Old 12-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

Is it too late to say I've just remembered I was born in 46, not 47?

(Hides under rock)

I am impressed. I don't remember being born.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:17 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

Is it too late to say I've just remembered I was born in 46, not

47?

(Hides under rock)

I am impressed. I don't remember being born.

Don't try to recover the memory: it was awful!

Mike.

Old 13-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Registered User

Location: Kent

Don't remember 47/48

I do remember going to school through a tunnel dug through a snowdrift in 1963.....

And the ice on the inside of the bedroom window...

Brrr
Old 13-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
[...]
I was born in balmy Jersey in January '46, so can't help I'm

afraid.

I had a barmy jersey once, along with an utterly deranged gardening
hat, but the children made me throw them away.

Mike.

Old 13-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Chakoteya contains these
words:

Don't remember 47/48

I do remember going to school through a tunnel dug through a snowdrift
in 1963.....

And the ice on the inside of the bedroom window...

Brrr

Huh! Winter of 1978 - ice on the inside of my bedroom walls...

Water butt (three feet diameter, four feet high) froze solid.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 18-11-2004, 01:36 PM
David WE Roberts

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:59:23 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

It is starting!

It is starting!

Mind you if it is the worst in 100 years it is going to be a belter - I am
not quite as mature as some of the more senior posters but I remember the
(I think) '63/'64 winter in Essex where the snowdrifts were huge!

AFAIK they have just stopped putting up the snow fences alongside the A14
to stop drifting (which they started doing after a really sever winter in
the early '90s) so Murphy's law suggests that we are due for another hard
winter.

After which they will put up snow fences for another 10 years, then.....

Now where did I put my snow chains?

Cheers

Dave R
Old 18-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from David WE Roberts contains these words:

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:59:23 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

It is starting!

It is starting!

Mind you if it is the worst in 100 years it is going to be a belter - I am
not quite as mature as some of the more senior posters but I remember the
(I think) '63/'64 winter in Essex where the snowdrifts were huge!

ISTR it was predicted that it would be the worst this century...

AFAIK they have just stopped putting up the snow fences alongside the A14
to stop drifting (which they started doing after a really sever winter in
the early '90s) so Murphy's law suggests that we are due for another hard
winter.

No, Murphy's Law applies to aircraft parts. it's Sod's Law you're
thinking of. And applying Sod's Law you'd expect no more drifting snow
until the fences fall down, or it to drift east-west, or something quite
unexpected, like it all dropping in a ribbon over the A14 innit.

After which they will put up snow fences for another 10 years, then.....

Now where did I put my snow chains?

#Jingle chains, jingle chains,
In the crisp deep snow:
Stranded cars in all the lanes,
You still cannot go!

Nyaa - nyaaa - nye-nyaaa - nyaaaaa

Old 19-11-2004, 11:34 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from David WE Roberts contains these words:

snip
Now where did I put my snow chains?

#Jingle chains, jingle chains,
In the crisp deep snow:
Stranded cars in all the lanes,
You still cannot go!

Nyaa - nyaaa - nye-nyaaa - nyaaaaa

Very true - the conditions where snow chains are of benefit are extremely
limited - you need at least a couple of inches of settled snow but no snow
drifts or abandoned cars.

Got them over 20 years ago when we lived in Debyshire - to do the last mile
into the hills.

The main roads were clear but they didn't plough or grit the minor roads.

I spent more time taking them off and putting them on than driving with
them.

Without them, however, we would have been stranded for days at a time and I
needed to get to work :-)

No snow here at the moment - but very cold.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 19-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Steve Jackson

In message , David WE Roberts
writes
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:59:23 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:
Mind you if it is the worst in 100 years it is going to be a belter - I am
not quite as mature as some of the more senior posters but I remember the
(I think) '63/'64 winter in Essex where the snowdrifts were huge!

I think you will find the winter in question was 1962-63!
--
Steve Jackson,
Bablake Weather Station,
Old 19-11-2004, 07:36 PM
JennyC

"Steve Jackson" wrote in message
In message , David WE Roberts
writes
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:59:23 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:
Mind you if it is the worst in 100 years it is going to be a belter - I am
not quite as mature as some of the more senior posters but I remember the
(I think) '63/'64 winter in Essex where the snowdrifts were huge!

I think you will find the winter in question was 1962-63!
--
Steve Jackson,
Bablake Weather Station,
Coventry, UK
http://www.netlink.co.uk/users/bws

Indeed !! I remember wading through huge drifts over Xmas while trying to get to
the park to meet my boyfriend....:~)

The met office has the following:
The winter of 1962/63 was the coldest over England and Wales since 1740. As in
1947, anticyclones to the north and east of the British Isles brought bitterly
cold winds from the east day after day. As in 1947, depressions followed tracks
to southward of the British Isles and their fronts brought snow to England,
Wales and the southernmost parts of Scotland.

Jenny

Old 20-11-2004, 02:30 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Steve Jackson contains these words:

I think you will find the winter in question was 1962-63!

Steve Jackson,
Bablake Weather Station,
Coventry, UK
http://www.netlink.co.uk/users/bws

Ah. Please enlighten me - was the notorious winter of 1947 1946/7 or 1947/8?

Old 20-11-2004, 02:45 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:
[...]

And on the day that started I was hitch-hiking to Scotland for Hogmanay.
The blizzards chased me up the country, catching me up around Shap.
There, I was in a small Standard van, and the driver of a Glaswegian who
*WAS* going to get there, come what may.

We zoomed down Shap Fell at high speed in driving snow. He said, "Whull
ye gait ower the back axle please, tae gie me mair grupp oan th' wee
up?"

And shortly after that: "Ah hoap we dinnae meet an arrrtic comin' doon
sidewees!" An heartfelt wish on my part too.

I reached Mallaig on New Year's Eve and in the bar was courteously asked
by a fisherman if he minded them continuing their conversation in
Gaelic. I said something to the effect that it was none of my business,
please feel free.

It was only when I grinned at a particularly spicy phrase that it was
realised that I had a bit of the Gaelic...

...The evening became rather convivial, and I retired to my tent when the
bar closed. Shortly afterwards the first-footers arrived, and until five
in the morning there were never less than four people in my two man
tent.

I'm not quite sure how I got up in time to phone the parents when I
heard the news about the Great Standstill, to tell them I was OK, and
then to catch the ferry...

The weather was so warm I was in shirtsleeves all N'eer'sday, and there
was whin in bloom all along the east coast of Skye.

Hmmm. Educated the spellcheck a bit innit.

Old 20-11-2004, 08:39 AM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Steve Jackson contains these words:

I think you will find the winter in question was 1962-63!

Steve Jackson,
Bablake Weather Station,
Coventry, UK
http://www.netlink.co.uk/users/bws

Ah. Please enlighten me - was the notorious winter of 1947 1946/7 or 1947/8?

1947/48.
--
June Hughes