Old 17-11-2004, 12:12 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Periodical salt-water flooding

I know some couples who live on large boats in Kent; a few times a
year the spring tides flood the gardens at their moorings. I haven't
yet been involved long enough to be sure which plants can take it in
the long term and which can't (except that I see half a dozen cornus
alba caved in completely in a few months).

Has anybody got any experience or knowledge of this fascinating
garden problem?

Mike.

Old 17-11-2004, 12:50 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:
| I know some couples who live on large boats in Kent; a few times a
| year the spring tides flood the gardens at their moorings. I haven't
| yet been involved long enough to be sure which plants can take it in
| the long term and which can't (except that I see half a dozen cornus
| alba caved in completely in a few months).
|
| Has anybody got any experience or knowledge of this fascinating
| garden problem?

It's worth taking a look at what grows in southern Cornwall - I am
pretty sure that the oaks around the Helford estuary, for example,
get soaked regularly. Not by flooding, but by a high tide being
driven by the wind. There are quite a lot of other places around
the country that have similar properties.

I am pretty sure that tamarisk can take it, but it likes sand.
And there are a lot of herbaceous plants that grow very close to
the tide marks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:
[...]

Tamarisk (the later-flowering species: I couldn't get the earlier
one, though I planned to mix them) is taking it in its stride so far.
Curiously, so is a solitary licorice, which I included just for fun,
though it's hardly decorative.

Camomiles dotted in the lawn have failed; but as might be expected
the grass is flourishing, though only a bog-standard gc turf mixture.

Mike.

OT - Garden Life Victorian periodical David WE Roberts[_4_] United Kingdom 6 07-09-2011 02:49 PM
Flooding NewsGroups. small fish Ponds 1 16-03-2005 07:34 PM
[IBC] Watering, or flooding... (somewhat OT) Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 4 18-02-2004 10:22 PM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
flooding mhill North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:33 PM