Old 11-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Registered User

Location: London, UK
Default Greetings & Salutations!

Hello all, thought I'd better pop a quick post in to introduce myself I'm based in London, and have been pottering about in my own garden for about five or six years, and have been gardening professionally for about six months (garden design and garden maintenance). My speciality is herbs, particularly their uses, so hopefully I might be able to help others as well as pick up lots of tips myself!

In other news, I'm studying part-time for my degree with the Open University (three years down, hopefully just another three to go but who knows), have gained the RHS General Certificate this year and am just about to start studying for the Advanced certificate. I'm an admin on one forum site, and a moderator on another, as well as running my own websites, and what with also running a small web design and hosting business with a friend, time is in somewhat short supply so I must apologise if I have a tendancy to be a lurker! I've had a good browse through your forums today and they're packed full of useful goodies, so hopefully I'll feel at home here My partner is a very new bonsai enthusiast, so if I turn up in that forum it's more likely than not on his behalf LOL

Right, that's enough rambling now, just thought I ought to introduce myself a bit.

Emma
Old 12-10-2004, 05:39 PM
Franz Heymann

"HedgeWytch" wrote in
message ...

[snip]

I've had a good
browse through your forums today and they're packed full of useful
goodies, so hopefully I'll feel at home here

But this is not a forum. This is uk.rec.gardening, which is a
newsgroup. Why don't you participate in it directly, rather than
indirectly via Gardenbanter? If you do, you will be able to have
unmoderated access to our newsgroup.

[snip]

Franz

Old 15-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Registered User

Location: London, UK

Hi Franz,
I've never participated in a newsgroup before - how does one do that?

Thanks,

Emma
Old 16-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Hi Franz, I wonder if you could help me as well. I've never participated in a newsgroup before and am trying to do the same as HedgeWytch - however everytime I try this I come up against the 'Internet Connection Wizard' which asks me to type the name of the Internet News (NNTP) server my Internet service provider has given me - do you know how I can find out what that is. I've been through Outlook Express 'Help' but not getting very far.

Jay Jay

Old 17-10-2004, 02:59 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , jay jay
writes

Hi Franz, I wonder if you could help me as well. I've never
participated in a newsgroup before and am trying to do the same as
HedgeWytch - however everytime I try this I come up against the
'Internet Connection Wizard' which asks me to type the name of the
Internet News (NNTP) server my Internet service provider has given me -
do you know how I can find out what that is.

Which ISP?

You need to get the info from your ISP - it is probably on their website
somewhere in the help section, or phone or email them.

Ii is normally of something of the form:

new.isp_name.net
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 17-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

Don't you have to enter the news server too?

What does that involve? I clearly have not had to do it.

some times the automatic setup facilities of ISP's will do this for you.

It doesn't involve much, just finding the relevant setting in your
newsreader and entering the name of the server 9obtained from your ISP)
Old 20-10-2004, 01:25 AM
ah

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:20:19 +0100, Jim Webster wrote:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:32:23 +0100, HedgeWytch
wrote:

Hi Franz,
I've never participated in a newsgroup before - how does one do that?

Please don't associate with franz, he is a troll and net nanny.

Get yourself a decent newsreader at
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

and subscribe to uk.rec.gardening then you can join us in scourging of the
net nannies.

Mind the turnips!

Thanks,

Emma
Franz Heymann Wrote:
"HedgeWytch" wrote in message
...- -
[snip]

Old 22-10-2004, 07:32 AM
Franz Heymann

"jay jay" wrote in message

Franz Heymann Wrote:
"HedgeWytch" wrote in
message ...-

Franz Heymann Wrote:-
"HedgeWytch"
wrote in
message ...-
-
[snip]

But this is not a forum. This is uk.rec.gardening, which is a
newsgroup. Why don't you participate in it directly, rather than
indirectly via Gardenbanter? If you do, you will be able to have
unmoderated access to our newsgroup.

[snip]--
-
Hi Franz,
I've never participated in a newsgroup before - how does one do-
that?

Use Outlook Express
Look in the LH column, marked "Folders"
Click on "news.xxxx.yyyy"
Click on "newsgroups"
Pick one
Subscribe to it. (Subscribing is free)
That's it.

The convention in newsgroups is to put your reply in the body of

the
thread, at the point to which you are replying, with a blank line
above and below.

The number of "" in a line allows you to keep tabs on how many
iterations back that line was written

Good luck

Franz

Hi Franz, I wonder if you could help me as well. I've never
participated in a newsgroup before and am trying to do the same as
HedgeWytch - however everytime I try this I come up against the
'Internet Connection Wizard' which asks me to type the name of the
Internet News (NNTP) server my Internet service provider has given

me -
do you know how I can find out what that is. I've been through

Outlook
Express 'Help' but not getting very far.

