Old 20-09-2006, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default raspberry bushes

Hi
I'm planning on moving the existing raspberry bushes on my allotment.
They have been there for at least 12 years, and don't appear to have
fruited this year. They need to be cut back from their growth through a
fence - how severely can I cut them without causing damage? I'm really
hoping to keep them
LW

Old 20-09-2006, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Little Weed" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi
I'm planning on moving the existing raspberry bushes on my allotment.
They have been there for at least 12 years, and don't appear to have
fruited this year. They need to be cut back from their growth through a
fence - how severely can I cut them without causing damage? I'm really
hoping to keep them
LW

Hi, I think you should get new canes and start again - 12 years old and no
fruit last year isn't worth keeping. Try the new canes in a new patch of
ground.

Chris S

Old 21-09-2006, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi, I think you should get new canes and start again - 12 years old and no
fruit last year isn't worth keeping. Try the new canes in a new patch of
ground.

Chris S

thanks Chris
I will probably leave them and not attempt to move them (sentimental
value - long story) - and order some new - umm er - red currant bushes
- which is what they are apparently...wellll us newcomers have to make
a mistake every now and again. And they both begin with "r"......

Cheers
LW

Old 23-09-2006, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The problem has been sorted out for me. I discovered today that the
council has installed a new fence on my (boundary) allotment. I didn't
know anything about it and the redcurrant bushes were chopped out in
the process. They had purely sentimental value, but the roots of one of
the plants were left behind so who knows.
Yours Grumpily
LW

Old 24-09-2006, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Little Weed wrote:
The problem has been sorted out for me. I discovered today that the
council has installed a new fence on my (boundary) allotment. I didn't
know anything about it and the redcurrant bushes were chopped out in
the process. They had purely sentimental value, but the roots of one of
the plants were left behind so who knows.
Yours Grumpily
LW

Here's a long shot for you. If the old bushes were dumped on or near
the site, and it was a short time ago, it's not impossible that they're
still alive enough to provide you with a salvageable plant or some
cuttings -- if they're under a layer of other stuff, the roots of at
least one of them may still have life in them. Plants sometimes put up
with an astounding degree of abuse. I'd investigate: sentimental value
is the greater part of gardening, after all. Meanwhile, cherish the one
they left behind: it may or may not shoot from the remaining stem in
the spring.

--
Mike.

Old 25-09-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Little Weed writes

The problem has been sorted out for me. I discovered today that the
council has installed a new fence on my (boundary) allotment. I didn't
know anything about it and the redcurrant bushes were chopped out in
the process. They had purely sentimental value, but the roots of one of
the plants were left behind so who knows.

Have you complained to the Council (or your Councillor)? Even if your
bushes shouldn't have been overhanging, they were still yours, and I
would regard it as reasonable for the Council to inform you before
destroying your property.

Don't suppose you'll get anywhere, but it may relieve your feelings.
And it may mean they behave more considerately to other people in the
future.
--
Kay

Old 27-09-2006, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Little Weed writes

The problem has been sorted out for me. I discovered today that the
council has installed a new fence on my (boundary) allotment. I didn't
know anything about it and the redcurrant bushes were chopped out in
the process. They had purely sentimental value, but the roots of one of
the plants were left behind so who knows.

Have you complained to the Council (or your Councillor)? Even if your
bushes shouldn't have been overhanging, they were still yours, and I
would regard it as reasonable for the Council to inform you before
destroying your property.

Don't suppose you'll get anywhere, but it may relieve your feelings.
And it may mean they behave more considerately to other people in the
future.
--
Kay

Hi Kay
I suspect not - I'll take it on the chin after my original upset - I'm
relying on the redcurrant trees growing back. They weren't doing
anything and I'm new to the plot/allotmenteering thing. They were
growing through the old fence and they were planted by my late dad 12
years ago - and - I was going to resite them that weekend. Just one of
those things...
I've learned so much in the last 5 weeks, including how to handle dried
manure without squealing, I am going to rely on the bushes rejuvenating
vbg we're a hard family to knock back
Best wishes
LW

Cutting back raspberry bushes Jo M Edible Gardening 3 13-11-2004 08:18 PM
Cutting back raspberry bushes Jo M Edible Gardening 0 06-11-2004 06:11 AM
Raspberry bushes in the winter Ellie C United Kingdom 15 20-10-2004 11:22 AM
RASPBERRY BUSHES WARRENRN1 Gardening 4 02-07-2003 03:08 AM
Raspberry Bushes Dessy Edible Gardening 3 24-02-2003 01:03 PM