Old 10-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Matthew J.E. Durkin

Default dry root trees

Hi All,
on gardeners world a few weeks back Monty was planting some pears. He'd got
them dry root and was training them to be espaliers. It's exactly what I
wanted to do so I was dead pleased I happened to catch the program.
Question is - where can I buy dry root pears? Local garden centres don't
seem to have them.
I live in St Albans, but any mail order company will do - I expect they'd be
quite resilient to transportation in their dormant state...
Thanks,
Matthew

Old 10-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Mike Lyle

Matthew J.E. Durkin wrote:
Hi All,
on gardeners world a few weeks back Monty was planting some pears.
He'd got them dry root and was training them to be espaliers. It's
exactly what I wanted to do so I was dead pleased I happened to

catch
the program. Question is - where can I buy dry root pears? Local
garden centres don't seem to have them.
I live in St Albans, but any mail order company will do - I expect
they'd be quite resilient to transportation in their dormant

state...

Two names come to my mind: Buckingham Nurseries and Deacon's
Nurseries. I 've dealt with both, and they're good. Addresses on the
Web.

I call them "bare-rooted", of course: I wouldn't want them too dry!

Mike.

Old 10-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Matthew J.E. Durkin" contains these words:

on gardeners world a few weeks back Monty was planting some pears. He'd got
them dry root and was training them to be espaliers. It's exactly what I
wanted to do so I was dead pleased I happened to catch the program.
Question is - where can I buy dry root pears? Local garden centres don't
seem to have them.
I live in St Albans, but any mail order company will do - I expect
they'd be
quite resilient to transportation in their dormant state...

Ken Muir do dry root trees. Or, they did.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 10-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Matthew J.E. Durkin" contains

these
words:

on gardeners world a few weeks back Monty was planting some pears.
He'd got them dry root [...]

Ken Muir do dry root trees. Or, they did.

OT, with word-fancier hat on: I haven't consciously met the
expression "dry root" before, having always used "bare-rooted". Can I
assume from this exchange that it's a widespread alternative?

Mike.

Old 10-11-2004, 11:46 PM
anton

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message
Hi All,
on gardeners world a few weeks back Monty was planting some pears. He'd

got
them dry root and was training them to be espaliers. It's exactly what I
wanted to do so I was dead pleased I happened to catch the program.
Question is - where can I buy dry root pears? Local garden centres don't
seem to have them.
I live in St Albans, but any mail order company will do - I expect they'd

be
quite resilient to transportation in their dormant state...

try a google on:
buckingham nurseries
talaton devon
brogdale kent
keepers nursery kent
deacons isle of wight
reads nurseries norfolk

and if you get any dry root pear trees, I'd complain if I were you. They're
supposed to be bare, not dry :-0

--
Anton

Old 11-11-2004, 10:31 AM
Philip

"Matthew J.E. Durkin" wrote in message ...
Hi All,
on gardeners world a few weeks back Monty was planting some pears. He'd got
them dry root and was training them to be espaliers. It's exactly what I
wanted to do so I was dead pleased I happened to catch the program.
Question is - where can I buy dry root pears? Local garden centres don't
seem to have them.
I live in St Albans, but any mail order company will do - I expect they'd be
quite resilient to transportation in their dormant state...
Thanks,
Matthew

Matthew

The term is "Bare Root" not "Dry Root". The roots of Bare rooted
trees must never be allowed to dry out.

New root from an external root? Mike Orchids 10 01-01-2005 07:34 PM
dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 01:32 AM
[IBC] Moss in dry climes (was: [IBC] Misting outdoor trees) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 12-04-2003 02:44 PM
Hi, saw these thought Some Folks here might find them Usefull in these dry times (url) Root Watering Christopher Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM