Old 24-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Mcploppy ©

Default Ants

Hi All,

For the past few years I hve been having a lot of bother with ants under my
patio, the result is now my slabs are becoming uneven as the little "things"
are erroding the base away.

I intend to lift the slabs and relay the entire patio... but first would
like to find out how to totally erradicate the little "things".

Over the years I have used many different powders and sprays... still the
little "things" keep coming back.

Suggestions ????

TIA

--
McPloppy ©

{ Remove both MyShoes to email me }
{ Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/bbel }
{ Local Radio: http://tinyurl.com/j1vi }
{ My Alternative Site: http://tinyurl.com/rynb }

Old 24-09-2004, 01:28 PM
BAC

"Mcploppy ©" wrote in message
Hi All,

For the past few years I hve been having a lot of bother with ants under

my
patio, the result is now my slabs are becoming uneven as the little

"things"
are erroding the base away.

I intend to lift the slabs and relay the entire patio... but first would
like to find out how to totally erradicate the little "things".

Over the years I have used many different powders and sprays... still the
little "things" keep coming back.

Suggestions ????

I suggest that even if you were able to eliminate every ant's nest on your
property, it would be recolonised before too long. If you were to cast your
patio from concrete rather than laying down slabs, the ants would find it
much more difficult to undermine the construction.

Old 24-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Phil L

Mcploppy © wrote:
:: Hi All,
::
:: For the past few years I hve been having a lot of bother with ants
:: under my patio, the result is now my slabs are becoming uneven as
:: the little "things" are erroding the base away.
::
:: I intend to lift the slabs and relay the entire patio... but first
:: would like to find out how to totally erradicate the little
:: "things".
::
:: Over the years I have used many different powders and sprays...
:: still the little "things" keep coming back.
::
:: Suggestions ????
::
:: TIA

When you come to relay the flags, rake the sand base level and sprinkle in a
few shovel fulls of cement,[1] you don't need to mix water with it, there's
enough in the sand.
Rake it in to mix it up a bit and lay the flags directly onto the bed, do'nt
use 'blobs' of sand/cement as this just leaves voids underneth each flag,
moreover, this blobbing is no good IMV (I lay drives for a living) as the
rain will simply wash the sand from underneath the solid blobs leaving each
flag rocking...simply lay them on a dry sand/cement mix and the overall
effect will be a semi-solid bed with flags on top.
You will still get colonies of ants taking up residence but they will be
much smaller nests and will be unable to make much of a dent on the
foundation.

HTH

[1]
one bag of cement should cover about 8sq metres, mixed into a 50mm bed of
sand(don't worry about it not being mixed evenly - as long as the top inch
has /some/ cement in it, then it will set quite hard)

Old 24-09-2004, 03:18 PM
Mcploppy ©

Phil L typed:
Mcploppy © wrote:
[...]

Excellent..... fancy a job :-s

The thought of lifting the slabs does not fill me with excitement.... but it
has to be done.

Cheers

Old 24-09-2004, 03:25 PM
PK

Mcploppy © wrote:
Hi All,

For the past few years I hve been having a lot of bother with
ants under my patio, the result is now my slabs are becoming
uneven as the little "things" are erroding the base away.

I intend to lift the slabs and relay the entire patio... but
first would like to find out how to totally erradicate the
little "things".

Over the years I have used many different powders and sprays...
still the little "things" keep coming back.

Suggestions ????

TIA

Either lay the patio on a mortar bed (preferred) or mix in a small amount of
cement (10:1 ratio) to stabilise the sand

Also water the while area with a 20:1 armillatox mix - not to kill the ants
of course, that would be off label and illegal, but just to make sure the
soil is nicely washed and clean (;-). Also, the little buggers like to keep
their nests clean and appreciate a few drops of neat armillatox at the
entrance hole that they can take inside to their friends.

--
---

PK

---

Old 24-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Phil L

Mcploppy © wrote:
:: Phil L typed:
::: Mcploppy © wrote:
::::: Hi All,
:::::
::::: For the past few years I hve been having a lot of bother with
::::: ants under my patio, the result is now my slabs are becoming
::::: uneven as the little "things" are erroding the base away.
:::::
::::: I intend to lift the slabs and relay the entire patio... but
::::: first would like to find out how to totally erradicate the
::::: little "things".
:::::
::::: Over the years I have used many different powders and sprays...
::::: still the little "things" keep coming back.
:::::
::::: Suggestions ????
:::::
::::: TIA
:::
[...]
You're better off getting all the slabs lifted and cleaned in one go, they
should't be to heavy if they are less than about 15 years old, newer patio
flags are quite thin, prior to this normal paving slabs were used, usually
about 50mm thick, if these are what you are working with, then you will
definately need someone to help you.

Just set yourself a reasonable target each day, lay about ten slabs in each
session, you'll be surprised how quick it gets done...out of interest, how
big is the total area?...how big are the flags?

Old 24-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Mcploppy ©

Phil L typed:
Mcploppy © wrote:
Phil L typed:
Mcploppy © wrote:
[...]

