Old 03-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Trevor Appleton

Default Late aubergines!

Sown in a (slightly) heat greenhouse in late Jan. Planted out in Polytunnel
early May. FINALLY started setting fruit in early Sep! Largest is (Hen) egg
sized. Hardly living up to its name. (I expect Ostriches!)

Has anyone else grown them successfully in the north this year?

Trevor
East Yorkshire

Old 03-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Joanne

"Trevor Appleton" wrote i

Sown in a (slightly) heat greenhouse in late Jan. Planted out in

Polytunnel
early May. FINALLY started setting fruit in early Sep! Largest is (Hen)

egg
sized. Hardly living up to its name. (I expect Ostriches!)

Has anyone else grown them successfully in the north this year?

Nope, not here in Bolton. I managed one which I ate a few days ago, but it
was bite-sized only!! Greenhouse grown, plants bought from a garden centre.
I tried last year with no success, so I'm debating whether or not to bother
next year.

Old 03-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Rod

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 17:18:41 +0100, "Trevor Appleton"
wrote:

Sown in a (slightly) heat greenhouse in late Jan. Planted out in Polytunnel
early May. FINALLY started setting fruit in early Sep! Largest is (Hen) egg
sized. Hardly living up to its name. (I expect Ostriches!)

Has anyone else grown them successfully in the north this year?

Trevor
East Yorkshire

Well it always is an autumn crop with us in N. Wales, they're just
starting to get to a nice useable size now. They won't be huge this
year.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Kay

In article -service-com, Trevor
Appleton writes
Sown in a (slightly) heat greenhouse in late Jan. Planted out in Polytunnel
early May. FINALLY started setting fruit in early Sep! Largest is (Hen) egg
sized. Hardly living up to its name. (I expect Ostriches!)

Has anyone else grown them successfully in the north this year?

Yep. Sowed them in about March. Picked first fruit in early September.
They're still setting and growing, but leaves are a magnet for whitefly.

I can't remember the variety but it was a small variety with white
fruit, and I'm picking them from goose egg upwards. Biggest was ostrich.

This is outskirts of Leeds at about 400ft.
--
Kay

Old 03-10-2004, 07:51 PM
jdn

I have grown them this year with no problem at all
Used plants from "Marshalls"
Grew them in 12 inch pots with well-rotted manure in the bottom half, then
filled with multi-purpose compost
Stood the pots on large trays and only watered via the tray.
They grew in my poly tunnel quite happily (and are still fruiting)
My location is East Lancashire (Pendle Hill area)
It is my first attempt
I must just have been lucky

-service-com...

Old 03-10-2004, 11:30 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"jdn" (remove) wrote in message
I have grown them this year with no problem at all
Used plants from "Marshalls"
Grew them in 12 inch pots with well-rotted manure in the bottom half, then
filled with multi-purpose compost
Stood the pots on large trays and only watered via the tray.
They grew in my poly tunnel quite happily (and are still fruiting)
My location is East Lancashire (Pendle Hill area)
It is my first attempt
I must just have been lucky

Or you cast a spell on them? ;0)

aubergines ex WGS Hamm United Kingdom 2 01-02-2005 09:26 PM
blossoms dropping off egg plants (aka aubergines) Richard Wright Edible Gardening 1 23-01-2004 12:12 PM
blossoms dropping off egg plants (aka aubergines) Richard Wright Australia 0 23-01-2004 06:02 AM
Aubergines Janice United Kingdom 8 16-09-2003 05:23 PM
Aubergines Jon United Kingdom 2 09-04-2003 09:56 PM