Old 18-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Franz Heymann

"BAC" wrote in message
.. .

"GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY" wrote in

message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote

in
message ...

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Franz
Happy Birthday to you

Even if I am a cantankerous old argumentative octogenarian?

Many thanks, Janet. I appreciate it more than you realise.

But to get to the point: How on earth did you discover when my
birthday is, a n that I am not a mere youngster?

Give 'im the bumps I say :0)

That custom seems to have all but died out, I fear. Besides, he

might prefer
a tradition associated with a country other than England, there are

quite a
few to choose from, according to
http://www.ebirthdaycards.org/traditions.htm

That made an interesting read.

Franz

Old 18-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Franz Heymann

"Robert" wrote in message
Happy Birthday Franz, you don't know me but we have 'corresponded' a

few
times.

Many thanks, Robert.

Franz

Old 18-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Franz
Happy Birthday to you

Even if I am a cantankerous old argumentative octogenarian?

Yes indeed - from a c.o.a. septuagenarian.
Keep digging Franz!

Impossible. Most of my garden has less than 6 inches of soil over
shattered sandstone. It is even difficult to push stakes into the
ground. The interesting thing is that the soil is in fact quite well
drained.

Anyway, thanks for the good wishes, Alan.

Franz

Old 18-08-2004, 10:51 PM
Sacha

On 18/8/04 14:51, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY" wrote in
message ...

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote

in
message ...

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Franz
Happy Birthday to you

Even if I am a cantankerous old argumentative octogenarian?

Many thanks, Janet. I appreciate it more than you realise.

But to get to the point: How on earth did you discover when my
birthday is, a n that I am not a mere youngster?

Give 'im the bumps I say :0)

Does a double sized single of Laphroig count a one or two of the
bumps?

No, it means you're calling the shots!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-08-2004, 07:30 AM
JennyC

"Franz Heymann" wrote

http://www.ebirthdaycards.org/traditions.htm

That made an interesting read.
Franz

I read it too and found the description of Dutch tradition a little
lacking.............The 'birthday bash' is about the only thing I HATE about
Holland. It's a minefield of rules, tradition and one can easily upset all and
sundry by not complying with the (unspoken) rules"~(

Found this site which covers it well :
http://www.haarlemshuffle.com/expatzone/life/page2.html

Jenny

Old 19-08-2004, 09:13 AM
jane

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:09:01 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

~
~ Happy Birthday to you
~ Happy Birthday to you
~ Happy Birthday dear Franz
~ Happy Birthday to you
~

oh! Missed this post yesterday...

Happy birthday from me, too!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 19-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Sacha

On 19/8/04 10:13, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:
snip

You do not know how much I appreciate the good wishes from you, Sacha.
I thought you had killfiled me because I expressed some critical words
about you some while ago. May I take it that that is all dead and
buried now?

Franz

Oh, Franz. If everyone who has ever crossed swords with someone else on
this group stopped 'talking' to them, the entire group would be dead and
buried by now!! My own initial sorties here were a very bumpy ride, I can
tell you. The hatchet is buried and not between our shoulder blades. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Mike Lyle

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Franz
Happy Birthday to you

Even if I am a cantankerous old argumentative octogenarian?

Yes indeed - from a c.o.a. septuagenarian.
Keep digging Franz!

Impossible. Most of my garden has less than 6 inches of soil over
shattered sandstone. It is even difficult to push stakes into the
ground. The interesting thing is that the soil is in fact quite well
drained.

Anyway, thanks for the good wishes, Alan.

Sorry I missed the party, Franz. Many more of them, and keep
cantankering!

I didn't get you a present; but if you like I'll start an argument
about why you seem surprised that a shattered sandstone subsoil should
be quite well drained...My last garden was on boulder clay, while only
five miles off they were on the Devonian red stuff: the timing
difference was dramatic, but our late soil cropped more heavily.

Mike.
Old 19-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Franz Heymann

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 19/8/04 10:13, in article ,

"Franz
Heymann" wrote:
snip

You do not know how much I appreciate the good wishes from you,

Sacha.
I thought you had killfiled me because I expressed some critical

words
about you some while ago. May I take it that that is all dead and
buried now?

Franz

Oh, Franz. If everyone who has ever crossed swords with someone

else on
this group stopped 'talking' to them, the entire group would be dead

and
buried by now!! My own initial sorties here were a very bumpy ride,

I can
tell you. The hatchet is buried and not between our shoulder

blades. ;-)

Right. Stand by for the next blast from me. {:-))

Franz

Old 19-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Franz Heymann

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote

http://www.ebirthdaycards.org/traditions.htm

That made an interesting read.
Franz

I read it too and found the description of Dutch tradition a little
lacking.............The 'birthday bash' is about the only thing I

HATE about
Holland. It's a minefield of rules, tradition and one can easily

upset all and
sundry by not complying with the (unspoken) rules"~(

Found this site which covers it well :
http://www.haarlemshuffle.com/expatzone/life/page2.html

I will have a look at it. In the meantime, it sounds as if it might
have affinities with what my friend in Holland once said the correct
form of addressing me in Holland would be, namely Zeer
HoochWeledelgeleerde Heer Professor Doktor Heymann

Franz

Old 19-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 08:30:24 +0200, "JennyC"

wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote

http://www.ebirthdaycards.org/traditions.htm

That made an interesting read.
Franz

I read it too and found the description of Dutch tradition a little
lacking.............The 'birthday bash' is about the only thing I

HATE about
Holland.

Looks out of the window, black clouds, rain sheeting down, trees

bent
double, cats and small plants airborne Are you really really sure?

It's a minefield of rules, tradition and one can easily upset all

and
sundry by not complying with the (unspoken) rules"~(

birthdays catalogued on a planning sheet pinned to the toilet

door...

I have a brother who occupies the position of The Keeper of the Dates.
His timely reminders to all the family makes sure that nobody forgets
anybody's hatch, match and dispatch dates.

Franz