Old 20-11-2004, 11:06 PM
ex WGS Hamm

Default pampas grass and red hot pokers

I am about to display my inate bad taste as I admit to liking these plants.
If anyone in the north cambs/south lincs area has some they want rid of I
would be happy to take them :0)

Old 20-11-2004, 11:45 PM
June Hughes

In message , ex WGS Hamm
writes
I am about to display my inate bad taste as I admit to liking these plants.
If anyone in the north cambs/south lincs area has some they want rid of I
would be happy to take them :0)

I don't think it is bad taste at all. We all have our likes and
dislikes and are all entitled to our own views. We have a smaller
version of pampas grass in our tiny (80ft by 12ft) suburban garden (we
like it and so do our friends and neighbours - no-one else's views
matter a bit) but I don't think that is what you would like.

Unfortunately, I can't help you but I am sure someone else can. Go for
it
--
June Hughes
Old 21-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:06:56 GMT, "ex WGS Hamm"
wrote:

I am about to display my inate bad taste as I admit to liking these plants.
If anyone in the north cambs/south lincs area has some they want rid of I
would be happy to take them :0)

Both are plentiful, and appreciated, in my garden!

--
Chris

Old 21-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

I am about to display my inate bad taste as I admit to liking these plants.
If anyone in the north cambs/south lincs area has some they want rid of I
would be happy to take them :0)

Both are plentiful, and appreciated, in my garden!

Not in mine - I have no room for the former, and I find most of the
latter (as grown in the UK) rather wimpish. I am very fond of them,
but feel that they should be chest high and blazing colours.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

Not in mine - I have no room for the former, and I find most of the
latter (as grown in the UK) rather wimpish. I am very fond of them,
but feel that they should be chest high and blazing colours.

I grow mostly species Kniphofias. K. linearifolia is at least chest
high, as is the hybrid Prince Igor.

Thanks for that - I must look out for them.

Nick.
Old 24-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Chris Hogg

On 22 Nov 2004 20:30:46 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

Not in mine - I have no room for the former, and I find most of the
latter (as grown in the UK) rather wimpish. I am very fond of them,
but feel that they should be chest high and blazing colours.

I grow mostly species Kniphofias. K. linearifolia is at least chest
high, as is the hybrid Prince Igor.

Thanks for that - I must look out for them.

Nick.

Sorry, I overlooked your requirement for them also to be in blazing
colours. K. linearifolia is variously orange, old-gold and greenish
orange, interesting but not blazing. Prince Igor is a more traditional
colour, orange-red at the top of the spike fading to yellow. An
established plant will put up flowers to over six feet (a 'must have'
when I saw it in a nearby garden!). Another good one is K. rooperi,
again with traditional colouring but flowers of a more rounded shape.
Height when established, at least 5 ft. (the kniphofias that form an
avenue around the east side of St. Michael's Mount in Cornwall, and
that flower so spectacularly in September, are these). K. praecox is
a good bright red and fairly tall, but as mine will only flower for
the first time next year, I can't be definite about it. I've not grown
K. northiae, but it has a reputation for having massive flower heads,
although I don't think it's especially tall or brightly coloured. It
likes a damp spot.

--
Chris

Old 24-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

[...]

I don't know what the ones I remember were - they weren't huge,
but were not the miserable little knee-height things - but they
definitely went from a bright orange-red to yellow. Of course,
the sunlight may have had something to do with it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Kniphofias / Red Hot Pokers Chris Hogg United Kingdom 6 06-11-2005 06:32 PM
Red hot pokers - how to prune? gardencottage Gardening 2 16-11-2004 10:04 AM
Is now okay to divide red hot pokers? Rosie United Kingdom 6 09-06-2004 05:25 PM
Red hot pokers Pickle United Kingdom 1 22-05-2003 07:32 PM
Transplanting Red Hot Pokers GeoThermal United Kingdom 1 04-04-2003 07:56 PM