Old 02-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Gary

On 12/1/04 3:13 PM, in article ,
"nambucca" wrote:

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Nick
Gray writes

"Laurie Moseley" wrote in message
Last year my lawn started to get a lot of moss in it. So...

1. I dug a series of holes about a foot deep at roughly 9-inch

intervals
across
my law and filled them with sand (NOT builders's sand), with the

intention
of
improving the drainage (the soil is rather clayey round here, even

though
it
has had a lot of sand on it in the past)
2. In the spring I dosed with a combined moss-killer, weed-killer, and
lawn-feed. Over a few weeks, the moss went black, and seemed to have

died.
raked out what I could of it.
3. In the autumn (about September), I scarified the lawn and again

raked
up all
the thatch and dead moss that I could.

Now, in late November, the moss has returned in all its glory, and

seems
to be
both more abundant and widespread than ever. Yes, I know I could go for

moss
(or camomile, or concrete) lawn, but I happen to like grass. Any
suggestions of
what to do, and when, would be most welcome.

With thanks in advance

Laurie
Hi Laurie,

Using a garden fork, aerate the lawn now and again in the spring, brush

sand
into the holes. In april, sow grass seed in the bare patches of your lawn
(although it's a good idea to knock the moss back with a moss killer

first,
this will delay sowing new seed). Choose a seed mix that is suitable to

your
soil type, use and lawn location i.e. heavy soil, hard wearing shady etc.

HTH

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Hire a powered hollow tine aerator if you can find one. Much better and
larger holes than a fork. Manual ones are OK if your lawn is not too
large.
You need to get plenty of sand into the surface to improve the drainage.
Buy in bulk and cover it with enough to give it more than a passing
resemblance to the Sahara desert. After 2 or 3 years of that you will
begin to see an improvement. Clay soils are usually acidic, check your
ph and add lime if necessary to bring it up to neutral.
--
hugh

But what about dry sandy soils on a gravel subbase

mine is easily parched in summer because it drains so easily but a bog of
moss in the winter ........

Very funny!

Old 02-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Gary

On 12/2/04 1:04 AM, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
nambucca wrote:

But what about dry sandy soils on a gravel subbase

mine is easily parched in summer because it drains so easily but a bog of
moss in the winter ........

It is almost certainly heavily shaded in the winter, or their is a
source of more water than just the rain. I have a similar, but less
extreme, problem.

You can do nothing except learn to love your moss.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Even funnier...

Old 02-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Bob H

hugh wrote:
[...]

for a

[...]

What type of sand are you saying to cover the lawn with, builders or
sharp sand?

I only ask because I have or had a moss problem last year, and I may
need to do the same this next spring.

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Old 03-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Nick Gray

[...]

Hi Bob,

Don't use builders sand. Use sharp or a medium fine sand, make sure it's
been washed (to remove some of the salts) - bagged sand has normally been
washed. Lawn sand is available, but it's more expensive. It contains ferrous
and ammonium sulphate. The ferrous sulphate to control moss and ammonium
sulphate to feed the lawn, it should only really be used in spring, applying
it at other times isn't as effective.

HTH

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 07-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Bill writes:

| Gary keep on being 'rude', if that is what it's called, but you have made
| some valid points. I personally think that putting sand on now or in the
| spring really won't make that much of a difference either way. But I do know
| for sure that "walking around on saturated lawns will compact the soil and
| encourage moss" is Janet's fantasy. How can a water filled lawn be
| compacted? It cannot...too much water. Hello, think about it.

That is NOT true. In my garden, walking on saturated soil does pack
it, which is why I have to wait until it starts to dry out in spring
before cultivating it. The reason is that it is a 'light' soil (and
therefore does compact), but contains enough clay to bind.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Sacha

On 7/12/04 11:16, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Bill writes:

| Gary keep on being 'rude', if that is what it's called, but you have made
| some valid points. I personally think that putting sand on now or in the
| spring really won't make that much of a difference either way. But I do
know
| for sure that "walking around on saturated lawns will compact the soil and
| encourage moss" is Janet's fantasy. How can a water filled lawn be
| compacted? It cannot...too much water. Hello, think about it.

