Old 25-11-2004, 09:46 AM
JennyC

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:11:44 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

"Jim & Debbie" wrote in message
but if Charlie was gonna be there........

What is she doing nowadays?
I never see her on ZTV anymore.

What's ZTV?
Martin

Oops slip of the keyboard. Should read TV
Jenny

Old 25-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Mike Lyle

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:46:31 +0100, "JennyC"

wrote:

"Jim & Debbie" wrote in message
but if Charlie was gonna be there........

What is she doing nowadays?
I never see her on ZTV anymore.

What's ZTV?
Martin

Oops slip of the keyboard. Should read TV

Duh! I thought you had found a channel devoted to Charlie.

For a while it seemed the main channels were devoted to her, in the
gaps while rewinding the previous David Jason repeat. Possibly the
most irritating hype British TV's ever done. I'd enjoy a couple of
beers with either Alan or Tommy, though.

Mike.

Old 25-11-2004, 11:44 AM
jane

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:19:26 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

~On 24/11/04 23:58, in article
, "Jaques d'Alltrades"
wrote:
~snip I liked him when he was being sarcastic: soloist clarinet asked for
~a
~ note, produces brilliant warble...
~
~ "Gentlemen, you may take whichever of those notes you please..." OWTTE
~
~To a female cellist: "Madam, you have between your legs something capable
~of giving pleasure to all mankind and all you can do is sit there and
~scratch it."

SPLUTTER
Thanks, Sacha, my poor keyboard will never be the same!

(memo to self: don't drink tea and read urg simultaneously)

ROTFL

~On hearing Malcolm Sargent (whose nickname was 'Flash') was touring Japan
~"Ah, Flash in Japan".
~When receiving effusive cards and telegrams on his birthday "What? Nothing
~from Mozart?"

Oh, very good.
Methinks I'll have to go and look for other Beecham quotes...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 25-11-2004, 11:46 AM
BAC

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:46:28 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:
In message , Mike
writes

Somebody must. :-)

Some people like Hitler, Maggie Thatcher, Beecham :-((

That's altogether different. Not exactly as docile as AT. Anyway, I
bet none of them were gardeners.

Anyway, wossermatter with Beecham? He was a nice old buffer.

Until he was stopped in his tracks.

In 1961. Sadly missed by the Royal Philharmonic innit.

Perhaps he took a powder?

Old 25-11-2004, 12:25 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| Maggie Thatcher was famous for weeding her vegetables out of the
| cabinet.
|
| Actually, the converse was true. Anyone who showed the slightest
| bit of spine (not necessarily hawthorn, as Howes didn't have much
| more than a damson) was weeded out. By the end, there were ONLY
| vegetables left - with sticky willy Whitelaw being the only one
| that anyone knew the name of even at the time.
|
| A challenge: name another, and position, at the time she finally
| got the most ancient Order of the Boot.
|
| Major, J: Foreign Secretary? Tebbit, N: Barehanded Ratcatcher in
| Ordinary; Howard, M?: Night-Flyer Quite Extraordinary...umm...yep,
| otherwise, you're dead right.

I think that you will find that Tebbit had resigned three years
previously.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Lensman

Martin wrote :

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:09:13 +0000, Kay
wrote:

Why blame him? he's only mouthing the script.

It's his choice to accept the contract that gives him the scripts.

The choice is money for old rope or a P45.

Shredded P45s make an excellent mulching compound '-)

Old 25-11-2004, 02:41 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On hearing Malcolm Sargent (whose nickname was 'Flash') was touring Japan
"Ah, Flash in Japan".

On hearing of Malcolm Sargent's knighthood: "I knew he'd been doctored..."

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 25-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Anyway, wossermatter with Beecham? He was a nice old buffer.

Which one?
The one who sold the pills?
The one who spent the profit making music?

I never knew owt about the former.

Old 25-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin contains these words:

What's ZTV?

Typo? Speaking in a cod French accent - Ze TV?

Old 25-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Oops slip of the keyboard. Should read TV

Duh! I thought you had found a channel devoted to Charlie.

That'd be Fox News.

Old 25-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

[...]
Nick wrote:
A challenge: name another, and position, at the time she

finally
got the most ancient Order of the Boot.

Major, J: Foreign Secretary? Tebbit, N: Barehanded Ratcatcher in
Ordinary; Howard, M?: Night-Flyer Quite

Extraordinary...umm...yep,
otherwise, you're dead right.

I think that you will find that Tebbit had resigned three years
previously.

Had he really? I'd have bet on him staying the course; but I suppose
his wimpy liberalism must have got on her nerves after a while. Oh
no, I take that back: he had to look after his wife, who had been
badly injured in the bombing. I confess I warmed to him a little at
that point.

Mike.

Old 25-11-2004, 06:43 PM
David Rance

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, jane wrote:

~On hearing Malcolm Sargent (whose nickname was 'Flash') was touring Japan
~"Ah, Flash in Japan".
~When receiving effusive cards and telegrams on his birthday "What? Nothing
~from Mozart?"

Oh, very good.
Methinks I'll have to go and look for other Beecham quotes...

"Sir Thomas, what do you think of Stockhausen?"

Beecham's reply: "I trod in some once."

Beecham's definitions of musical instruments:

The organ: "a mechanical box of whistles"

The harpsichord: "sounds like two skeletons copulating on a corrugated
tin roof", or "a birdcage played with a toasting fork"

The trombone: "a sluice pump"

The upright piano: "a musical growth found adhering to the walls of most
semi-detached houses in the provinces"

And finally my favourite:

"The British don't understand music. They just like the noise it makes."

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 25-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

I think that you will find that Tebbit had resigned three years
previously.

Had he really? I'd have bet on him staying the course; but I suppose
his wimpy liberalism must have got on her nerves after a while. Oh
no, I take that back: he had to look after his wife, who had been
badly injured in the bombing. I confess I warmed to him a little at
that point.

Yes, even the most dedicated Tebbit-hater felt that it showed that
he had at least one good point. Now, Howard, on the other hand ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.