Old 16-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Richard Sterry

Default What ate my shed?

Well, started to eat my shed - I think it will be a little while before it
disappears altogether!

Take a look at...

http://www.sterry.org.uk/temp/what_ate_my_shed.jpg

Actually, I know the answer, and was initially very surprised when I caught
the culprit(s) in the very act of vandalising my beloved shed. Anyone care
to guess what was responsible, before I ask how to discourage them? Humans
are not involved

--
Rick

Old 16-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Helen Hartley

"Richard Sterry" wrote in message
Well, started to eat my shed - I think it will be a little while before it
disappears altogether!

Take a look at...

http://www.sterry.org.uk/temp/what_ate_my_shed.jpg

A very hungry squirrel?

Helen

Old 16-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Mike Lyle

Richard Sterry wrote:
Well, started to eat my shed - I think it will be a little while
before it disappears altogether!

Take a look at...

http://www.sterry.org.uk/temp/what_ate_my_shed.jpg

Actually, I know the answer, and was initially very surprised when

caught the culprit(s) in the very act of vandalising my beloved

shed.
Anyone care to guess what was responsible, before I ask how to
discourage them? Humans are not involved

Surely not deer? Fallow deer leave marks a bit like that on trees;
but I'd have thought they'd have the sense to know the difference.

Mike.

Old 16-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:26:57 -0000, Richard Sterry wrote:

Well, started to eat my shed - I think it will be a little while before it
disappears altogether!

Take a look at...

http://www.sterry.org.uk/temp/what_ate_my_shed.jpg

Actually, I know the answer, and was initially very surprised when I caught
the culprit(s) in the very act of vandalising my beloved shed. Anyone care
to guess what was responsible, before I ask how to discourage them? Humans
are not involved

Wasps.
They scrape off bits of wood to make pulp for their nests.

--
Tim C.
Old 16-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Richard Sterry

"Helen Hartley" wrote in message

A very hungry squirrel?

Good guess, and we do indeed have plenty of squirrels visiting our garden,
but they are not the culprits.

Rick

Old 16-11-2004, 04:05 PM
Richard Sterry

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

Surely not deer? Fallow deer leave marks a bit like that on trees;
but I'd have thought they'd have the sense to know the difference.

There are no wild deer in this area. There are some 'farmed' deer a few
miles away, but they are not the cuplrits. Think smaller.

Rick

Old 16-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Richard Sterry

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message

Wasps.
They scrape off bits of wood to make pulp for their nests.

*DING*

Well guessed. Yes, one day I was sitting on the bench a couple of metres
from the shed, fixing a bicycle puncture I think. I could hear this
persistent little scratching noise, and at first I thought it was a small
rodent or a bird. Eventually, I found it was a wasp scratching away at the
'decorative' barge board on the front of the shed - it acted like a sounding
board. I've seen quite a few of the blighters at my shed, as it was a real
bumper year for wasps. I knew that wasps needed wood to make their nests,
but I had supposed they used decaying wood as a source, not my blinking
shed!

The shed is only 2 years old, and when it was delivered it was saturated in
wood preservative, but I guess it's no longer smelly enough to put the wasps
off. I'm wondering if I will have to use some Cuprinol on it, and if that
will discourage them for a year or two. Ideas?

Rick

Old 16-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:27:16 -0000, Richard Sterry wrote:

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message

Wasps.
They scrape off bits of wood to make pulp for their nests.

*DING*

Well guessed. Yes, one day I was sitting on the bench a couple of metres
from the shed, fixing a bicycle puncture I think. I could hear this
persistent little scratching noise, and at first I thought it was a small
rodent or a bird. Eventually, I found it was a wasp scratching away at the
'decorative' barge board on the front of the shed - it acted like a sounding
board. I've seen quite a few of the blighters at my shed, as it was a real
bumper year for wasps. I knew that wasps needed wood to make their nests,
but I had supposed they used decaying wood as a source, not my blinking
shed!

Me too!

The shed is only 2 years old, and when it was delivered it was saturated in
wood preservative, but I guess it's no longer smelly enough to put the wasps
off. I'm wondering if I will have to use some Cuprinol on it, and if that
will discourage them for a year or two. Ideas?

Rick

I noticed it more or less the same way, except I was sitting on my kid's
swing drinking a beer, and they were nibbling the legs of the frame.
I've no idea what will deter them, sorry.

--
Tim C.
Old 16-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Jim

[...]

Try to live with it. If - after 200 years- the shed is showing signs of
collapse stand guard with a strong fly swat. Worked for me.

Old 16-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Rod

wrote:

I knew that wasps needed wood to make their nests,
but I had supposed they used decaying wood as a source, not my blinking
shed!

They also commonly use fibres from dried stems, things like the dead
stems of Hogweed and Rosebay Willowherb, Thistles etc, presumably
that's what they used before we provided sheds for 'em.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

Old 16-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Richard Sterry

"Jim" (remove $ ) wrote in message

Try to live with it. If - after 200 years- the shed is showing signs of
collapse stand guard with a strong fly swat. Worked for me.

Well, it might take a while before the shed disappears, but I don't like the
marks and more to the point I don't fancy my hand landing on a wasp when
I'm using the shed!

It's going to need some maintenance, so it may as well get daubed with
someone that the little striped blighters don't like.

Rick

Old 16-11-2004, 09:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Richard Sterry" contains these words:

It's going to need some maintenance, so it may as well get daubed with
someone that the little striped blighters don't like.

Tony Blur then.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 17-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Morgan Sarum

"Richard Sterry" http://www.sterry.org.uk/temp/what_ate_my_shed.jpg

Actually, I know the answer, and was initially very surprised when I

caught
the culprit(s) in the very act of vandalising my beloved shed. Anyone care
to guess what was responsible, before I ask how to discourage them? Humans
are not involved

Wasps making pulp to build with.
they like sheds and conservatories =)

Morgan

Help! The deer ate my homework...errr...roses elfa Roses 9 22-07-2003 06:42 PM
Goats ate tree's bark Menk45 Lawns 2 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
*#^!$%& Chipmunks ate liner last winter Roger Bennett Ponds 9 22-04-2003 01:44 AM
Voles ate Our Daffodils !! John Nolan United Kingdom 4 14-04-2003 10:45 PM
Goats ate tree's bark Menk45 Lawns 2 25-02-2003 05:53 AM