Old 12-11-2004, 07:19 AM
Franz Heymann

"Gary Davis" wrote in message
On 11/11/04 3:25 AM, in article

, "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
On 11/10/04 9:34 AM, in article ,

"Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"suspicious minds" wrote in message
news
"bigboard" wrote in message
suspicious minds wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message

While they don't strictly speaking have gizzards, they do

need
some sort
of
gritty substance to help break up the food they ingest. I

use
calcified
seaweed.

Read this then

"In most of the species, the oesophagus is enlarged into a

crop
in front
of the gizzard. This latter organ is lined with a smooth

thick
chitinous
membrane, and is surrounded by weak longitudinal, but

powerful
transverse
muscles. Perrier saw these muscles in energetic action; and,

as
he
remarks, the trituration of the food must be chiefly effected

by
this
organ, for worms possess no jaws or teeth of any kind. Grains

of
sand and
small stones, from the 1/20 to a little more than the 1/10

inch
in
diameter, may generally be found in their gizzards and
intestines. As it
is certain that worms swallow many little stones,

independently
of those
swallowed while excavating their burrows, it is probable that
they serve,
like mill-stones, to triturate their food. The gizzard opens

into
the
intestine, which runs in a straight course to the vent at the
posterior
end of the body."

THE FORMATION OF VEGETABLE MOULD
THROUGH THE ACTION OF WORMS
WITH OBSERVATIONS ON THEIR HABITS.
by Charles Darwin

[FIRST EDITION, October 10th, 1881.]

CHAPTER I--HABITS OF WORMS.
http://www.webmesh.co.uk/darwinworms1.htm

I hadn't realised the organs were called gizzards. Still, my

point
about
their digestion still stands.

Granted, although with due respect I don't think that Franz

has
read many
essays on worms.

I have read exactly none on worms qua worms. I have, however,

read a
substantial number of essays on the making of worm compost. The
descriptions of the standard worm-composting process do not

mention
the necessity of introducing fine sand particles into the

wormery.

On another point, worms breed, so as long as conditions are

suitable
and
within reason, the worms will multiply according to how much

food
is
available (as long as they are not overwhelmed)

My worms have multiplied beyond all recognition. (Without the

use
of
sand to stay alive). Nevertheless, they are demolishing my

kitchen
waste at a miserably small rate. They would really have to

increase
their appetites tenfold if they are to have any hope of consming

the
waste as fast as I feed it to them.

Does any other urgler have any experience of an indoor wormery?

Franz

An indoor wormery? I have thought of doing that but not sure what

would be
required. Tell us Franz how you do it.

Have a good read at the following article for a description of the
principles.

http://www.troubleatmill.com/wormbin.htm

That will be a starting point for
this discussion. What kind of container(s) do you use? Etc. I can

picture
dirt getting on the floor...worms also...

No dirt and no worms have landed on the floor yet.

Do you keep the wormery in the
cellar? Or where?

In the garage.

Temperature would be important I would think.

Yes.

What
temperature is your wormery?

Never colder than about 8 deg C in winter. (My central heating

boiler
is in the garage as well.). Never warmer than about 25 deg C in

the
summer

Franz

Hi Franz
The site you mentioned

above....http://www.troubleatmill.com/wormbin.htm
I checked it out. Is that the system you use or have you modified

the system
in any way? Just tell me what you do, maybe I can help out...

It is similar, but uses different stacked containers. Mine are round
and the holes were moulded in by the manufacturer. I don't thinbk the
worms have sufficient intelligence to know whether they are inhabiting
a rectangular or a round container.

Franz

Old 12-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:

Thus it is, that all Franz's posts are now fed direct to worms and turn
into compost, saving me from going blind and mad trying to disentangle
them. (The posts, not the worms). Try it, and your own confusion will
melt away like snow off a dike.

Do dikes stand still long enough to get a covering of snow?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:

Thus it is, that all Franz's posts are now fed direct to worms and turn
into compost, saving me from going blind and mad trying to disentangle
them. (The posts, not the worms). Try it, and your own confusion will
melt away like snow off a dike.

Do dikes stand still long enough to get a covering of snow?

It depends on how grim they are.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from Janet Baraclough..

contains
these words:

Thus it is, that all Franz's posts are now fed direct to worms

and
turn into compost, saving me from going blind and mad trying to
disentangle them. (The posts, not the worms). Try it, and your own
confusion will melt away like snow off a dike.

Do dikes stand still long enough to get a covering of snow?

Ask the little Dutch boy.

Mike.

Old 14-11-2004, 07:03 AM
Dumbo

On 11/11/04 11:19 PM, in article ,
"Franz Heymann" wrote:

"Gary Davis" wrote in message
On 11/11/04 3:25 AM, in article

, "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
On 11/10/04 9:34 AM, in article ,

"bigboard" wrote in message
suspicious minds wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message

[...]

Yes Franz....good point Franz...I don't really believe that there is anyone
who can help you with your problem. I'm so sorry that I was unable to help
but I will keep tabs on your problem. Take care.