Old 25-11-2004, 11:55 AM
jane

Default flowering cherry trees

My place of work is thinking of planting a cherry tree for their 20th
anniversary next year. It's June (couldn't be worse for tree planting)
and I'm advising that they get a tree now and put it in to establish
and do a mock planting/plaque unveiling at the right time.

However, the variety is going to be fun to choose! Do any of you know
of a spectacular flowering cherry they can recommend for sticking in a
grassed area which spends half the summer baking in full sun and half
the winter being damp?

(I'm going to be working on them to change the location as it's a
non-gardener that picked it!!)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 25-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Nick Gray

"jane" wrote in message
My place of work is thinking of planting a cherry tree for their 20th
anniversary next year. It's June (couldn't be worse for tree planting)
and I'm advising that they get a tree now and put it in to establish
and do a mock planting/plaque unveiling at the right time.

However, the variety is going to be fun to choose! Do any of you know
of a spectacular flowering cherry they can recommend for sticking in a
grassed area which spends half the summer baking in full sun and half
the winter being damp?

(I'm going to be working on them to change the location as it's a
non-gardener that picked it!!)

Hi Jane,

If they buy a container grown tree it can be planted at any time of year.
Although planting in summer will mean that it needs regular watering.

Wild Cherry - Prunus avium 'Mount Fuji' - dark green leaves, banded bark,
semi-double white flowers in mid spring grows to 6m (20ft). But the planting
location you describe doesn't sound too good.

HTH

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 25-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"jane" wrote in message
My place of work is thinking of planting a cherry tree for their

20th
anniversary next year. It's June (couldn't be worse for tree

planting)
and I'm advising that they get a tree now and put it in to establish
and do a mock planting/plaque unveiling at the right time.

However, the variety is going to be fun to choose! Do any of you

know
of a spectacular flowering cherry they can recommend for sticking in

grassed area which spends half the summer baking in full sun and

half
the winter being damp?

(I'm going to be working on them to change the location as it's a
non-gardener that picked it!!)

You should have no problem if you bought a pot-grown tree when you
want to plant it.
I hope you win the tussle about the planting site, otherwise you might
be disappointed.

Franz

Old 26-11-2004, 08:07 AM
jane

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 17:42:14 GMT, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

~The message
~from (jane) contains these words:
~
~ My place of work is thinking of planting a cherry tree for their 20th
~ anniversary next year. It's June (couldn't be worse for tree planting)
~ and I'm advising that they get a tree now and put it in to establish
~ and do a mock planting/plaque unveiling at the right time.
~
~ However, the variety is going to be fun to choose! Do any of you know
~ of a spectacular flowering cherry they can recommend for sticking in a
~ grassed area which spends half the summer baking in full sun and half
~ the winter being damp?
~
~ How big is the available space..across and upwards? There are small
~ones, and giants..and the bigger ones grow fast.
~
It's the edge of a big field in front of the buildings, so as long as
it's one of the ones that go up rather than across it should be fine.

The problem is there's already two maple-like trees in the same area,
both of which are stunted with twisted trunks and which have never
grown beyond about 7' tall in 4-5 years, probably because they spend
the winter 6" deep in water. I'm going to use this fact to show how
bad the location is. I've seen lots of plants get put in round here
and then neglected and then get dug up or mown over by a totally
uncaring and unobservant ground management team (I'm not going to give
them the compliment of calling them gardeners!).

I am thankful they told me now - so I have time to change their minds!
Sadly we are limited as to location because there's only a small bit
of field that we can lay claim to out the front. And they are
resistant to it going round the more enclosed back ("but nobody will
see it") where the poor thing has a chance of surviving. What's really
needed is a huge hole with massively improved drainage and grit,
backfilled with something that builders' trucks haven't driven over
and over.

We shall see!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 26-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Franz Heymann

"jane" wrote in message

[snip]

The problem is there's already two maple-like trees in the same

area,
both of which are stunted with twisted trunks and which have never
grown beyond about 7' tall in 4-5 years, probably because they spend
the winter 6" deep in water. I'm going to use this fact to show how
bad the location is. I've seen lots of plants get put in round here
and then neglected and then get dug up or mown over by a totally
uncaring and unobservant ground management team (I'm not going to

give
them the compliment of calling them gardeners!).

I am thankful they told me now - so I have time to change their

minds!

I suggest you use the time to persuade the powers that be to spend
their money on buying the staff some celebratory plonk instead of
wasting it on a tree planted in what you have described as a swamp.

[snip]

Franz

Old 26-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Mike Lyle

Franz Heymann wrote:
"jane" wrote in message

[snip]

The problem is there's already two maple-like trees in the same
area, both of which are stunted with twisted trunks and which have
never grown beyond about 7' tall in 4-5 years, probably because

they
spend the winter 6" deep in water. I'm going to use this fact to
show how bad the location is. I've seen lots of plants get put in
round here and then neglected and then get dug up or mown over by

totally uncaring and unobservant ground management team (I'm not
going to give them the compliment of calling them gardeners!).

I am thankful they told me now - so I have time to change their
minds!

I suggest you use the time to persuade the powers that be to spend
their money on buying the staff some celebratory plonk instead of
wasting it on a tree planted in what you have described as a swamp.

A big raised bed should work. Sympathetically designed ones of brick
or stone can look very good, and make a nicer focal point outside a
big building than just a tree in the ground. They can be designed as
something to sit on, too.

Mike.

Old 29-11-2004, 11:51 AM
jane

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:12:18 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

~Franz Heymann wrote:
~ "jane" wrote in message
~ ...
~
~ [snip]
~
[...]
hmmm nice idea - shall see if anyone bites!

Thankyou, and thankyou all for the suggestions...

--
jane

Mark Twain