Old 25-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Black Shuck

Default Is it just me??

I when I come to use the strimmer int he garden, I spend more time
taking it apart to get some more line, than I do strimming. It would be
quicker using scissors.

This is true for every strimmer I have ever owned.

What's wrong? Is it me? Are there any tips? (I never see the council
workers changing strimmer wire all the time...)

--
"This dog don't give a feck..."
Old 25-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Gary Woods

Black Shuck wrote:

I when I come to use the strimmer int he garden, I spend more time
taking it apart to get some more line, than I do strimming.

I have an ancient Stihl strimmer with a "tap on the ground to feed" head.
Never had any problem unless the string was down to the last couple of
turns around the spool. You should probably check with a servicing dealer
to make sure you haven't done something dumb* like winding the string the
wrong way or putting something together oddly.

*If you can find a dumb thing to do that _I_ haven't already done, you're
truly creative!

Peace,

Old 25-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Richard Sterry

Black Shuck wrote:
I when I come to use the strimmer int he garden, I spend more time
taking it apart to get some more line, than I do strimming. It would be
quicker using scissors.

This is true for every strimmer I have ever owned.

What's wrong? Is it me? Are there any tips? (I never see the council
workers changing strimmer wire all the time...)

No, it isn't you! My auto-feed Flymo strimmer doesn't auto feed, well, not
reliably.

Rick

Old 25-08-2004, 09:41 PM
David Hill

Black Shuck wrote

"........ I when I come to use the strimmer int he garden, I spend more time
taking it apart to get some more line, than I do strimming. It would be
quicker using scissors .........."

You don't say what sort of strimmer you use.
You don't say what you are trying to cut either, but I would try getting
heavier line, also sounds as if you don't wind your line tight enough onto
the spool.
With the better machines you can get a head that takes Nylon blades, these
could be better for you if your machine will take the head.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 25-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Bob Hobden

"Gary Woods" wrote after...
Black Shuck wrote:

I when I come to use the strimmer int he garden, I spend more time
taking it apart to get some more line, than I do strimming.

I have an ancient Stihl strimmer with a "tap on the ground to feed" head.
Never had any problem unless the string was down to the last couple of
turns around the spool. You should probably check with a servicing dealer
to make sure you haven't done something dumb* like winding the string the
wrong way or putting something together oddly.

*If you can find a dumb thing to do that _I_ haven't already done, you're
truly creative!

I also don't have a problem with my Husqvarna petrol strimmer, tap the head
on the ground and out comes more line or just pull more out after pressing
the central button.
What make/model are you having trouble with? Someone here may have a cure
for your problem, besides buying a Stilh or Husqvarna that is. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Old 26-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Doug.

"Black Shuck" wrote in message
I when I come to use the strimmer int he garden, I spend more time
taking it apart to get some more line, than I do strimming. It would

be
quicker using scissors.

This is true for every strimmer I have ever owned.

What's wrong? Is it me? Are there any tips? (I never see the

council
workers changing strimmer wire all the time...)

--
"This dog don't give a feck...

*******
I have had the same experience. Three strimmers in three years. The
common or garden strimmers use plastic line for cutting, perhaps the
Corporation wallahs have professional strimmers with wire line
cutters -, I dunno..
Suggestion, - try training your pooch to be a bit more generous and give
away a feck or two now and then.. There's nothing worse than having a
selfish mutt that hoards its fecks.
Doug
******

Old 26-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Mike Lyle

"Doug." wrote in message ...
[...]
Suggestion, - try training your pooch to be a bit more generous and give
away a feck or two now and then.. There's nothing worse than having a
selfish mutt that hoards its fecks.

I dunno: a feckless mutt is pretty bad, too.

Mike.
Old 26-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Black Shuck

David Hill wrote:

Black Shuck wrote

"........ I when I come to use the strimmer int he garden, I spend more time
taking it apart to get some more line, than I do strimming. It would be
quicker using scissors .........."

You don't say what sort of strimmer you use.
You don't say what you are trying to cut either, but I would try getting
heavier line, also sounds as if you don't wind your line tight enough onto
the spool.
With the better machines you can get a head that takes Nylon blades, these
could be better for you if your machine will take the head.

It's a JCB Petrol strimmer, got it from Argos earlier this year, but the
previous electric strimmer did the same. The wire that is breaking, is
from the original spool wound by the manufacturer.

Do you know where I can get these nylon blades? Very interested....

--
"This dog don't give a feck..."