Well the flags ar more than 15 years old infact nearer 30 ;-)

The sizes .... 60M Square - 600x600 and 900x600 slabs approx

Old 24-09-2004, 04:30 PM
PK

Phil L wrote:

When you come to relay the flags, rake the sand base level and
sprinkle in a few shovel fulls of cement,[1] you don't need to
mix water with it, there's enough in the sand.
Rake it in to mix it up a bit and lay the flags directly onto
the bed, do'nt use 'blobs' of sand/cement as this just leaves
voids underneth each flag, moreover, this blobbing is no good
IMV (I lay drives for a living) as the rain will simply wash
the sand from underneath the solid blobs leaving each flag
rocking...simply lay them on a dry sand/cement mix and the
overall effect will be a semi-solid bed with flags on top.
You will still get colonies of ants taking up residence but
they will be much smaller nests and will be unable to make much
of a dent on the foundation.

Agree with all that, but there is a common misconception about the "5-spot"
method of laying slabs.

As you recommend, the full bed dry sand/cement method is by far the best,
but can be difficult for the amateur as the bed need to be evenly compacted
and levelling the slabs can be a real bind. Too much or too little bedding
and you have to lift the slab out again. It is a far more skilled job than
it might look.

The "5-spot method" is easier for the amateur as the blobs can be set high
and the slabs gently tapped down to the correct level. BUT, and it is and
important BUT, we are not talking airy fairy fist sized blobs, but big spade
sized blobs that effectively meet in the centre of the slab as it is
levelled down. the net effect is a nearly-full bed of wet mortar.

All professionals I know use the dry or semi dry method.

pk

Old 24-09-2004, 06:41 PM
PK

Mcploppy © wrote:
The sizes .... 60M Square - 600x600 and 900x600 slabs approx

At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious: the 900*600 will be b******
heavy

--
---

PK

---

Old 24-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Phil L

PK wrote:
:: Phil L wrote:
:::
[...]
You are indeed correct - I never thought that it may be more than a little
tricky for 'beginners'.

:: The "5-spot method" is easier for the amateur as the blobs can be
:: set high and the slabs gently tapped down to the correct level.
:: BUT, and it is and important BUT, we are not talking airy fairy
:: fist sized blobs, but big spade sized blobs that effectively meet
:: in the centre of the slab as it is levelled down. the net effect
:: is a nearly-full bed of wet mortar.
::
:: All professionals I know use the dry or semi dry method.
::
:: pk

I agree, but he will need a *lot* of sand and cement mixing to do it this
way, which adds expense and time to the job...it may work out cheaper just
to get someone in to do it, although for such a project, my prices would
work out at approximately £20 per square metre...he may find someone cheaper
locally.

Old 24-09-2004, 07:45 PM
starlord

I use the cleaning powder "Comet or Ajax" to get rid of them around my home,
both of them have bleach in them.
Plus it doesn't hurt plants either.

--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062dyssey three

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.netfirms.com/

Old 24-09-2004, 07:55 PM
BAC

"Phil L" wrote in message
.. .
PK wrote:

SNIP

I agree, but he will need a *lot* of sand and cement mixing to do it this
way, which adds expense and time to the job...it may work out cheaper just
to get someone in to do it, although for such a project, my prices would
work out at approximately £20 per square metre...he may find someone

cheaper
locally.

Current BCIS guideprice for removing and replacing level paving with 50mm
precast concrete flags is just over £40/m2 excluding VAT, including all
necessary excavation, sub-base, etc. Assuming his 60 metres square means 60
m2, that's a tidy sum. Mind you, if he means 60 metres by 60 metres, that's
the best part of an acre, and it would be damned expensive.

Old 24-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mcploppy ©" wrote in message

Phil L typed:
Mcploppy © wrote:
Phil L typed:
Mcploppy © wrote:
[...]

Wow!
60 M square makes 3600 square metres. Even if all your slabs were of
the larger size of
0.9 metres x 0.6 metres, you would appear to have to deal with around
7,000 slabs. I reckon you will need a gang of 10 if you want the job
to be finished in a reasonable time.
{:-))

Franz

Old 24-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Franz Heymann

"Phil L" wrote in message
.. .
PK wrote:
:: Phil L wrote:
:::
[...]

At 60 m square, as the OP claims the size to be, that will cost him a
cool £72000.

Franz

Old 24-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Franz Heymann

"BAC" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote in message
.. .
PK wrote:

SNIP

I agree, but he will need a *lot* of sand and cement mixing to do

it this
way, which adds expense and time to the job...it may work out

cheaper just
to get someone in to do it, although for such a project, my prices

would
work out at approximately £20 per square metre...he may find

someone
cheaper
locally.

Current BCIS guideprice for removing and replacing level paving with

50mm

500 mm?

precast concrete flags is just over £40/m2 excluding VAT, including

all
necessary excavation, sub-base, etc. Assuming his 60 metres square

means 60
m2, that's a tidy sum. Mind you, if he means 60 metres by 60 metres,

that's
the best part of an acre, and it would be damned expensive.

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM