Old 20-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Registered User

Default Humus???

Does anyone know where I can buy Highly Decaded Humus???? Is there anything else that is similar? Is it possible to buy decaded leaf mold or something similar. I have been told that Mushroom growers use humus but had much luck finding out any more info.

Any help will be much appreciated,

Cheers

Lee
Old 21-10-2004, 11:37 AM
ex WGS Hamm

"leelizard" wrote in message

Does anyone know where I can buy Highly Decaded Humus???? Is there
anything else that is similar? Is it possible to buy decaded leaf mold
or something similar. I have been told that Mushroom growers use humus
but had much luck finding out any more info.

Any help will be much appreciated,

By highly decaded I presume you mean well rotted of decayed humous?
You could try your local garden centre for compost. If you have been asking
for highly decaded humus I expect they people asked assume you mean you want
10 year old ground chick peas.

Old 21-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Registered User

I am not sure what it is I have seen it is like fine black dirt that is made out off leaf mold and rotted wood i think,

Cheers

Lee
Old 21-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Franz Heymann

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message

[snip]

By highly decaded I presume you mean well rotted of decayed humous?

By well rotted of decayed humous I presume you mean well rotted humus.
Humous is chick pea meal.

[snip]

Franz

Old 21-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:27:34 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message

[snip]

By highly decaded I presume you mean well rotted of decayed

humous?

By well rotted of decayed humous I presume you mean well rotted

humus.
Humous is chick pea meal.

spoil sport :-)

Is it a bit breezy in your part of the world at the moment Franz?

Our unexpectedly tall 6' dahlia has survived a force 8 gale so far.

My recently acquired "mini-greenhouse" (vertical plastic frame) fell
over and spilled my whole year's worth of newly rooted cuttings. I
recovered and repotted them all, but the labels had also fallen out,
so next year I will have a lot of surprise pinks. The other plants I
could distinguish by sight.

Franz

Old 21-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Robert E A Harvey

leelizard wrote in message ...
Does anyone know where I can buy Highly Decaded Humus???? Is there
anything else that is similar? Is it possible to buy decaded leaf mold
or something similar. I have been told that Mushroom growers use humus
but had much luck finding out any more info.

Humus is just the organic, often fibrous, content of loam. It
provides water retention and some of the nutrient content, and a
medium for the soil organisms that make the soil 'alive'. Yes, leaf
mould is good, as is anything from a well made compost heap.

Our local council sells bags of compost made from the green stuff
people deliver to the tip. The local topsoil merchant sells compost
too, and there are large professional suppliers. Many riding schools
can provide well-rotted manure, (but be sure it is well-rotted) and
you can make compost yourself from kitchen waste, grass cuttings, and
garden debris. Search the group's archive on google for tips on
composting.

You can buy leaf mould, but it will be expensive. Collect the leaves
around at the moment and put them in a wire compost bin for next year!
Old 21-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Registered User

You can buy leaf mould, but it will be expensive. Collect the leaves
around at the moment and put them in a wire compost bin for next year![/quote]

So where could I buy leaf mold? Is it highly decayed? I don't mind paying for it if its black and like fine dirt. Any ideas of where to get it.

Cheers

Lee
Old 22-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:37:07 +0100, leelizard
wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy Highly Decaded Humus???? Is there
anything else that is similar? Is it possible to buy decaded leaf mold
or something similar. I have been told that Mushroom growers use humus
but had much luck finding out any more info.

Ask your local council. Some now have a composting scheme where you
take your compost to the local tip and they compost it in large
quantities. Some councils sell it back to you (cheek!) or some let
you have it free, bag for bag,(eg Dorset). Some don't do it yet, if
not pester them!
Mushroom compost is a very good soil improver if you are not too
concerned about what additives may be included. I have used it for
over 10 years with good results and an occasional crop of mushrooms.

If you have a local riding stables, they will often let you have bags
of horse manure. You will need to stack it for a year or more until
it is well rotted (decayed). Don't use it fresh on the soil.

Pam in Bristol
Old 23-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Robert Harvey

leelizard wrote:
I have been looking for mushroom compost as I have been recommended
this, where can I buy it. I am actually using the compost to rear
Beetle larvae not grow plants. So looking for fine high grade humus.

Well, I'd start making leafmould now, and seiving some of the council
bagged compost to a fine size for this year. Don't buy pre-made "john
innes" or similar potting composts, they will have added chemicals you
don't want.

Old 27-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Robert E A Harvey" wrote in message
om...
leelizard wrote in

message ...
[...]

Even easier, just fill rubbish bags and forget about them for a year.

Franz