Old 11-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Bez

Default Runner Bean Recipe.

Ingredients.

Two and Half pounds runners.
one and half pints distilled vinegar.
one and half pounds onions.
10oz demerara sugar.
one level tablespoon turmeric.
two level tablespoons mustard dry.
two level tablespoons cornflour.

Method.

String beans and slice diagonally into three quarter inch.
Peel and slice onions.
Pour one pint of the vinegar into the pan, add runners and onions, then
cover and simmer for fifteen minutes until tender.
Blend cornflour, turmeric and mustard into a paste with a little of the
remaining vinegar.
Add to the pan with sugar and remaining vinegar.
Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer gently for ten minutes
stirring ocassionally.
Spoon into warmed jars and allow to cool before covering.

Enjoy.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Kate Morgan

making bits snipped
Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer gently for ten minutes
stirring ocassionally.
Spoon into warmed jars and allow to cool before covering.

Enjoy.

Thank you so much for that. My beans have almost finished cropping but
I think there is enough to give it a go :-)

kate
Old 12-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Jeanne Stockdale

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
. ..
making bits snipped
Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer gently for ten

minutes
stirring ocassionally.
Spoon into warmed jars and allow to cool before covering.

Enjoy.

Thank you so much for that. My beans have almost finished cropping but
I think there is enough to give it a go :-)

kate

Slighly mystified over the end product on this one !
Do you end up with a "preserve" or a "comsume now" pruduct ?

Pete (with a lot of runners)
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 13-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Bez" contains these words:

Hi, This is a pickle and will last several months.

Only several - or rather, only months?

Some of my pickles and chutneys have been improving in their jars for
several years...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 14-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Robert E A Harvey

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in message . uk...
The message
from "Bez" contains these words:

Hi, This is a pickle and will last several months.

Only several - or rather, only months?

Some of my pickles and chutneys have been improving in their jars for
several years...

WOuldn't last 2 days in this house...
Old 21-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Bill

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:23:40 +0100, "Bez"
wrote:

At this time of surplus runner beans and tomatoes my wife makes a
cracking bean and tomato salad. The beans are sliced & parboiled to
soften them and drained & mixed with the sliced tomatoes to cool.

The sauce is:
tablespoon wine vinegar
half teaspoon Worcester sauce
75mL olive oil
salt & pepper &chopped parsley to suit taste.

Leave for an hour to mingle flavours.
Scrumptious

Bill
Old 24-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

At this time of surplus runner beans and tomatoes my wife makes a
cracking bean and tomato salad. The beans are sliced & parboiled

soften them and drained & mixed with the sliced tomatoes to cool.

The sauce is:
tablespoon wine vinegar
half teaspoon Worcester sauce
75mL olive oil
salt & pepper &chopped parsley to suit taste.

Leave for an hour to mingle flavours.
Scrumptious

Mm! But no garlic or spring onion?

Mike.