Old 18-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Tony Benfield

Default strawberries

I grew strawberries for the first time this year, I have just put the tub
into the greenhouse to overwinter.
the leaves are starting to turn red and some are becoming dry and brittle.
should I cut back the foliage at all, and if so by how much?

anyone got any ideas?

Old 18-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Cereus-longispinus

Just let the plants be and enjoy the red color of the leaves in winter. You
should leave the plants outside over the winter because they are cold hardy.

Old 18-10-2004, 11:21 PM
Jeanne Stockdale

"Connor T" wrote in message
even in their first year?

"Cereus-longispinus" wrote in message
om...
Just let the plants be and enjoy the red color of the leaves in winter.

You
should leave the plants outside over the winter because they are cold

hardy.

"Tony Benfield" wrote in message
I grew strawberries for the first time this year, I have just put the

tub
into the greenhouse to overwinter.
the leaves are starting to turn red and some are becoming dry and

brittle.
should I cut back the foliage at all, and if so by how much?

anyone got any ideas?

Although relatively frost hardy they will welcome the protection of the
greenhouse, especially from the damp.
Leave any dead foliage removal untill the spring growth starts when it is
easier to decicide whats alive and dead.
Water very sparingly over winter. Now is a good time to pot up runners if
you have any.

Regards
Pete - Nanneys Bridge Nursery
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 19-10-2004, 01:28 AM
Cereus-longispinus

Why not the first year?

They don't transmogrify into something else in the second year.

I've even had unrooted plants survive the winter outdoors with no harm.

Old 19-10-2004, 07:35 PM
Cereus-validus.

Oh no!!!

For once, Janet and I agree on something.

That must be one of the signs of the apocalypse!!!

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from " Jeanne Stockdale" contains these

words:

Although relatively frost hardy they will welcome the protection of the
greenhouse, especially from the damp.

Strawberries are completely winter hardy and have no problem with
winter rain. They're farmed in Scotland. I'd leave them outside where
they will be less likely to develop moulds and disease.

Janet

Old 19-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough.. wrote:
The message
from " Jeanne Stockdale" contains these words:

Although relatively frost hardy they will welcome the protection of the
greenhouse, especially from the damp.

Strawberries are completely winter hardy and have no problem with
winter rain. They're farmed in Scotland. I'd leave them outside where
they will be less likely to develop moulds and disease.

Except in gardens above 2000' in the Highlands of Scotland, where
cloudberries are a better crop :-)

On this matter, what IS highest altitude of an urgler? We have
certainly had some posting from close to John O'Groats, and there
are a couple near Perth (probably the coldest city in the UK, at
least in midwinter).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 20-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Connor T wrote:
well because most plants are more delicate in their first year!

A reasonable point, but strawberries are very hardy. I wasn't joking
when saying that you can probably grow them up to 2000' in the
Highlands. Let them freeze solid - it will annoy their pests more
than it will worry the strawberries.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Registered User

I guess this sort of answers my question too, but just to clarify.
My strawberries were planted a month back in a pot, do i need to protect them from frost, some are just starting to form flower buds?

Old 09-04-2005, 06:31 AM
Alan Gould

In article , gasdoctor gasdoctor.1
writes

I guess this sort of answers my question too, but just to clarify.
My strawberries were planted a month back in a pot, do i need to
protect them from frost, some are just starting to form flower buds?

If they are forming flower buds, protect them from frost, but don't
coddle them any more than that. Strawberry plants are normally very
hardy, but if they are brought on early, as you may have done by potting
them up, they need to be treated as half-hardy.

We take runners each year from our plants as soon as they form during
fruiting in summertime. The runners are left attached to their plants
and set into pots placed near to the plants. They are left to grow on
until the stem feeding them dies off. They are allowed to grow on in the
pots for a few weeks, then planted out on a prepared ridge to become
next year's first year plants. 3 or 4 year old plants are disposed of.

A very small number of the potted runners are retained in their pots to
be forced for early fruiting. Those are kept outside until mid February,
then brought in to an unheated greenhouse or poly-tunnel to grow on and
fruit, usually before Whitsun. This year's forcing strawberry plants are
in full flower now and fruits are forming on them. When the plants have
fruited, they will be disposed of because they can begin to attract
white fly, also because forcing leaves them unfit for future production.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gould
[...]

Thanks very much
One point though, how do you force them into fruit? (?mimic summer conditions)

Moving Strawberries Lilac Edible Gardening 1 03-06-2003 05:44 PM
strawberries? H United Kingdom 6 21-02-2003 08:33 PM
Question about strawberries! Claude Gardening 5 06-02-2003 12:48 PM
Indian Strawberries again JLee United Kingdom 3 21-11-2002 02:33 PM
Strawberries? Dwayne United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 02:27 PM