Old 12-10-2004, 09:14 PM
ned

Default Botanical definition?

Is there a botanical expression or definition to distinguish between,
perennials which die back each year, but regenerate from the old
rootstock,
and perennials which do not die back, eg cactus, succulents, trees,
etc.?

--
ned

Old 12-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , ned writes
Is there a botanical expression or definition to distinguish between,
perennials which die back each year, but regenerate from the old
rootstock,
and perennials which do not die back, eg cactus, succulents, trees,
etc.?

Some old (19th century) material on the topic

http://www.malvaceae.info/Literature...B/Chap1-1.html

I think the term you're looking for is herbaceous perennial.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-10-2004, 12:01 AM
ned

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In article , ned
writes
Is there a botanical expression or definition to distinguish

between,
perennials which die back each year, but regenerate from the old
rootstock,
and perennials which do not die back, eg cactus, succulents, trees,
etc.?

Some old (19th century) material on the topic

http://www.malvaceae.info/Literature...B/Chap1-1.html

I think the term you're looking for is herbaceous perennial.

Thanks for that.
I found it interesting.
It says a lot that I'm in tune with the 19th century! ;-))

--
ned

Old 13-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , ned writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In article , ned
writes
Is there a botanical expression or definition to distinguish

between,
perennials which die back each year, but regenerate from the old
rootstock,
and perennials which do not die back, eg cactus, succulents, trees,
etc.?

Some old (19th century) material on the topic

http://www.malvaceae.info/Literature...B/Chap1-1.html

I think the term you're looking for is herbaceous perennial.

Thanks for that.
I found it interesting.
It says a lot that I'm in tune with the 19th century! ;-))

The terminology is still current - I wouldn't have pointed you at the
page otherwise. The point which I wished Bentham to make for me was that
the division of plants into these groups isn't cut and dried.

Elsewhere you'll find people talking about shrublets and treelets, and
herbaceous perennials divided into bulbous, cormous and tuberous
(collectively "bulbs"), rhizomatous, stoloniferous, etc., perennials.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-10-2004, 08:25 PM
ned

In article , ned

writes
[...]

Yes, I appreciate that Nature offers a wide range of variation.
'Just thought that the 'splitters' might have come up with a twee
definition.
But I'm happy with the concept that while the leaves and stems of a
'herbaceous perennial' may die back seasonally, its rootstock can last
several years.
Cheers.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 29.09.2004

Old 13-10-2004, 11:01 PM
David Hill

The question was asked ".......Is there a botanical expression or
definition to distinguish between, perennials which die back each year, but
regenerate from the old rootstock, and perennials which do not die back,
e.g. cactus, succulents, trees,
etc.? .............."

Interesting,
The term herbaceous perennial tends to be used to cover both plants that die
back for the winter such as Phlox, Michaelmas daises etc as well as such
plants as Pinks,Wallflowers such as Bowles Mauve etc which hold their leaves
all year round.
Checking back through my old "Bible" the describe Herbaceous as A word
which means herb like growth. It is applied to plants which bear stems which
die down to the ground annually.
Whilst Garden pinks are described as "Garden plants".

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 14-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , ned wrote:

Yes, I appreciate that Nature offers a wide range of variation.
'Just thought that the 'splitters' might have come up with a twee
definition.
But I'm happy with the concept that while the leaves and stems of a
'herbaceous perennial' may die back seasonally, its rootstock can last
several years.

There are definitions for plants where the growth point during the
dormant season is below, at or above soil level, which is what is
being asked for, but I now forget them and they are rarely used.
There is also the problem that many plants will behave in different
fashions according to conditions - e.g. many plants will grow from
their stems after a mild winter but from their roots after a hard
one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article , ned wrote:

Yes, I appreciate that Nature offers a wide range of variation.
'Just thought that the 'splitters' might have come up with a twee
definition.
But I'm happy with the concept that while the leaves and stems of a
'herbaceous perennial' may die back seasonally, its rootstock can last
several years.

There are definitions for plants where the growth point during the
dormant season is below, at or above soil level, which is what is
being asked for, but I now forget them and they are rarely used.
There is also the problem that many plants will behave in different
fashions according to conditions - e.g. many plants will grow from
their stems after a mild winter but from their roots after a hard
one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Would this be the set of terms you're thinking of?

http://www.spookspring.com/Umbels/Plant_Types.html
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

There are definitions for plants where the growth point during the
dormant season is below, at or above soil level, which is what is
being asked for, but I now forget them and they are rarely used.
There is also the problem that many plants will behave in different
fashions according to conditions - e.g. many plants will grow from
their stems after a mild winter but from their roots after a hard
one.

Would this be the set of terms you're thinking of?

http://www.spookspring.com/Umbels/Plant_Types.html

In a word, yes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-10-2004, 11:23 PM
ned

wrote:

[...]

ROFL.
I just knew the 'splitters' must have had a go at it!
Cheers. :-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 29.09.2004

Old 14-10-2004, 11:47 PM
Mike Lyle

ned wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

[...]
There are definitions for plants where the growth point during

the
dormant season is below, at or above soil level, which is what is
being asked for, but I now forget them and they are rarely used.
There is also the problem that many plants will behave in

different
fashions according to conditions - e.g. many plants will grow

from
their stems after a mild winter but from their roots after a hard
one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Would this be the set of terms you're thinking of?

http://www.spookspring.com/Umbels/Plant_Types.html

ROFL.
I just knew the 'splitters' must have had a go at it!
Cheers. :-))

That's nothing: you should try linguistics!

Mike.