I think you will get there quickest by ringing the helpline of your
ISP.

Franz

Old 23-10-2004, 06:24 AM
Robert E A Harvey

jay jay wrote
Hi Franz, I wonder if you could help me as well. I've never
participated in a newsgroup before and am trying to do the same as
HedgeWytch - however everytime I try this I come up against the
'Internet Connection Wizard' which asks me to type the name of the
Internet News (NNTP) server my Internet service provider has given me -
do you know how I can find out what that is. I've been through Outlook
Express 'Help' but not getting very far.

Your ISP should have a help page giving these details - here are some
typical examples:
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/ataglance.html
- note the 'usenet' server name given
- typically it will only work when you
are dialled in to them.
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/otherh...enewssetup.htm

But it is possible, and indeed sometimes preferable, to use a
newsgroup feed other than your ISP. I use http://www.individual.net/
.. Once registered you can access newsgroups no matter what your
connection method. And thier setup help includes programmes other
than microsoft, something that the ISPs can rarely be bothered to to:
http://www.individual.net/config.html
Old 23-10-2004, 08:18 AM
Registered User

Location: south west france

many thanks for all your help

I have found the info I needed in my ISP's help but am going to have a look at individual.net as well. Only problem now is, do I have to have a web page in order to register with URG and is that how you access the newsgroup fully?

jay jay
Old 23-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Robert Harvey

jay jay wrote:
I have found the info I needed in my ISP's help but am going to have a
look at individual.net as well. Only problem now is, do I have to have
a web page in order to register with URG and is that how you access the
newsgroup fully?

once you point your newsreader at the server (and, depending on the
server, fill in the boxes for user/password) then it's just a matter of
letting it download a list of available groups and 'subscribing' to them
(i.e. telling your newsreader which ones you want).

You also get a choice of downloading just the headers (ideal for slow
dialups) or the whole message (fast dialups, broadband etc.) and you can
read messages. You reply in a similar manner to emails, or create new
threads, and the reader takes care of submitting them to your server.
Job done. They then 'ripple' round the world.

Usenet is a 'publish and be damned' medium, although there are
mechanisms for cancelling messages after submitting they are not always
successful. The freedom to post, unhindered, can lead to abuse so it is
polite to read some guides to netiquette and the charters of the groups:
http://www.usenet.org.uk/usenet-info...tml#Netiquette
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.gard....rec.gardening
Basically, as long as what you post is relevant to the title of the
group you can't go wrong!

Note that most uk groups try to discourage html postings, and that some
servers will not propagate them. It's advisable to make sure your
newsreader is posting plain 7-bit ascii. (default for almost all of them
except Microsoft!)
http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html

------- things not to worry about too much ---------

There are also religious wars about the length of .sigs, about
top-posting vs bottom-posting, and about the amount of 'trimming' when
replying to messages. You'll pick it up easily.

Unfortunately Microsoft products assume top-posting, when most of the
uk.* pre-dates microsoft and prefers bottom posting (it helps blind
people understand what their automated readers are saying to them, for a
start). But there is a fix for Outlook Distress, which also improves
readability in other ways as well:

You install that, and create an icon to start quotefix, and it starts OE
for you. Clever.

I now use Firefox for mail and news, and it's heaps better than OE:
http://mnenhy.mozdev.org/ - add-on to improve usenet handling.
Old 23-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Kay

In article , Robert Harvey
writes

Basically, as long as what you post is relevant to the title of the

group you
can't go wrong!

Not necessarily true!!

Try posting about building sheds to uk.rec.seds, or English to
alt.fan.british.accent, or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to
alt.life.universe.everything, or leadership to alt.learning.to.lead ;-)

In other words, don't assume the title says it all - read the charter
first!
--
Kay

Old 23-10-2004, 01:34 PM
Robert Harvey

Kay wrote:
Try posting about building sheds to uk.rec.seds, or English to
alt.fan.british.accent, or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to
alt.life.universe.everything, or leadership to alt.learning.to.lead ;-)

Well, that's not althogehter untrue. The shedde is a special case, as
even reading the charter doesn't help much. You need to read the FAQ:
http://www.uk-rec-sheds.org.uk/faqindex.htm
(make a cup of tea first)

On the other paw, the last two people who asked about shed-building got
sensible (if unorthodox) and polite treatment, and must have been less
puzzled than previous victims.

Still no recepie for creomite, though.

Season's Greetings JCMumsie Gardening 1 25-12-2003 03:12 PM
Greetings fellow gardeners [email protected] Edible Gardening 1 26-08-2003 11:32 PM
Banned Herbicides &&&& Pesticides Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 26-08-2003 07:42 AM
[IBC] Greetings from Harare Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 03-02-2003 08:52 PM
Greetings from Harare Andrew Field Bonsai 0 03-02-2003 06:45 PM