Old 28-02-2004, 11:21 AM
Sharon

Default Slightly different approach to deterring foxes?

I've spent a good part of the morning reading previous threads about fox
control in urban gardens and have concluded that the only reliable deterrent
is a dog. This isn't really an option for us, as we both work long hours.

I'm thinking of suggesting to a neighbour that we leave the gate between our
properties open to allow their dog free access to our garden, but before I
do that I'd appreciate hearing comments from other urglers. What damage
could a Labrador do in a garden? I think the neighbour would be happy to
let her dog into our garden but I wouldn't want to create ill-feeling if
somewhere down the line I decide the dog is doing more damage than the foxes
and the gate should be closed again.

The foxes are a serious problem for us. In one of the earlier threads,
someone suggested that we should be happy to live with nature. I'm sorry,
but this isn't living with nature but living with nature out of balance.
Perhaps the foxes wouldn't be as much of a problem if we also had the odd
wolf loping through the garden.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts on this.

Old 28-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Rod

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:39:03 +0000 (UTC), "Sharon"
wrote:

I'm thinking of suggesting to a neighbour that we leave the gate between our
properties open to allow their dog free access to our garden, but before I
do that I'd appreciate hearing comments from other urglers. What damage
could a Labrador do in a garden?

If you think foxes are a problem, you should see a labrador chasing a
peacock through a vegetable plot ;~((
Rod

Old 28-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Dr Jack Hammer

wrote:

[...]

No doubt you would find that unacceptable too? perhaps you should move
to a 20th floor apartment and just have a window box, with netting to
stop the pigeons shitting in it!

sigh....some people just don't deserve a life.

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.217% richest people in the world.
There are 5,986,950,449 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 13,049,551
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Newsgroup ettiquette

1) Tell everyone the Trolls don't bother you.
2) Say you've killfiled them, yet continue to respond.
3) Tell other people off who repsond despite doing so yourself.
4) Continually talk about Trolls while maintaining
they're having no effect.
5) Publicly post killfile rules so the Trolls know
how to avoid them.
6) Make lame legal threats and other barrel scraping
manoeuvres when your abuse reports are ignored.
7) Eat vast quantities of pies.
8) Forget to brush your teeth for several decades.
9) Help a demon.local poster with their email while
secretly reading it.
10) Pretend you're a hard ******* when in fact you're
as bent as a roundabout.
11) Become the laughing stock of Usenet like Mabbet
12) Die of old age
13) Keep paying Dr Chartham his fees and hope one day you
will have a penis the girls can see.

---------------------------------------

"If you would'nt talk to them in a bar, don't *uckin' vote for them"

"Australia was not *discovered* it was invaded"
The Big Yin.

Need a fake diploma for fun? contact my collegues Malcolm Ogilvie
or Michael Saunby who both bought one and got one free, only $15 each,
have as many as you like www.fakediplomas.com

Old 28-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Sharon

No doubt you would find that unacceptable too? perhaps you should move
to a 20th floor apartment and just have a window box, with netting to
stop the pigeons shitting in it!

sigh....some people just don't deserve a life.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand the need for a response like this.
Some people just don't deserve a life? What is that supposed to mean?

You haven't even bothered to find out in what way foxes are making life
miserable for us. Or does that not matter at all?

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to provide that helpful response.

Old 28-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Dr Jack Hammer

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:35:03 +0000 (UTC), "Sharon"
wrote:

No doubt you would find that unacceptable too? perhaps you should move
to a 20th floor apartment and just have a window box, with netting to
stop the pigeons shitting in it!

sigh....some people just don't deserve a life.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand the need for a response like this.
Some people just don't deserve a life? What is that supposed to mean?

It figures!

You haven't even bothered to find out in what way foxes are making life
miserable for us. Or does that not matter at all?

Not one jot.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to provide that helpful response.

You are making your life a misery, not the foxes, birds, rats, bugs,
crawlies, creepies etc, etc. If you cannot live with the world then
jump off a cliff and do yourself a favour,

You cannot live with foxes so they have to be at fault? !!!

What will you do when a bird craps on your head, as I imagine it
happens often.