That is NOT true. In my garden, walking on saturated soil does pack
it, which is why I have to wait until it starts to dry out in spring
before cultivating it. The reason is that it is a 'light' soil (and
therefore does compact), but contains enough clay to bind.

Don't waste your time any more. If you look at the headers you will see
that 'Gary' and 'Bill' seem to be one and the same person.
From Gary's post: NNTP-Posting-Host: 64.59.144.74
From Bill's post: NNTP-Posting-Host: 64.59.144.74

From both:

Personally, I can't see why urg should bother with people like this.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Kay

In article , Bill
writes

Gary keep on being 'rude', if that is what it's called, but you have made
some valid points. I personally think that putting sand on now or in the
spring really won't make that much of a difference either way. But I do know
for sure that "walking around on saturated lawns will compact the soil and
encourage moss" is Janet's fantasy. How can a water filled lawn be
compacted? It cannot...too much water. Hello, think about it.

I am.
This means you cannot squeeze a water filled sponge - too much water in
it.

--
Kay

Old 07-12-2004, 06:25 PM
hugh

In message , Bill
writes
On 12/2/04 10:57 AM, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote:

The message
from Gary contains these words:

I don't like it but some people on the WWW are playing games.

And why
not, they are not looking you in the face.
And now you're telling those of us that gave an honest answer

Why are you implying that some did not? Perhaps you mean the ones you
called "very funny"? They were legitimate descriptions of conditions
found in the UK.

that you
are going to wait until spring???
Sorry, you too must be a phony.

Yet again, you rudely attempt to discredit or mislead other posters.

Waiting till spring makes good sense. Winter in the UK brings rain,
heavy cloud cover, and long hours of darkness. Grass will not start
growing again until spring, and walking around on saturated lawns will
compact the soil and encourage moss.

Janet.

Gary keep on being 'rude', if that is what it's called, but you have made
some valid points. I personally think that putting sand on now or in the
spring really won't make that much of a difference either way. But I do know
for sure that "walking around on saturated lawns will compact the soil and
encourage moss" is Janet's fantasy. How can a water filled lawn be
compacted? It cannot...too much water. Hello, think about it.
Bill

In the Spring the grass is starting to grow and will push up through the
sand more quickly whereas in the Winter it is dormant (ish). With a
saturated lawn the turf could be quickly churned into mud if you walk on
it. I'm not sure what you mean by a "water filled" lawn.
--
hugh
Old 07-12-2004, 06:28 PM
hugh

In message , Sacha
writes
On 7/12/04 11:16, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Bill writes:

| Gary keep on being 'rude', if that is what it's called, but you have made
| some valid points. I personally think that putting sand on now or in the
| spring really won't make that much of a difference either way. But I do
know
| for sure that "walking around on saturated lawns will compact the soil and
| encourage moss" is Janet's fantasy. How can a water filled lawn be
| compacted? It cannot...too much water. Hello, think about it.

That is NOT true. In my garden, walking on saturated soil does pack
it, which is why I have to wait until it starts to dry out in spring
before cultivating it. The reason is that it is a 'light' soil (and
therefore does compact), but contains enough clay to bind.

Don't waste your time any more. If you look at the headers you will see
that 'Gary' and 'Bill' seem to be one and the same person.
From Gary's post: NNTP-Posting-Host: 64.59.144.74
From Bill's post: NNTP-Posting-Host: 64.59.144.74

From both:

Personally, I can't see why urg should bother with people like this.

Well spotted Sacha. Not a very bright troll.
--
hugh
Old 18-04-2005, 10:25 PM
wedye

Go down to your local nursery or hardware pick up some copper sulphate and
put a tablespoon in a bucket of water this should reduce the problem when
watered on as it will kill the moss but not the grass even in winter this is
why they use copper sulfate as a waterbed anti mould we tried it last year
and worked a charm

"Laurie Moseley" wrote in message
I've so far had 11 replies to my query on the above issue. They were

helpful,
either in giving me new advice, in confirming that what I had already been
doing was sensible, or in making me feel that I was not alone. I think

that
I'll have to leave it till next spring to take the advice.

The kindness of people rekindles one's faith in human nature.

Thanks, everyone

Laurie