Old 30-10-2004, 11:16 AM
JennyC

Default Mealybug & cacti

Hi

This might be a handy tip for other cacti/succulent lovers.......

I use methelated spirits to treat and mealybug I find on my cacti/succulents.

While rearranging the GH for the winter I found that several plants were
infected and got fed up with the 'cotton bud + meths' method. It takes for ever
and I often get loads of spines in my fingers.

I had an old hand pump type spray lurking under the bench and decided to try it
as a meth spray. Works a treat and gets into all the nooks and crevices of the
prickliest cacti without them getting their spikes into me :~))

Jenny

Old 30-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Frank

"JennyC" wrote in message
Hi

This might be a handy tip for other cacti/succulent lovers.......

I use methelated spirits to treat and mealybug I find on my

cacti/succulents.

While rearranging the GH for the winter I found that several plants were
infected and got fed up with the 'cotton bud + meths' method. It takes

for ever
and I often get loads of spines in my fingers.

I had an old hand pump type spray lurking under the bench and decided to

try it
as a meth spray. Works a treat and gets into all the nooks and crevices of

the
prickliest cacti without them getting their spikes into me :~))

Jenny
Thanks Jenny,

I run a Young Gardeners Club all of which grow cactus. at our last meeting 2
or 3 asked about the mealybug I suggested Meths and cotton bud, your idea is
the best I have heard for along time,
Frank.

Old 30-10-2004, 08:58 PM
JennyC

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:16:59 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

Hi

This might be a handy tip for other cacti/succulent lovers.......

I use methelated spirits to treat and mealybug I find on my cacti/succulents.

While rearranging the GH for the winter I found that several plants were
infected and got fed up with the 'cotton bud + meths' method. It takes for

ever
and I often get loads of spines in my fingers.

I had an old hand pump type spray lurking under the bench and decided to try

it
as a meth spray. Works a treat and gets into all the nooks and crevices of

the
prickliest cacti without them getting their spikes into me :~))

If you apply a match to the spray, it's amazing what you can kill,
Jenny :-)
Martin

Napalm in the morning again Martin ?
Jenny :~)

Mealybug pests Bier de Stone Gardening 1 30-01-2006 05:09 AM
The evolution of cacti Cereoid+10+ Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
cacti iona Gardening 3 14-03-2003 12:56 AM
Cacti Shadow Gardening 12 09-03-2003 04:08 AM
Red Spider Mite on cacti Jolltax United Kingdom 5 16-02-2003 07:26 PM