Old 21-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Hmm

Default Killing Bamboo

Anyone know how to get rid of bamboo that is slowly spreading its roots
across the garden please?
They are so thick and matted that digging them up is nearly impossible.
I need something that can be put on the main patch but will also kill all
the far-reaching roots.

Old 21-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Franz Heymann

"Hmm" Hmm@somewhere wrote in message
Anyone know how to get rid of bamboo that is slowly spreading its

roots
across the garden please?
They are so thick and matted that digging them up is nearly

impossible.
I need something that can be put on the main patch but will also

kill all
the far-reaching roots.

You might try spraying glyphosate (Roundup and others) on all the
green parts. But having fought a battle against bamboo some years
ago, I know that you will have to apply it quite a few times at
fortnightly intervals when it is in full growth.

Franz

Old 21-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Phil L

Martin wrote:
:: On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:26:09 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
:: wrote:
::
:::
::: "Hmm" Hmm@somewhere wrote in message
::: ...
:::: Anyone know how to get rid of bamboo that is slowly spreading
:::: its roots across the garden please?
:::: They are so thick and matted that digging them up is nearly
:::: impossible. I need something that can be put on the main patch
:::: but will also kill all the far-reaching roots.
:::
::: You might try spraying glyphosate (Roundup and others) on all the
::: green parts. But having fought a battle against bamboo some years
::: ago, I know that you will have to apply it quite a few times at
::: fortnightly intervals when it is in full growth.
::
:: You could try breeding pandas.
::
:: Do you get a commission for advertising products based on
:: glyphosate?

Do you get a commission for advertising the sale of pandas?

:-p

Old 21-08-2004, 06:12 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

"Hmm" Hmm@somewhere wrote in message
Anyone know how to get rid of bamboo that is slowly spreading its

roots
across the garden please?
They are so thick and matted that digging them up is nearly

impossible.
I need something that can be put on the main patch but will also

kill all
the far-reaching roots.

You might try spraying glyphosate (Roundup and others) on all the
green parts. But having fought a battle against bamboo some years
ago, I know that you will have to apply it quite a few times at
fortnightly intervals when it is in full growth.

You could try breeding pandas.

Do you get a commission for advertising products based on

glyphosate?
)

That was the only one on sale at the lasr three garden centres I
visited, and I was not certain whether the OP knew how to find
glyphosate. My apologies.

Franz
--
Martin

Old 23-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Martin
writes
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:12:08 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

You might try spraying glyphosate (Roundup and others) on all the
green parts. But having fought a battle against bamboo some years
ago, I know that you will have to apply it quite a few times at
fortnightly intervals when it is in full growth.

You could try breeding pandas.

Do you get a commission for advertising products based on

glyphosate?
)

That was the only one on sale at the lasr three garden centres I
visited, and I was not certain whether the OP knew how to find
glyphosate. My apologies.

No need to apologise. Only Roundup is on sale in these parts too.

Are you sure about that?

Most big chain DIY stores (eg B&Q, Homebase) have their own brand of
glyphosate based weedkiller. And Zeneca (or whatever they are called
this week) has another glyphosate salt weedkiller that is essentially
equivalent.

No point putting more money into Monsanto's coffers when you can buy
cheaper generics with a higher percentage of active ingredient.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Old 23-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Martin
writes
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:53:48 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Most big chain DIY stores (eg B&Q, Homebase) have their own brand of
glyphosate based weedkiller. And Zeneca (or whatever they are called
this week) has another glyphosate salt weedkiller that is essentially
equivalent.

By these parts I meant the Leiden area of Zuid Holland.
Sorry for the confusion.

I think that in Belgium the Brico DIY chain had their own brand
glyphosate.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 11-04-2005, 10:25 PM
tom

Couldnt you use a sharp half moon edging tool to cut out the ones you
dont want, then bury a plastic barrier in the soil around the bits you
want to keep. that will stop it spreading again.

I'll have the bits you dont want as i would love to try some bamboo.

"Hmm" Hmm@somewhere wrote in message
Anyone know how to get rid of bamboo that is slowly spreading its

roots
across the garden please?
They are so thick and matted that digging them up is nearly

impossible.

Am I Killing My Bamboo? hardcoresoldier Bamboo 4 21-07-2010 08:59 PM
killing bamboo me Gardening 6 20-07-2005 01:48 PM
killing bamboo Snooze Gardening 10 16-07-2004 02:02 AM
Bamboo wanted. Have Black bamboo and "Alphonse Karr" Annabel United Kingdom 2 12-06-2003 03:56 AM
Bamboo root depth and drought - was: Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida Rick DeBay Bamboo 1 13-03-2003 05:33 PM