Now why is the fox such an insurmountable problem for you, why has it
targeted you in particular, how can most sane gardeners live with
foxes and just a few PLONKers not? Just because you don't want to live
in a world of diversification and wonder, don't try to change IT,
change yourself!

Go on jump, you know it makes sense.

My advice was simple and helpful, more importantly it was free.

Old 28-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

I'm thinking of suggesting to a neighbour that we leave the gate between our
properties open to allow their dog free access to our garden, but before I
do that I'd appreciate hearing comments from other urglers. What damage
could a Labrador do in a garden? I think the neighbour would be happy to
let her dog into our garden but I wouldn't want to create ill-feeling if
somewhere down the line I decide the dog is doing more damage than the foxes
and the gate should be closed again.

Why not explain all this, including your reservations, in an initial
chat with your neighbor? In fact, arranging a trial visit, supervised
by both parties might be a good idea if the neighbor is agreeable at
all to the idea. Any large (or small!) dog *can* do damage in a
garden, but it's not a given.
Old 28-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Registered User

Location: West Sussex

OK, we have a problem with foxes here (West Sussex) and they are very bold indeed. They will only stay out of the garden when the dog is actually present and since they are night creatures they can still be a nuisance. The lst suggestion was good some dogs wander all over flower beds etc without a backward glance so you need to know how the dog will behave in the garden and be prepared to PUP as we put it (Pick Up Poo).

Good luck hope the dog helps.
Old 28-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Sharon

You are making your life a misery, not the foxes, birds, rats, bugs,
crawlies, creepies etc, etc. If you cannot live with the world then
jump off a cliff and do yourself a favour,

You cannot live with foxes so they have to be at fault? !!!

Sorry, but you've completely missed the point. In fact, I'm an organic
gardener. I happily welcome birds (including pigeons and magpies),
squirrels, all the creepy crawlies, cats, etc, etc into my garden. Even the
foxes, which I've happily lived with for most of the past 10 years.

The problem with the foxes now is that they are rapidly increasing in
number. In fact, I believe birds are being discouraged from coming into the
garden, and I know we have fewer squirrels than we used to. We don't just
have foxes passing through our garden in the night-time. They sit in the
middle of our lawn through much of the day.

What will you do when a bird craps on your head, as I imagine it
happens often.

Actually, only once in almost 50 years. How many times have you been shat
on?

Now why is the fox such an insurmountable problem for you, why has it
targeted you in particular, how can most sane gardeners live with
foxes and just a few PLONKers not? Just because you don't want to live
in a world of diversification and wonder, don't try to change IT,
change yourself!

It is exactly because I want to live in a world of diversification and
wonder that I need to do something about the foxes. As for being targeted
in particular, is it beyond the realms of belief that if most of the people
around us have dogs (which is the case) and if dogs do deter foxes (which
may be the case), that our garden just might be a "target"?

Go on jump, you know it makes sense.

My advice was simple and helpful, more importantly it was free.

But most importantly, completely uninformed.

Old 28-02-2004, 12:42 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Sharon" wrote in message

snip

As with urban foxes, feeding Trolls only encourages them.

Ignore them and they will more than likely go and mess up someone elses
thread.

Also, don't rule out owning a dog because you will be away during the day.
That is if you would really like a dog for the dog's sake and your own, not
just as a purchased anti-fox device.
Some breeds e.g. Airedale terriers can be quite happy with the run of the
garden during the day as long as they get plenty of TLC morning and evening.
Not all dogs require a massive investment in walking.

Having said that, a puppy (or an Airedale bitch with a phantom pregnancy) is
likely to cause more damage at times than a whole host of foxes :-)

In the same way that a weed is a plant in the wrong place, vermin are just
animals in the wrong place.

Any 'bleeding heart' who feels that foxes are hard done by is more than
welcome to set up a fox sanctuary for the rehoming of unwanted urban foxes.

This is probably much more humane than just leaving them to over breed then
die back from the mange, as happened in Bristol.

