Old 25-11-2002, 10:57 PM
Craig

Default Lawn rejuvenation.

Here in Ohio, we have all the seasons and it appears to me that the UK
might or might not have snow. Here the winters seem warmer with less
snow. I rather like that though. g

Enjoy watching Ground Force to see the different plants and gardens
ideas.

Thanks to all who have replied.

Craig
do not use Rejector email address
Old 26-11-2002, 01:22 PM
Craig

I think the broad leaved grass that's popular in warmer parts of the States
is called 'Bermuda grass'? I don't recall seeing that grown over here.
We were recently in Hawai'i which has all but two of the weather zones,

Bermuda is found in the warmer climates (i.e. Southern states) We in
the midwest have "Kentucky Blue Grass" and "Rye Grass" for the most
part.

Sounds like your area is a bit warmer in the winter than ours. We can
get snow and it can stay a while. g

The reason I asked the question is that the sod that they use on "Ground
Force" looks like a low growing grass and the mowers don't look that
anything I have seen in the states.

--
Thank you,

Craig
delphi at pbyc dot com
do not use SpamRejector email address
Old 25-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Easton View Post
In article ,
writes

What types of grass is the most widely used in the UK?

From watching Ground Force here in the states, it appears to be a short
fine bladed variety. Similiar to a bent grass fairway golf course here.

I have also heard that the UK does not have a climate similar to any
region in the states. Would this be true? If not how would you
describe it?

'Other places have climate - we have weather' ;-)

- reflection on the changeability of our weather - which is probably
why we talk about it so much.

I'm about half way up the UK, inland. Winters are wet, with long nights
- it gets dark about 4pm and isn't properly light again till 9am. It can
be a few degrees above freezing and foggy (like today) or wet (like
tomorrow's forecast) or it can be a few degrees below freezing. First
frost is usually the first week of October, last frost may be as late as
the first week of June.

Summers have long days - light before I wake up, and still light until
9pm or 10pm. It can be hot - up to 80F - or warm or coolish.

Spring and autumn can be almost anything.

We get about 30 inches of rain a year, spread almost evenly throughout
the year (the SE has drier summer, some areas in the west have much more
rain) - though in recent years we seem to be getting more rain than
usually, and milder winters.

What makes our climate so different from yours is the Gulf Stream, which
means we are a lot warmer than we have any right to expect for this
latitude. Which means our cold winter nights last a lot longer than
winter nights of similar coldness over there.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Have you ever been to Washington State on the coast or Vancouver in BC. Mild but wet, is the best way to describe the weather in the UK, with the east and south marginally dryer than the west and north.
Terry Barnett