Old 14-11-2004, 08:19 AM
June Hughes

Default edible figs - help please

Hi everyone. Long time, no post. I hope you are all well.

I have a question which I hope someone can help with. I purchased a fig
tree in spring and it has produced some lovely figs. The supplier told
me to leave it in its huge pot on the patio, which I did. It has
several small, unripe (ie green) figs left on it but has shed all its
leaves. Is this normal, please - ie do edible fig trees shed their
leaves in winter?

If they don't, can anyone tell me what is wrong with it, please?

Also, is it right to leave it in the pot (the pot is huge - about the
size of one of those large buckets with rope handles)?

I would hate to think I have killed it off and the RHS books I have
don't seem to contain any information at all.

Many thanks in advance.
--
June Hughes
Old 14-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Kay

In article , June Hughes
writes
Hi everyone. Long time, no post. I hope you are all well.

I have a question which I hope someone can help with. I purchased a fig
tree in spring and it has produced some lovely figs. The supplier told
me to leave it in its huge pot on the patio, which I did. It has
several small, unripe (ie green) figs left on it but has shed all its
leaves. Is this normal, please - ie do edible fig trees shed their
leaves in winter?

Yes.
It will also shed all the small figs that are on it atm. They have two
generations of figs a year, and in this country only the earlier
generation will ripen.

--
Kay

Old 14-11-2004, 09:36 AM
June Hughes

In message , Kay
writes
In article , June Hughes
writes
Hi everyone. Long time, no post. I hope you are all well.

I have a question which I hope someone can help with. I purchased a fig
tree in spring and it has produced some lovely figs. The supplier told
me to leave it in its huge pot on the patio, which I did. It has
several small, unripe (ie green) figs left on it but has shed all its
leaves. Is this normal, please - ie do edible fig trees shed their
leaves in winter?

Yes.
It will also shed all the small figs that are on it atm. They have two
generations of figs a year, and in this country only the earlier
generation will ripen.

Great. Thanks Kay. That sounds about right for my fig. It has small
buds at the ends of the branches but I didn't want them to drop off as
well as the leaves. You have put my mind at rest.

I bought it on the local farmers' market, which is now sadly defunct due
to lack of support and have no way of knowing whether or not what the
supplier told me was correct. I don't suppose you know whether or not
it should remain in its pot?

Many thanks again.
--
June Hughes
Old 14-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 08:19:48 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

Hi everyone. Long time, no post. I hope you are all well.

I have a question which I hope someone can help with. I purchased a fig
tree in spring and it has produced some lovely figs. The supplier told
me to leave it in its huge pot on the patio, which I did. It has
several small, unripe (ie green) figs left on it but has shed all its
leaves. Is this normal, please - ie do edible fig trees shed their
leaves in winter?

If they don't, can anyone tell me what is wrong with it, please?

After investigating this myself, I was advised that any figs about the
size of a pea can be left on for next year. Any which are larger
should be removed before winter...... or they will fall anyway.
Therefore I removed 6 walnut-sized figs, the first fruit, from the
plant I bought this Spring and have more hopes for next year.
Good luck

Pam in Bristol

Old 14-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
June Hughes wrote:

I have a question which I hope someone can help with. I purchased a fig
tree in spring and it has produced some lovely figs. The supplier told
me to leave it in its huge pot on the patio, which I did. It has
several small, unripe (ie green) figs left on it but has shed all its
leaves. Is this normal, please - ie do edible fig trees shed their
leaves in winter?

Yes. And, in hot, dry parts of the world, they may do so in summer.

Also, is it right to leave it in the pot (the pot is huge - about the
size of one of those large buckets with rope handles)?

Yes. Try and avoid the pot freezing or staying waterlogged, but that
is all.

I would hate to think I have killed it off and the RHS books I have
don't seem to contain any information at all.

The number of books that contain a practical overview is small.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Great. Thanks Kay. That sounds about right for my fig. It has small
buds at the ends of the branches but I didn't want them to drop off as
well as the leaves. You have put my mind at rest.

I bought it on the local farmers' market, which is now sadly defunct due
to lack of support and have no way of knowing whether or not what the
supplier told me was correct. I don't suppose you know whether or not
it should remain in its pot?

Leave it in its pot until it really outgrows it. Then, if you want to
plant it out, either put it a good distance from any expensive masonry
(fig trees grow enormous, eventually. I don't know about the liklihood
of damage to foundations, but they'll throw a long shadow.).

It is better to restrict it, and a good tip given here some time ago was
to dig a hole and into it put the stainless steel drum from an old
washing machine or tumble drier. Replace soil and plant it in that.
(I've buried an old bath, and my fig tree lives in it.)

