Old 23-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Traveller

Kay wrote:
In article , Robert Harvey
writes

Basically, as long as what you post is relevant to the title of the

group you

can't go wrong!

Not necessarily true!!

Try posting about building sheds to uk.rec.seds, or English to
alt.fan.british.accent, or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to
alt.life.universe.everything, or leadership to alt.learning.to.lead ;-)

In other words, don't assume the title says it all - read the charter
first!

or lurking.
Especially in alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.c heerslove
or in alt.buttered.scones ("the caffe" and "the tearoom")
wot are charterless.

My favourite group name is alt.fan.starwars.jar-jar-binks.die.die.die
although it's a bit quiet these days.
Old 23-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Franz Heymann

"jay jay" wrote in message

Robert E A Harvey Wrote:
jay jay wrote-
Hi Franz, I wonder if you could help me as well. I've never
participated in a newsgroup before and am trying to do the same as
HedgeWytch - however everytime I try this I come up against the
'Internet Connection Wizard' which asks me to type the name of

the
Internet News (NNTP) server my Internet service provider has given

me
-
do you know how I can find out what that is. I've been through
Outlook
Express 'Help' but not getting very far.-

Your ISP should have a help page giving these details - here are

some
typical examples:
http://tinyurl.com/6cmjn
- note the 'usenet' server name given
- typically it will only work when you
are dialled in to them.
http://tinyurl.com/45od4

But it is possible, and indeed sometimes preferable, to use a
newsgroup feed other than your ISP. I use

http://www.individual.net/
.. Once registered you can access newsgroups no matter what your
connection method. And thier setup help includes programmes other
than microsoft, something that the ISPs can rarely be bothered to

to:
http://www.individual.net/config.html

many thanks for all your help

I have found the info I needed in my ISP's help but am going to have

look at individual.net as well. Only problem now is, do I have to

have
a web page in order to register with URG and is that how you access

the
newsgroup fully?

You don't need to maintain a web page to participate in any newsgroup
directly.
Once you have acquired a news server, dlick on it in the "open
folders" tree in the LH column of the Outlook EWxpress window.
Then click on "newsgroups" in the menu bar.
Pick any one of the 100,000 odd newsgroups and subscribe. That's all.

Franz

jay jay

--
jay jay

Old 24-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Mike Lyle

Franz Heymann wrote:

[...]

a look at individual.net as well. Only problem now is, do I have

have a web page in order to register with URG and is that how you
access the newsgroup fully?

You don't need to maintain a web page to participate in any

newsgroup
directly.
Once you have acquired a news server, dlick on it in the "open
folders" tree in the LH column of the Outlook EWxpress window.
Then click on "newsgroups" in the menu bar.
Pick any one of the 100,000 odd newsgroups and subscribe. That's

all.

JayJay, I've taken the liberty of emailing you some detailed
instructions a friend sent me. By all means ask for clarification if
necessary. (I use OE, but it isn't always clear what you have to do,
so don't hang back.)

Once you've got it all set up, I recommend installing a little free
programme called "Quotefix": we can talk about that later.

Mike.

Old 24-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Mike Lyle

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message ...
[...]
JayJay, I've taken the liberty of emailing you some detailed
instructions a friend sent me. By all means ask for clarification if
necessary. (I use OE, but it isn't always clear what you have to do,
so don't hang back.)

Once you've got it all set up, I recommend installing a little free
programme called "Quotefix": we can talk about that later.

My email's bounced, with the following from Yahoo:

Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).

:
82.165.33.147 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed
rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
Giving up on 82.165.33.147.

If you'd like to email me with a working address, I'll send again.

Mike.

Season's Greetings JCMumsie Gardening 1 25-12-2003 03:12 PM
Greetings fellow gardeners [email protected] Edible Gardening 1 26-08-2003 11:32 PM
Banned Herbicides &&&& Pesticides Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 26-08-2003 07:42 AM
[IBC] Greetings from Harare Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 03-02-2003 08:52 PM
Greetings from Harare Andrew Field Bonsai 0 03-02-2003 06:45 PM