Old 20-10-2004, 11:22 AM
david taylor

I'm busy at present working to a deadline so haven't had time to read
through the whole chain of correspondence on this.
Apologies in advance.
I have grown raspeberris for approaching 40 years in 3 locations, NW and SW
England.
Summer raspeberries cut down this years fruiting stems immediately after the
crop has been picked. New growth can then ripen for next year. The taller
you can let the new canes grow the better the crop so some support is
useful.
I guess your canes with green leaves etc should be in the 'new growth,
condition, and should be left.
They will lose their leaves and fruit next summer.
Raspberries prefer pH below 6 but not too acid. With shallow fibrous roots
the soil must be light and/or contain a lot of organic material.
(I used about 1400lbs of garden compost setting up a so far successful row
on clay pH 6.5, where previously raspberries would not grow.)
Autumn raspberries are cut to the ground after fruiting. The new growth
comes in spring and carries on until the end of the year when the canes
produce fruit.
"Ellie C" wrote in message
Hi All,

I recently moved to the south of France from the northeast part of the
US, so I'm completely unused to the new climate, and am not sure what to
expect. I have planted some raspberry bushes and I'm wondering if I
should expect them to shed their leaves in the autumn, or if they stay
green all year. Where I'm from, in Massachusetts, the leaves would have
fallen by now, so I'm just a bit surprised to see these small plants
looking very green and happy.

Do they need any special treatment to make them stop growing before
winter (such as it is) sets in? Stop watering them perhaps?

Thanks,

Ellie (whose French isn't yet up to posting in the French gardening

group!)

raspberry bushes Little Weed United Kingdom 8 27-09-2006 09:53 PM
Cutting back raspberry bushes Jo M Edible Gardening 3 13-11-2004 08:18 PM
Cutting back raspberry bushes Jo M Edible Gardening 0 06-11-2004 06:11 AM
RASPBERRY BUSHES WARRENRN1 Gardening 4 02-07-2003 03:08 AM
Raspberry Bushes Dessy Edible Gardening 3 24-02-2003 01:03 PM