Old 16-11-2004, 08:23 PM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

My fig grows in a sunken bath.

OK. I give in. I shall dig, dig, dig then submerge an old washing
machine drum I intend to obtain from the local amenities site. Thanks
Rusty.

You know it makes scents...

Do get a large one though, and stainless steel, or it will eventually
rust and the fig will escape - mabe not your problem by then. mind.

I shall make sure to get one that will see me out
--
June Hughes
Old 18-11-2004, 12:49 AM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

My fig grows in a sunken bath.

OK. I give in. I shall dig, dig, dig then submerge an old washing
machine drum I intend to obtain from the local amenities site. Thanks
Rusty.

You know it makes scents...

Do get a large one though, and stainless steel, or it will eventually
rust and the fig will escape - mabe not your problem by then. mind.

Sorry to be a pain. If a washing machine drum is around 2ft deep and
2ft wide, why can't I leave my fig where it is, in its similar-sized
plastic container on the patio? (Where it can't escape

PS I know I would have to change the compost or use good feed now and
again.
--
June Hughes
Old 18-11-2004, 01:15 AM
Mike Lyle

June Hughes wrote:
[...]

Is your pot _really_ that big? Remember that in volume a linear six
inches each way can make a big difference. The advantage of putting
it in the ground is that you don't have to worry about watering; and
for some reason, even with root restriction, soil exhaustion is less
of a problem than it would be in a container (in so far as figs care
at all about trivial details like soil exhaustion).

I wouldn't dare argue with Bob Flowerdew; but I'd really like to know
how _long_ he's been growing figs in washing-machine drums, and
whether they were little domestic ones or bigger launderette ones. A
two-foot cube is a hell of a lot bigger than the drum of my washing
machine, I can tell you.

(In the middle east you often see wild figs growing in cracks in
rocks and other really inhospitable places; but I never saw one of
these cropping convincingly.)

Mike.

Old 18-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Sorry to be a pain. If a washing machine drum is around 2ft deep and
2ft wide, why can't I leave my fig where it is, in its similar-sized
plastic container on the patio? (Where it can't escape

You can, and it will survive, but having a 'pot' in the soil ensures
that the eco-system the fig lives in is not an artificial one - and it's
not missing something, and the moisture in the pot isn't stagnant,
and-and-and...

PS I know I would have to change the compost or use good feed now and
again.

Well, if you mulch it with freshly rotted compost and there are worms in
your pot, that could go some way to accomplishing both.

However, I'd be tempted to put it into a much bigger pot. (Just a gut
feeling, though.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 19-11-2004, 12:14 AM
June Hughes

In message , Mike Lyle
writes

Is your pot _really_ that big? Remember that in volume a linear six
inches each way can make a big difference. The advantage of putting
it in the ground is that you don't have to worry about watering; and
for some reason, even with root restriction, soil exhaustion is less
of a problem than it would be in a container (in so far as figs care
at all about trivial details like soil exhaustion).

I wouldn't argue with the watering aspect. Have lost a few herbs
because they were in pots
I wouldn't dare argue with Bob Flowerdew; but I'd really like to know
how _long_ he's been growing figs in washing-machine drums, and
whether they were little domestic ones or bigger launderette ones. A
two-foot cube is a hell of a lot bigger than the drum of my washing
machine, I can tell you.

That did cross my mind.
(In the middle east you often see wild figs growing in cracks in
rocks and other really inhospitable places; but I never saw one of
these cropping convincingly.)

I think I'll leave it where it is.
--
June Hughes

Old 19-11-2004, 11:08 PM
June Hughes

OK, Rusty. You are right. I watched Monty Don tonight and the part of
the programme about edible figs matched your view 100%. - Paving
slabs. Pruning the tiny figs. Digging a huge hole. The lot. It was
almost as though the scene had been planned with my query in mind.

However, in defence of keeping my fig in its pot, I have to say my pot
is at least three or four times the size of the plastic pot Monty's fig
was in before going into its paving-stone-clad hole. However, I am
still tempted by the fact that the moisture in the ground is going to
benefit the plant, so shall probably move it in the spring.
--
June Hughes
Old 20-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

OK, Rusty. You are right. I watched Monty Don tonight and the part of
the programme about edible figs matched your view 100%. - Paving
slabs. Pruning the tiny figs. Digging a huge hole. The lot. It was
almost as though the scene had been planned with my query in mind.

I wasn't the one to mention paving slabs, and I don't take the tiny figs
off either.

However, in defence of keeping my fig in its pot, I have to say my pot
is at least three or four times the size of the plastic pot Monty's fig
was in before going into its paving-stone-clad hole. However, I am
still tempted by the fact that the moisture in the ground is going to
benefit the plant, so shall probably move it in the spring.

Well, it's an awful tie - though figs can withstand a fair amount of
drought, they will drink a lot of water if it is there.

I just can't visit the far-flung relatives because of things in pots
which require regular watering. (Bog myrtle especially.)

Old 21-11-2004, 08:48 AM
June Hughes

In message , June Hughes
writes
OK, Rusty. You are right. I watched Monty Don tonight and the part of
the programme about edible figs matched your view 100%. - Paving
slabs. Pruning the tiny figs. Digging a huge hole. The lot. It was
almost as though the scene had been planned with my query in mind.

However, in defence of keeping my fig in its pot, I have to say my pot
is at least three or four times the size of the plastic pot Monty's fig
was in before going into its paving-stone-clad hole. However, I am
still tempted by the fact that the moisture in the ground is going to
benefit the plant, so shall probably move it in the spring.

Pam - Thank-you for your kind offer to lend me the video recording of
Monty Don and the figs. I tried replying to your email but it bounced.
I watched the programme myself but it was very kind of you to think of
me. Thanks again and sorry for messing up my reply to you.
--
June Hughes