Old 20-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Steve Jackson

In message , June Hughes
writes
Ah. Please enlighten me - was the notorious winter of 1947 1946/7 or 1947/8?

1947/48.

Sorry June, I think it was 1946-47!

In fact, the winter didn't get going until late January that year but
persisted well into March - a bit before my time of course!
--
Steve Jackson,
Bablake Weather Station,
Old 20-11-2004, 10:55 AM
June Hughes

In message , Steve Jackson
writes
In message , June Hughes
writes
Ah. Please enlighten me - was the notorious winter of 1947 1946/7 or 1947/8?

1947/48.

Sorry June, I think it was 1946-47!

In fact, the winter didn't get going until late January that year but
persisted well into March - a bit before my time of course!

I stand corrected, having just found a photograph taken in February
1947.
--
June Hughes
Old 20-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Steve Jackson contains these words:
In message , June Hughes
writes
Ah. Please enlighten me - was the notorious winter of 1947 1946/7 or
1947/8?

1947/48.

Sorry June, I think it was 1946-47!

In fact, the winter didn't get going until late January that year but
persisted well into March - a bit before my time of course!

That was what was lodged in my memory - but I put the question with no
prompts.

phew!

Not losing it, after all!

/phew

Not before my time though. My memory was waking up on my seventh
birthday (30th April) to find that the almond tree outside my bedroom
window, which was bloomin' late that year, was covered with a cap of
snow. It was so beautiful - like a Chinese painting - the bare branches
almost black against the bright sky, along with the pink petals of the
flowers all with a Christmas-card covering of snow.

Normality restored.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 20-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Jennifer Sparkes

The message
from Steve Jackson contains these words:

Sorry June, I think it was 1946-47!

Agree, memory ((

... and look at: http://www.winter1947.co.uk/
(posted by Martin 11.11.04.)

quote from website:- "THE 1947 WINTER IN HALESOWEN, WEST MIDLANDS
Halesowen Winter 1947 Summary January February March
The three months of January to March 1947 [ a period of 90 days ] represented
one of the most severe spells of weather encountered in this country ..."

Jennifer

Old 20-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Paddy

In message , Steve Jackson
writes
In message , June Hughes
writes
Ah. Please enlighten me - was the notorious winter of 1947 1946/7 or 1947/8?

1947/48.

Sorry June, I think it was 1946-47!

In fact, the winter didn't get going until late January that year but
persisted well into March - a bit before my time of course!

Indeed, the ambulance couldn't get up the street to take my mum to
(maternity) hospital so the crew had to struggle up the street with a
stretcher to carry her out. That was mid March.
Strangely I've always loved the snow
--
Paul reply-to is valid

Old 20-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...

[snip]

Ah. Please enlighten me - was the notorious winter of 1947 1946/7 or

1947/8?

1946/7

Franz

Old 20-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Franz Heymann

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Steve Jackson contains these words:

I think you will find the winter in question was 1962-63!

Steve Jackson,
Bablake Weather Station,
Coventry, UK
http://www.netlink.co.uk/users/bws

Ah. Please enlighten me - was the notorious winter of 1947 1946/7

or 1947/8?

1947/48.

That is incorrect. I left South Africa to settle in England in April
1947, and I experienced the tail end of the 1946/7 winter. Even in
April, the cold could freeze the balls off a brass monkey.. The
1847/8 winter was comparatively milder and shorter.

Franz

Old 20-11-2004, 03:45 PM
Franz Heymann

"Steve Jackson" wrote in message
In message , June Hughes
writes
Ah. Please enlighten me - was the notorious winter of 1947 1946/7

or 1947/8?

1947/48.

Sorry June, I think it was 1946-47!

In fact, the winter didn't get going until late January that year

but
persisted well into March - a bit before my time of course!

Well into April. I experienced it.

Franz

Old 20-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:44:33 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

snip

The
1847/8 winter was comparatively milder and shorter.

You can't possibly remember that one :-)

I was only checking whether you were paying proper attention to the
discourse.

{:-))

Franz
--
Martin

Old 20-11-2004, 09:14 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

The 1847/8 winter was comparatively milder and shorter.

You can't possibly remember that one :-)

Why not? One of the earlier tests for a budding warlock is to
extend youth and life, and I was a witchdoctor by the time that
I was seven.

Don't contradict me or I will turn you into a toad :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 20-11-2004, 09:17 PM
June Hughes

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...

[snip]

Ah. Please enlighten me - was the notorious winter of 1947 1946/7 or

1947/8?

1946/7

Yes it was. I originally thought it was 1947/48 until I looked at the
photographs.
--
June Hughes
Old 21-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:52:59 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

snip

The
1847/8 winter was comparatively milder and shorter.

You can't possibly remember that one :-)

I was only checking whether you were paying proper attention to the
discourse.

{:-))

I wasn't. I was in West Yorkshire being impressed by the amount of
snow that fell on Thursday evening. I was almost as impressed by the
amount of rain that fell on Huddersfield on Wednesday evening and
during the day on Thursday.

It did not fall in Wensleydale itself, but the Pennines were
beautifully draped on Friday.
Yesterday there was almost none left

Franz

Old 21-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:

The message

Don't contradict me or I will turn you into a toad :-)

Oh no you won't :-)

Rivvet - Rivvet - Rivvet...