Old 22-10-2002, 07:33 PM
William Tasso

Default Greensleeves Apple

"Alison" wrote:
Right well I've taken all your suggestions on board and I think I'm quite
interested in the variety "Greensleeves". I hear what you're saying about
having to live with the choice for a long time. Trouble is, we're in East
Scotland and our nearest Apple Day is 130 miles away in SW Scotland so a
tasting is a bit of a long journey away. Is there the -slightest- chance
that someone on URG might have a Greensleeves harvest that just might have

'spare' apple that might be able to wing its way up here via snail mail?

sorry, can't help you with the apple. My favourite (to eat) is ida-red
(sp?) but I've no idea how well they grow/crop.

while you await replies to this and your other posts would you take a quick
look at the date/time settings on your computer and adjust where necessary.
you appear to be posting from the future.

btw: if you really are from the future could you let me know (privately
would help) the lottery numbers for the next draw ;o)

good luck with your quest.

--
William Tasso - http://www.tbdata.com/

Old 23-10-2002, 12:15 AM
Alison

Right well I've taken all your suggestions on board and I think I'm quite
interested in the variety "Greensleeves". I hear what you're saying about
having to live with the choice for a long time. Trouble is, we're in East
Scotland and our nearest Apple Day is 130 miles away in SW Scotland so a
tasting is a bit of a long journey away. Is there the -slightest- chance
that someone on URG might have a Greensleeves harvest that just might have a
'spare' apple that might be able to wing its way up here via snail mail?

--A

Old 24-10-2002, 09:39 PM
Alison

"Chris Stewart" wrote in message

I live in Aiberdeen, and would that I could. My minarette trees are (I've
had them for) 2 years now. Year 1 greensleeves blossomed, but the other
pollinator didn't. This year, t'other way round. Next year...... I think
I'll buy a wee crab apple as well to add to the pollen.

Chris

Eeek I thought a Greensleeves was self-fertile! However I do have a wee
crab-apple (well about 5m tall) and three horrible skanky left-overs from a
previous occupant (no idea what variety - v. new to this apple stuff). I
*was* thinking of getting two little step-overs though, one a greensleeves
and the other - well who knows. Has to do well up here in the tundra, a
Granny Smith's style is too sharp and we don't like what we term 'dry'
apples. Our favourite supermarket variety is Golden Delicious (oh how
boring) so if anyone can suggest a nicer British apple akin to this then
I'll go for it :-).

--A

PS The Scrumptious at Ken Muir looked a bit tasty - anyone tried it? And
does it live up to its name?

Old 24-10-2002, 11:52 PM
Alan Holmes

"Alison" o.uk wrote in
message ...

[...]

Are you talking about french Golden Rubbish, or English Golden Delicious?

Ah, just read your remarks again, and you have mentioned British!(:-)

Any apple is superior to the french Golden Delicious.

There are dozens of apples to chose from, one of my favourites is the
Ribstone Pippin.

Alan