Old 17-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Deebrief

Default Painting flower pots

What is the best paint to use, in order that it does not flake off.

Cheers

Nick

Old 17-11-2004, 11:26 PM
Mike Lyle

Deebrief wrote:
What is the best paint to use, in order that it does not flake off.

I'd say exterior emulsion intended for painting walls. But you can't
ordinarily get that in a full range of colours, or in small tins. On
the whole, I'd say that any ordinary paint, including artists'
acrylic, would do if you seal the whole thing inside and out
afterwards to make it harder for water to get under the paint film.
The best sealer would probably be the two-pack gel-coat you use to
finish off a GRP boat. This would also help to protect the pot
against frost.

(You can partly frost-protect pots with a masonry water-proofer; but
I don't think these will take well over paint.)

Mike.

Old 19-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Double Digger

Last year I had some water based, chestnut coloured wood preservative left
over from a fence job. I applied two coats on the outside of a few old
terracotta pots and am very pleased with the result. The preservative hasn't
washed off since first painting the pots. Works just as well on old, mortar
stained bricks too!

D.D.

"Deebrief" asked:
What is the best paint to use, in order that it does not flake off.
---

painting fence margaret Gardening 1 27-04-2003 05:44 AM
Korean Literati Painting Bart Thomas Bonsai 0 24-01-2003 03:55 AM
[IBC] Have anyone heard of Rhodonite (Rose Stone) "Painting"? Anton Nijhuis Bonsai 5 24-01-2003 03:46 AM
Greenhouse painting martyn birch United Kingdom 3 02-11-2002 11:01 PM