Talk to your neighbour, and explain that you would like to try letting their
dog in your garden to deter the foxes.
Also explain that if it causes more problems that it solves you hope they
won't be offended if you try something else instead.
If it works, you could become a friend to the dog, and a potential dog
sitter when your neighbours go away.
Sometimes known as a win/win situation :-)

HTH
Dave R

Old 28-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Dr Jack Hammer

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:40:09 -0000, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

"Sharon" wrote in message

snip

As with urban foxes, feeding Trolls only encourages them.

Is that what drew you along?

Ignore them and they will more than likely go and mess up someone elses
thread.

Obviously not, you're here!

Also, don't rule out owning a dog because you will be away during the day.
That is if you would really like a dog for the dog's sake and your own, not
just as a purchased anti-fox device.
Some breeds e.g. Airedale terriers can be quite happy with the run of the
garden during the day as long as they get plenty of TLC morning and evening.
Not all dogs require a massive investment in walking.

No "pets" should be left alone for long periods, if you cannot "look
after" your pets properly, don't have them.

Having said that, a puppy (or an Airedale bitch with a phantom pregnancy) is
likely to cause more damage at times than a whole host of foxes :-)

In the same way that a weed is a plant in the wrong place, vermin are just
animals in the wrong place.

Any 'bleeding heart' who feels that foxes are hard done by is more than
welcome to set up a fox sanctuary for the rehoming of unwanted urban foxes.

Who says they are unwanted, aside from a few trolls who have a real
trouble with life and clearly don't know much about gardening either?

This is probably much more humane than just leaving them to over breed then
die back from the mange, as happened in Bristol.

They don't over breed, are not pack animals and mange is easily
treatable as long as you are not an ignorant **** who is prepared to
just stand by and bleat while they suffer. In fact any animal
sanctuary will provide treatment for mange and free.

Old 28-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Dr Jack Hammer

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:17:44 +0000 (UTC), "Sharon"
wrote:

You are making your life a misery, not the foxes, birds, rats, bugs,
crawlies, creepies etc, etc. If you cannot live with the world then
jump off a cliff and do yourself a favour,

You cannot live with foxes so they have to be at fault? !!!

Sorry, but you've completely missed the point. In fact, I'm an organic
gardener. I happily welcome birds (including pigeons and magpies),
squirrels, all the creepy crawlies, cats, etc, etc into my garden. Even the
foxes, which I've happily lived with for most of the past 10 years.

Good girl.

The problem with the foxes now is that they are rapidly increasing in
number.

That's a lie, foxes are territorial and only young family members will
stay together and then fairly briefly, before finding their own areas
to live.

In fact, I believe birds are being discouraged from coming into the
garden, and I know we have fewer squirrels than we used to. We don't just
have foxes passing through our garden in the night-time. They sit in the
middle of our lawn through much of the day.

That's life. Think yourself lucky.

What will you do when a bird craps on your head, as I imagine it
happens often.

Actually, only once in almost 50 years. How many times have you been shat
on?

Now why is the fox such an insurmountable problem for you, why has it
targeted you in particular, how can most sane gardeners live with
foxes and just a few PLONKers not? Just because you don't want to live
in a world of diversification and wonder, don't try to change IT,
change yourself!

It is exactly because I want to live in a world of diversification and
wonder that I need to do something about the foxes.

The foxes sound fine, you need to do something with yourself.

As for being targeted
in particular, is it beyond the realms of belief that if most of the people
around us have dogs (which is the case) and if dogs do deter foxes (which
may be the case), that our garden just might be a "target"?

So a family of foxes has taken to sitting in your garden in the
daytime and you feel you are a target? sigh.

Go on jump, you know it makes sense.

My advice was simple and helpful, more importantly it was free.

But most importantly, completely uninformed.

Enough to manage your petty, self inflicted problems.

Old 28-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Sharon

I am sorry for posting this test message. My responses to "Dr. Jack Hammer"
are being blocked in some way, and I am trying to find out what has
happened.

Old 28-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Dr Jack Hammer

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:14:05 +0000 (UTC), "Sharon"
wrote:

I am sorry for posting this test message. My responses to "Dr. Jack Hammer"
are being blocked in some way, and I am trying to find out what has
happened.

That's two messages now, OT and with nothing to say. has your BP risen
and you are delirious?

If you are having a panic attack keep it to yourself or post to
alt.test