Old 29-10-2004, 10:47 AM
David WE Roberts

Default Make it stop growing!

Yargh!

My grass is going berserk at the moment.

It must be all the hot sunny weather this week after all the rain.

[Yes, I know nearly all the UK has had rain and gales, but for some
strange reason it hasn't reached us here]

My main problem is that the sunny days aren't usually long enough to dry
the heavy overnight dew off the grass, which makes it very difficult to
cut.

Shouldn't grass have stopped growing by now (or at least growing fast
enough to need cutting twice a week)?

Grumble.

Dave R
Old 29-10-2004, 02:33 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:47:10 +0100, David WE Roberts
wrote:

Yargh!

My grass is going berserk at the moment.

It must be all the hot sunny weather this week after all the rain.

[Yes, I know nearly all the UK has had rain and gales, but for some
strange reason it hasn't reached us here]

My main problem is that the sunny days aren't usually long enough to dry
the heavy overnight dew off the grass, which makes it very difficult to
cut.

Shouldn't grass have stopped growing by now (or at least growing fast
enough to need cutting twice a week)?

My wife over fertilised our lawn and killed large patches.
--
Martin

Mmmm...a tempting option.

Does she travel much?

Old 29-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Stephen Howard

wrote:

Yargh!

My grass is going berserk at the moment.

It must be all the hot sunny weather this week after all the rain.

[Yes, I know nearly all the UK has had rain and gales, but for some
strange reason it hasn't reached us here]

My main problem is that the sunny days aren't usually long enough to dry
the heavy overnight dew off the grass, which makes it very difficult to
cut.

Shouldn't grass have stopped growing by now (or at least growing fast
enough to need cutting twice a week)?

Grumble.

Same here ( Hants ).
Have you tried raising the blade(s) and leaving the grass box off?

It helps if the mower blade is dead sharp too, and the mower will need
a good clean up afterwards!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 30-10-2004, 07:15 AM
Michael Berridge

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
news
Yargh!

My grass is going berserk at the moment.

It must be all the hot sunny weather this week after all the rain.

[Yes, I know nearly all the UK has had rain and gales, but for some
strange reason it hasn't reached us here]

My main problem is that the sunny days aren't usually long enough to dry
the heavy overnight dew off the grass, which makes it very difficult to
cut.

Shouldn't grass have stopped growing by now (or at least growing fast
enough to need cutting twice a week)?

My last lawn cut of 2003 was on boxing day, and the first one of 2004 was on
new years day. Grass just keeps on growing in the current mild climate we
have had for the last few years. I just raise the blades and cut it, clogs
up a bit at times, but it does get done.

Mike

Old 31-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Josie

.. .
wrote:

Yargh!

My grass is going berserk at the moment.

It must be all the hot sunny weather this week after all the rain.

[Yes, I know nearly all the UK has had rain and gales, but for some
strange reason it hasn't reached us here]

My main problem is that the sunny days aren't usually long enough to dry
the heavy overnight dew off the grass, which makes it very difficult to
cut.

Shouldn't grass have stopped growing by now (or at least growing fast
enough to need cutting twice a week)?

You may get away with it if you raise the blades. I did and it worked
fine except that it still does not look as neat as a short cut.

Cheers

Old 01-11-2004, 12:09 AM
ned

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
news
Yargh!

My grass is going berserk at the moment.

It must be all the hot sunny weather this week after all the rain.

[Yes, I know nearly all the UK has had rain and gales, but for some
strange reason it hasn't reached us here]

My main problem is that the sunny days aren't usually long enough to

dry
the heavy overnight dew off the grass, which makes it very difficult

cut.

Shouldn't grass have stopped growing by now (or at least growing

fast
enough to need cutting twice a week)?

I'm still nipping out and cutting when I can.
I follow golf course green keeping traditions. They cannot allow the
grass to get away from them, and prior to cutting wet grass, they
sweep the turf to send the water droplets to the soil. This allows
whatever breeze there may be to 'better' dry off the grass blades.
In practice, I drag an 8ft batten of wood around the grass on the end
of a bit of baler twine, have a cup of tea, then get the mower out.
Sure, it gets some wonderful comments from passers-by - but at least I
get the grass cut.
;-)

--
ned