Old 24-11-2004, 04:02 PM
June Hughes

Default edible figs - help please - Rusty

Message for Rusty re watering plants - like figs -

You mentioned about not being able to go away because of having to water
stuff. In the summer, I bought a watering system made by Gardena on a
special offer in our garden centre. About £50. Possibly one of my daft
ideas. I haven't used it yet but intend to set it up in the spring. (A
friend offered to stay at our house whilst we were on hols, which was
much more satisfactory). Anyway, if it works, a similar one might solve
your problem. It attaches to the outside tap and runs off an ordinary 9v
battery (the oblong ones). Narrow plastic pipes are joined together and
extentions from them are stuck in the pots or places which need
watering. There is some sort of sensor, which opens the valve to let
the water out of the tap when the plants need watering. It is possible
to expand the system into a huge watering system, which is beyond my
needs but may be useful for you.

I hate going away just as everything needs lots of watering but with our
youngest still at school, going in term-time is not an option. I shall
let you know whether or not it works after I have set it up.
--
June Hughes
Old 24-11-2004, 05:30 PM
June Hughes

In message , June Hughes
writes

www.gardena.co.uk
--
June Hughes
Old 24-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

[...]

Er, thanks, but I've earnt just about a couple of hundred pounds this year...

Besides, I'm making one myself.

I hate going away just as everything needs lots of watering but with our
youngest still at school, going in term-time is not an option. I shall
let you know whether or not it works after I have set it up.

The trouble is that some plants drink more than others. For instance,
the potted passionfruit probably drink four or five times the amount
that the citrus trees do, and the bog myrtle and sphagnum moss have to
have rainwater.

Tomatoes, runner beans and such need even more, and then there's pot
size to take into consideration, and the bonsai have to be watered
several times a day in hot weather...

With an automatic watering system some things will drown while others parch.

Unless...

But it's good of you to tell me of your plans - I hope it all works out
for you.

(If I get round to it I might install what amounts to a giant shower, though.)

[...]

Besides, I'm making one myself out of bits and pieces.

I hate going away just as everything needs lots of watering but with our
youngest still at school, going in term-time is not an option. I shall
let you know whether or not it works after I have set it up.

The trouble is that some plants drink more than others. For instance,
the potted passionfruit drink four or five times the amount that the
citrus trees do, and the bog myrtle and sphagnum moss have to have
rainwater.

Tomatoes, runner beans and such need even more, and then there's pot
size to take into consideration, and the bonsai have to be watered
several times a day in hot weather...

But it's good of you to tell me of your plans - I hope it all works out
for you.

With most automatic watering systems some things will drown while others
parch. I have a sort-of giant showerbath in mind, running from filtered
rainwater stored in my orange-juice bottle.
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/cobble/cobble.htm

You'll see the bottle in (IIRC) the third pic, peeping over the side of
the partly-built shed.

And then there are the slugs...

An automatic slugmallet?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 24-11-2004, 09:49 PM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
snip

But it's good of you to tell me of your plans - I hope it all works out
for you.

Thank-you.
With most automatic watering systems some things will drown while others
parch. I have a sort-of giant showerbath in mind, running from filtered
rainwater stored in my orange-juice bottle.
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/cobble/cobble.htm

Blimey!!

I have two questions:

1 What is a 'netty', please? (possibly a loo?)

2 Not a question but a comment. It is lovely. It made me smile.
It made me think, - and it is beautifully written. (I'm going right
over the top, but what the heck? It's great.)

You'll see the bottle in (IIRC) the third pic, peeping over the side of
the partly-built shed.

Yes, I saw it. First time round, I read the above as peeing, not
peeping Sorry!
And then there are the slugs...

An automatic slugmallet?

Go for it!
--
June Hughes
Old 24-11-2004, 11:01 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/cobble/cobble.htm

Blimey!!

I have two questions:

1 What is a 'netty', please? (possibly a loo?)

Thunderbox.

2 Not a question but a comment. It is lovely. It made me smile.
It made me think, - and it is beautifully written. (I'm going right
over the top, but what the heck? It's great.)

Coo! Flattery will get you everywhere. The language is diluted Sheddi.
Pure Sheddi is a bit difficult for beginners. If you dare, have a look
at http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm where the hfr of the
torchered Ratyvfu langridge will give you the screaming abdabs.

You'll see the bottle in (IIRC) the third pic, peeping over the side of
the partly-built shed.

Yes, I saw it. First time round, I read the above as peeing, not
peeping Sorry!

I think it must be having a little prostate trouble as it can't pee that high.

And then there are the slugs...

An automatic slugmallet? |

Go for it! \ |

\ S|

-THUNK!- ---------zipp-------------------L|
/ A|
/ T|

____________________________________________|

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 24-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I have two questions:

1 What is a 'netty', please? (possibly a loo?)

Thunderbox.

A.k.a. khazi or, in my schooldays, egypt (don't ask me why).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-11-2004, 11:28 PM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

snip

Coo! Flattery will get you everywhere. The language is diluted Sheddi.
Pure Sheddi is a bit difficult for beginners. If you dare, have a look
at http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm where the hfr of the
torchered Ratyvfu langridge will give you the screaming abdabs.

I like it. Esp the music bit. However, one question - why the little
'97' ?

Thanks for that. I'll look again...........
--
June Hughes
Old 24-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Mike Lyle

June Hughes wrote:
[...] However, one question - why the little
'97' ?

'Cause it ain't 48.

Mike.

Old 25-11-2004, 12:52 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I like it. Esp the music bit. However, one question - why the little
'97' ?

[97]?

It's wot are called a footlingnote in Ye Shedde

Scroll down a bit and you get the eggs plain nation [98·77]

[98·77] You can't do it in ASCII ²¹³

²¹³ Oh yes you can! (Ed.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 25-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Tim Tyler

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote or quoted:

The trouble is that some plants drink more than others. For instance,
the potted passionfruit probably drink four or five times the amount
that the citrus trees do, and the bog myrtle and sphagnum moss have to
have rainwater.

Tomatoes, runner beans and such need even more, and then there's pot
size to take into consideration, and the bonsai have to be watered
several times a day in hot weather...

With an automatic watering system some things will drown while others parch.

Unless...

Exactly. I'd list that as one of the /advantages/ of an automatic
watering system - you can control where the drippers/sprinklers/nozzles are.
--