Don't bother about removing green figs, they will fall of of their own
accord - or go on in the summer to better things if the winter isn't too
hard.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-11-2004, 11:05 AM
June Hughes

In message , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

Hi everyone. Long time, no post. I hope you are all well.

I have a question which I hope someone can help with. I purchased a fig
tree in spring and it has produced some lovely figs. The supplier told
me to leave it in its huge pot on the patio, which I did. It has
several small, unripe (ie green) figs left on it but has shed all its
leaves. Is this normal, please - ie do edible fig trees shed their
leaves in winter?

If they don't, can anyone tell me what is wrong with it, please?

After investigating this myself, I was advised that any figs about the
size of a pea can be left on for next year. Any which are larger
should be removed before winter...... or they will fall anyway.
Therefore I removed 6 walnut-sized figs, the first fruit, from the
plant I bought this Spring and have more hopes for next year.
Good luck

Great, Pam. Thanks. I am about to remove my (also 6!) walnut-sized
figs from the plant.
--
June Hughes
Old 14-11-2004, 11:07 AM
June Hughes

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
June Hughes wrote:

I would hate to think I have killed it off and the RHS books I have
don't seem to contain any information at all.

The number of books that contain a practical overview is small.

Thanks Nick. Yes, I have found that to be the case - or to put it more
bluntly, I haven't found any information at all. The only stuff in the
books is about the other (evergreen) plant they call a fig but isn't.
--
June Hughes
Old 14-11-2004, 12:07 PM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
[...]

I have taken note of what you have said and shall move my fig tree next
year. Thanks. (Presumably the best time to do this is spring?)
--
June Hughes

Old 14-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I have taken note of what you have said and shall move my fig tree next
year. Thanks. (Presumably the best time to do this is spring?)

Since it's potted, it doesn't really matter - you don't need to tease
the roots out if you're going to constrict them anyway.

All you need do is to knock it out of its pot and plant the whole
root/earth ball.

Old 14-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
June Hughes wrote:

Thanks Nick. Yes, I have found that to be the case - or to put it more
bluntly, I haven't found any information at all. The only stuff in the
books is about the other (evergreen) plant they call a fig but isn't.

Oh, I think that it IS a fig - just as the rubber trees are - but
in the sense of belonging to genus Ficus and not in the sense of
producing edible figs.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-11-2004, 03:24 PM
JennyC

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I have taken note of what you have said and shall move my fig tree next
year. Thanks. (Presumably the best time to do this is spring?)

Since it's potted, it doesn't really matter - you don't need to tease
the roots out if you're going to constrict them anyway.

All you need do is to knock it out of its pot and plant the whole
root/earth ball.
Rusty

You can also leave in the pot, but it will do better in the ground :~)

Mines been in it's 'pot' (large black rubber pot plasterers use for mixing up
in) for several years and I get a few figs each year.

Jenny

Old 14-11-2004, 06:50 PM
June Hughes

In message , JennyC
writes

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I have taken note of what you have said and shall move my fig tree next
year. Thanks. (Presumably the best time to do this is spring?)

Since it's potted, it doesn't really matter - you don't need to tease
the roots out if you're going to constrict them anyway.

All you need do is to knock it out of its pot and plant the whole
root/earth ball.
Rusty

You can also leave in the pot, but it will do better in the ground :~)

Mines been in it's 'pot' (large black rubber pot plasterers use for mixing up
in) for several years and I get a few figs each year.

That is what mine is in. I am so pleased it isn't on its last legs!
--
June Hughes
Old 14-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Victoria Clare

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in
k:

Leave it in its pot until it really outgrows it. Then, if you want to
plant it out, either put it a good distance from any expensive masonry
(fig trees grow enormous, eventually. I don't know about the liklihood
of damage to foundations, but they'll throw a long shadow.).

Um, maybe I have a different definition of 'enormous' but I wouldn't
describe figs as that. They do tend to flop about all over the place and
make a very messy big bush, but they aren't exactly leylandii.

I've usually seen them grown as wall shrubs, including at RHS Rosemoor, and
the usual advice is to train them against a south-facing wall - for example
http://www.easyfruit.co.uk/figs/.

Are you sure they are a risk to walls?

Don't bother about removing green figs, they will fall of of their own
accord - or go on in the summer to better things if the winter isn't
too hard.

This is wrong for at least one variety of fig (mine!). Remove the green
figs: if you have a sufficiently sheltered location, they will stay stuck
on the tree until about May: they then fall off without ripening, but this
delays the onset of the next generation, which then doesn't get big enough
to ripen before the winter arrives again.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall