Old 18-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Zipadee Doodar

Default securing glass carboy

Bro-in-law found an old 4 gallon carboy among weeds at his new house and
gave it to me for winemaking. However, after cleaning, it is apparent that
there is a crack across the bottom, which allows water to leak out very
slowly, so, to plan B - a bottle garden.

The crack seems quite secure, and unlikely to spread, but is there anything
I can use to secure it before I begin to plant it up? Mrs Doodar likes the
idea of the bottle garden in the porch, but is concerned at the safety
aspect.
Thnx.

ZD

Old 18-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Sam

The crack seems quite secure, and unlikely to spread, but is there
anything
I can use to secure it before I begin to plant it up? Mrs Doodar likes the
idea of the bottle garden in the porch, but is concerned at the safety
aspect.
Thnx.

I saved a nice old earthenware pot with a hairline crack by dripping thin
superglue down the crack to hold it together. You have to use the thin stuff
though, which is available from model shops. Also if the outside of the
crack is visible the glue will leak out and leave unsightly drips, it's an
absolute bugger to clean up as well. I had to use a wirebrush on a drill to
sort it out.

Sam

Old 19-09-2004, 07:38 AM
Brian Watson

"Sam" wrote in message

The crack seems quite secure, and unlikely to spread, but is there
anything
I can use to secure it before I begin to plant it up? Mrs Doodar likes

the
idea of the bottle garden in the porch, but is concerned at the safety
aspect.
Thnx.

I saved a nice old earthenware pot with a hairline crack by dripping thin
superglue down the crack to hold it together. You have to use the thin

stuff
though, which is available from model shops.

There is a type of superglue designed for use with glass that is cured by
exposing it to sunlight.

--
Brian
Henry Fielding: "All Nature wears one universal grin"

Old 19-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Brian Watson
writes

"Sam" wrote in message

The crack seems quite secure, and unlikely to spread, but is there
anything
I can use to secure it before I begin to plant it up? Mrs Doodar likes

the
idea of the bottle garden in the porch, but is concerned at the safety
aspect.
Thnx.

I saved a nice old earthenware pot with a hairline crack by dripping thin
superglue down the crack to hold it together. You have to use the thin

stuff
though, which is available from model shops.

There is a type of superglue designed for use with glass that is cured by
exposing it to sunlight.

Ordinary superglue isn't such a good choice if the intended use is as a
bottle garden. Classic cyanoacrylate adhesives are intended to be
slightly water soluble by design. Not something you want in a wet
environment.

I don't know if the UV cure version is water proof or not. It might well
be OK.

Or try clear epoxy, DPX slide mountant or old fashioned Canada balsam.
If it isn't load bearing all you want is something to seal the crack and
stop it propagating further.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 19-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
In message , Brian Watson
writes

"Sam" wrote in message

[...]

That second requirement is the hard part. I am not convinced that any
glue is going to prevent the crack from propagating when the bottle is
jarred.

Franz

Old 19-09-2004, 11:18 PM
David Hill

Franz replied ".......That second requirement is the hard part. I am
not convinced that any glue is going to prevent the crack from propagating
when the bottle is jarred. ......."

I would ask at one of the firms that replaces car windscreens, they are able
to seal small cracks in windscreens, and may have some idea how to stop the
crack running.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 20-09-2004, 05:13 AM
David Pearson

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

That second requirement is the hard part. I am not convinced that any
glue is going to prevent the crack from propagating when the bottle is
jarred.

Isn't a traditional way of stopping cracks in glass, to drill
a small hole a short distance in front of the head of the crack?
Then fill it with glue, I suppose.

Just an idea - I have not tried it!