Old 24-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Phil L

PK wrote:
:: Phil L wrote:
:::
::: When you come to relay the flags, rake the sand base level and
::: sprinkle in a few shovel fulls of cement,[1] you don't need to
::: mix water with it, there's enough in the sand.
::: Rake it in to mix it up a bit and lay the flags directly onto
::: the bed, do'nt use 'blobs' of sand/cement as this just leaves
::: voids underneth each flag, moreover, this blobbing is no good
::: IMV (I lay drives for a living) as the rain will simply wash
::: the sand from underneath the solid blobs leaving each flag
::: rocking...simply lay them on a dry sand/cement mix and the
::: overall effect will be a semi-solid bed with flags on top.
::: You will still get colonies of ants taking up residence but
::: they will be much smaller nests and will be unable to make much
::: of a dent on the foundation.
::
::
:: Agree with all that, but there is a common misconception about the
:: "5-spot" method of laying slabs.
::
:: As you recommend, the full bed dry sand/cement method is by far
:: the best, but can be difficult for the amateur as the bed need to
:: be evenly compacted and levelling the slabs can be a real bind.
:: Too much or too little bedding and you have to lift the slab out
:: again. It is a far more skilled job than it might look.
::
You are indeed correct - I never thought that it may be more than a little
tricky for 'beginners'.

:: The "5-spot method" is easier for the amateur as the blobs can be
:: set high and the slabs gently tapped down to the correct level.
:: BUT, and it is and important BUT, we are not talking airy fairy
:: fist sized blobs, but big spade sized blobs that effectively meet
:: in the centre of the slab as it is levelled down. the net effect
:: is a nearly-full bed of wet mortar.
::
:: All professionals I know use the dry or semi dry method.
::
:: pk

I agree, but he will need a *lot* of sand and cement mixing to do it this
way, which adds expense and time to the job...it may work out cheaper just
to get someone in to do it, although for such a project, my prices would
work out at approximately £20 per square metre...he may find someone cheaper
locally.

Old 24-09-2004, 07:55 PM
BAC

"Phil L" wrote in message
.. .
PK wrote:

SNIP

I agree, but he will need a *lot* of sand and cement mixing to do it this
way, which adds expense and time to the job...it may work out cheaper just
to get someone in to do it, although for such a project, my prices would
work out at approximately £20 per square metre...he may find someone

cheaper
locally.

Current BCIS guideprice for removing and replacing level paving with 50mm
precast concrete flags is just over £40/m2 excluding VAT, including all
necessary excavation, sub-base, etc. Assuming his 60 metres square means 60
m2, that's a tidy sum. Mind you, if he means 60 metres by 60 metres, that's
the best part of an acre, and it would be damned expensive.

Old 25-09-2004, 06:46 AM
Franz Heymann

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote in message
.. .
PK wrote:

SNIP

I agree, but he will need a *lot* of sand and cement mixing to

do
it this
way, which adds expense and time to the job...it may work out

cheaper just
to get someone in to do it, although for such a project, my

prices
would
work out at approximately £20 per square metre...he may find

someone
cheaper
locally.

Current BCIS guideprice for removing and replacing level paving

with
50mm

500 mm?

Oops. I guess you meant thickness.

[snip]

Franz

Old 25-09-2004, 10:28 PM
BAC

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote in message
.. .
PK wrote:

SNIP

I agree, but he will need a *lot* of sand and cement mixing to do

it this
way, which adds expense and time to the job...it may work out

cheaper just
to get someone in to do it, although for such a project, my prices

would
work out at approximately £20 per square metre...he may find

someone
cheaper
locally.

Current BCIS guideprice for removing and replacing level paving with

50mm

500 mm?

Definitely 50 mm, thickness :-)

Old 25-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Phil L

BAC wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: .. .
::: PK wrote:
:: SNIP
:::
::: I agree, but he will need a *lot* of sand and cement mixing to do
::: it this way, which adds expense and time to the job...it may work
::: out cheaper just to get someone in to do it, although for such a
::: project, my prices would work out at approximately £20 per square
::: metre...he may find someone cheaper locally.
:::
:::
::
:: Current BCIS guideprice for removing and replacing level paving
:: with 50mm precast concrete flags is just over £40/m2 excluding
:: VAT, including all necessary excavation, sub-base, etc.

These prices are way out...maybe if I was supplying the flags, then yes, but
these are already on site...60 square metres would take me no longer than
6 - 7 days working alone and I would need to buy a couple of tonnes of sand
and about £50 worth of cement...the ground is already excavated, prepared
and compacted.

Assuming
:: his 60 metres square means 60 m2, that's a tidy sum. Mind you, if
:: he means 60 metres by 60 metres, that's the best part of an acre,
:: and it would be damned expensive.

his 60m2 would equate to almost two and half grand by those prices, I could
do it for about half that and still make £150+ per day.

Old 25-09-2004, 10:38 PM
BAC

"Phil L" wrote in message
.. .
BAC wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: .. .
::: PK wrote:
:: SNIP
:::
[...]

The BCIS price estimate includes excavating and disposing of the old flags
and replacing with new.

Old 24-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Franz Heymann

"Phil L" wrote in message
.. .
PK wrote:
:: Phil L wrote:
:::
[...]

At 60 m square, as the OP claims the size to be, that will cost him a
cool £72000.

Franz

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM