Old 28-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Diane Epps

Default Honeysuckle

I have a nice honeysuckle which is growing over a trellis but it is a bit
thread bare so I thought I would prune it right back and re grow it but I am
unsure at what season I should do this would it be better left until spring
or should I give it a real hair cut now?

--
Never drive faster than your angel can fly

Old 28-08-2004, 07:49 AM
atwifa

you can cut it back now (by about 2/3, is the usual amount) but you will be
cutting off next year's flowers in the process. honeysuckle you would
normally cut back just after it has flowered.

Old 28-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Kay

In article , atwifa
writes
you can cut it back now (by about 2/3, is the usual amount) but you will be
cutting off next year's flowers in the process. honeysuckle you would
normally cut back just after it has flowered.

Though if you do that you lose the berries. Not all of them berry well,
but one of my plants does, and it's a real treat at this time of year.
--
Kay

Old 28-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , atwifa
writes
you can cut it back now (by about 2/3, is the usual amount) but you will be
cutting off next year's flowers in the process. honeysuckle you would
normally cut back just after it has flowered.

Though if you do that you lose the berries. Not all of them berry well,
but one of my plants does, and it's a real treat at this time of year.

Eh? All of mine flower on the current year's growth, and I grow
5 species (L. periclymenum, L. japonica, L. henryi, L. x brownii
and L. x tellmanniana). All can be cut back hard any time from
now until they start to shoot (and a bit thereafter), but only the
ones that shoot from the base (mainly L. japonica) can actually
be cut down to ground level or back to REALLY old wood.

And, yes, I do that :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.