Old 07-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Charlie Pridham

"BAC" wrote in message
. ..

"Mike" wrote in message

In Oz they have become aware of the unsolved problem of wind farms
producing output when it can't be used and not producing output when
it is needed, just as the Danes have after both have invested a vast
amount in wind farms. UK next?
--
Martin

"The Tide regularly Ebbs and Flows, twice in every 24 hours". Can

someone
please explain to me why tidal power has not been harnessed?

Tidal flow has been used to generate electricity on the Rance estuary in
Northern France, I believe. 'Tide mills' were in use on tidal parts of
rivers back in the middle ages, and electrical generating stations would
work on a similar principal but on a much larger scale.

I don't know why no-one has yet built a tidal flow power station in the

UK,
but I'd guess cost has something to do with it, plus concerns about the
effects of damming up major rivers on sewage disposal and the ecologies of
the areas which would be changed by the damming.

I think the French had a lot of trouble with sand wearing out the turbines.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 07-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Kay

In article , BAC
writes

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from contains these words:

In Oz they have become aware of the unsolved problem of wind farms
producing output when it can't be used and not producing output when
it is needed, just as the Danes have after both have invested a vast
amount in wind farms. UK next?

The UK has a national power grid and high population density so there
isn't any problem of UK windfarms producing surplus power that can't be
used; they just feed it into the grid.

Just feeding it into the grid doesn't necessarily mean it gets put to any
actual or practical use, though. Distance between point of input to the grid
and point of use is still a factor, because of losses associated with Joule
heating, so generating facilities located re,otely from centres of heavy
demand are relatively inefficient in meeting that demand. Further,
additional power input to the grid at times when supply already exceeds
demand is still wasted.

Granted, those aren't problems to the wind turbine operators as long as the
grid is obliged to accept energy input from them whether or not needed
locally at the time.

There is another solution, given a National Grid - accept energy from
sources which can't be easily turned on and off, and not from those
which can. It's unlikely that wind power will provide too much
electricity by itself in the forseeable future, even at times of low
demand.

--
Kay

Old 08-03-2005, 10:29 AM
BAC

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

Tidal flow has been used to generate electricity on the Rance estuary in
Northern France, I believe.

Pelamis has supplied wave-generated power to the national grid from

Orkney

Perhaps, but as you say, that is wave generated power, not tidal flow
generated power.

I don't know why no-one has yet built a tidal flow power station in the

UK,

Google on European Marine Energy Centre.

IIRC, it didn't include tidal flow generation facilities as built, that was
something reserved for the future, and would require an extension.

It's in Scotland.

In the same sense that the Isles of Scilly are in England, I suppose.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:35 AM
BAC

wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:44:59 -0000, "BAC"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

In Oz they have become aware of the unsolved problem of wind farms
producing output when it can't be used and not producing output when
it is needed, just as the Danes have after both have invested a vast
amount in wind farms. UK next?
--
Martin

"The Tide regularly Ebbs and Flows, twice in every 24 hours". Can

someone
please explain to me why tidal power has not been harnessed?

Tidal flow has been used to generate electricity on the Rance estuary in
Northern France, I believe.

This has resulted in the Rance silting up.

Has it? If so, that's not entirely surprising. Any system which 'ponds' fast
flowing water is likely to cause some of the solids carried by that water to
settle out.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike" wrote in message

In Oz they have become aware of the unsolved problem of wind farms
producing output when it can't be used and not producing output

when
it is needed, just as the Danes have after both have invested a

vast
amount in wind farms. UK next?
--
Martin

"The Tide regularly Ebbs and Flows, twice in every 24 hours". Can

someone
please explain to me why tidal power has not been harnessed?

Think of the variations between springs and neaps
Think of the 50% duty cycle.
Think of the public outcry when there was talk about a Severn barrage
for harnessing tidal power.

I can predict with 101% accuracy that the same will be happening in

10
years, 50 years, 1000 years time. Where is the doubt?

Franz

Old 08-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from contains these words:

In Oz they have become aware of the unsolved problem of wind farms
producing output when it can't be used and not producing output

when
it is needed, just as the Danes have after both have invested a

vast
amount in wind farms. UK next?

The UK has a national power grid and high population density so

there
isn't any problem of UK windfarms producing surplus power that

can't be
used; they just feed it into the grid.

The grid is not an effective store. It is primarily a distribution
system. Power generated at the wrong time is power generated at the
wrong time and can be utilised only by other generating units mucking
about with their boiling rates.
Most generating organisations sell the off peak stuff cheap rather
than fiddling continuously with the boilers.

As an island sitting on the west edge of a huge ocean, the UK

overall is
significantly windier than Denmark or a huge dry landmass like
Australia, so UK windfarms have a much lower proportion of

still-time
when they aren't generating. The Ardrossan one I can see from here

is
very, very rarely still.

What does sitting on the west end of a huge ocean have to do with
experiencing significantly more wind than being on the edge of, or in
the middle of a dry land mass? A study of the daily isobar maps
presented by the various weather witch doctors shows no features which
might favour your premise.

Incidentally, last Sunday we noticed the huge windmills right on the
edge (I do mean right on the edge) of a substantial village with tall
buildings, in Weardale. A more ridiculous spot for windmills is hard
to imagine. I wonder what the owners had to do to get planning
permission.

Franz

Old 08-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
[...]

That last sentence of Kay is a clear enough statement that the
present fashoin of favouring wind power is deeply flawed.
There really is no alternative to developing nuclear power stations as
fast as possible, all over he world. The whole brouhaha about
managing spent fuel and radioactive waste is entirely a political
problem. Scientific solutions do exist

But this is not gardening {:-((

Franz.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Charlie Pridham

wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:00:41 +0100, Tim Challenger
wrote:

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 02:12:41 GMT, Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from contains these words:

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:18:28 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from
contains these words:

There is no way of storing or using a surplus when electricity is over
produced.

Yes there is, in wales where they pump water up to a high resevoir to use
surplus power then release it through turbines when they need extra

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

There's plenty of detailed reports about the problems on the web,
google to find them.
--
Martin

Old 09-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:26:31 -0000, Charlie Pridham wrote:

There is no way of storing or using a surplus when electricity is over
produced.

Yes there is, in wales where they pump water up to a high resevoir to use
surplus power then release it through turbines when they need extra

That's what they do in Austria in a few places as well. It's an option only
viable where there are mountains really, but in the future any excess could
be used for making hydrogen for fuel cells. That's relatively easy to
store.

--
Tim C.