new lawn to
fill in.

Is the bird-table corner the G-less space between CCC and the top two
Bs?

Yes it is. It's about 5' wide and it's length goes from nothing to about
3'. Quite an awkward corner. The brick edging is a good idea, I'll
probably give that a go.