Old 01-12-2004, 12:52 PM
pk

Franz Heymann wrote:

I trust essentially no organisation which sends me unsolicited emails,
and would appreciate it if any urgler would reassure me that this is a
genuine letter, and that I should carry out the requested action which
appears later in the letter, and which I have not bothered to copy
here.

Once again, apologies, and thanks in advance for any help.

it's legit.

Go to the My Account page on bt yahoo.

Below your e-mail address is the short cut:

"Setup authenticated SMTP"

which confirms:

"The BT Yahoo! Mail SMTP server requires authentication. To learn how to
configure this setting, select from the list of supported email clients
below.
Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express users can simply click the button below
to auto-configure SMTP authentication (pc only). "

pk

Old 01-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Sacha

On 1/12/04 10:57, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip Why not make a 'phone call to the ISP, asking them if they are
indeed,
sending out such mails or intending such action?!

Thanks Sacha, I think I'll try that.

I had to use PayPal recently - or was about to, so had accessed their site -
and I received an email asking me for some private details, so I emailed
them asking if they were in fact doing this and got a swift reply saying
"NO!" I've had emails pretending to come from my bank and asking for
account details but luckily have enough commonsense to realise that sending
those in an email is not a bank's way of doing business. On our return from
Majorca, we received a bogus letter telling us that we'd won El Gordo and
should send our bank details to an address in Madrid. As we'd never
actually bought a lottery ticket and the scam was so pitifully badly done,
our giant intellects put two and two together.... But what I don't like
about the last one is that it seems very probable that someone from our
hotel, car hire company or travel agent, handed our name and address on to
the scammers.
If there is the slightest doubt, ring or email a genuine address and check.
It takes minutes and gives peace of mind.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Saffy" contains these words:

Well I am with BTYahoo also and got this email a while ago and
actioned it for all my accounts. I am sure it is genuine

(assuming
its the same email).

Verbing weirds language...

.... he carolled, watering his beautifully lawned and well forked and
weeded garden, where roses were still flowering.

Mike.

Old 01-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Sacha

On 1/12/04 14:31, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

Heymann" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip Why not make a 'phone call to the ISP, asking them if they are
indeed,
sending out such mails or intending such action?!

Thanks Sacha, I think I'll try that.

I had to use PayPal recently - or was about to, so had accessed their site -
and I received an email asking me for some private details, so I emailed
them asking if they were in fact doing this and got a swift reply saying
"NO!" I've had emails pretending to come from my bank and asking for
account details but luckily have enough commonsense to realise that sending
those in an email is not a bank's way of doing business.

I wouldn't be too sure, HSBC sent us two debit cards by normal post.

Our bank always does that but sends the pin numbers separately. As credit
card statements with the numbers on come by post, I don't think it matters
as long as cards and various numbers don't all meet up in the wrong hands!
But an American friend of ours who had her wallet stolen in Florence
realised that a credit card payment receipt had the card no. on it & was in
the wallet, even though the card wasn't, so she had to cancel that card as
well as the stolen one.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Sally Thompson

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:58:37 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

My apologies for this totally OT post, but i would lioke to hear if
any urgler has any advive to offer me. I received an email from what
appears to be my ISP, namely BT/Yahoo, from which the following is an
extract:

As part of a worldwide initiative aimed at reducing junk email (spam)
and email viruses, all email providers are switching to what is known
as 'authenticated SMTP'. SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer
Protocol, which enables the sending of email. Authentication is a
method of identifying the origin of emails that stops emails being
sent anonymously.

Franz, the email is genuine and I'm surprised you didn't also get one
like this in June of this year. However, they seem to mainly offer
instructions on how to do it for OE and Outlook. I emailed at that
time and asked what I should change in my email program (Pegaus). The
first reply said:
quote
Dear Mr. Thompson,

Thank you for your email.

I understand that you need information regarding setting up the new
requirement specifed in the BT Yahoo! Mail for your mail client.

BT Yahoo! offers extensive support only with respect to Outlook
Express mail client. We assist in setting up mailbox for other mail
clients like Outlook.

Since you are using Pegasus V4.02 mail client, which does not come
under remit policy, we cannot offer support in setting up mail box.

You have to contact your system vendor and/or Pegasus V4.02 support
for explanation on the issue./quote

When I wrote back and complained (!) I received this gem:
quote
Dear Mrs. Thompson,

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear that you were addressed wrongly and I request you
to consider it as a humane error and exonerate us for the
inconvenience caused.

I am also sorry to inform you that we are not authorised to support
any email clients other than Outlook Express.

However I would suggest you to visit the following link provided below
for Pegasus V4.02 mail client.snip/quote

I gave up at this point, so I've no idea whether I've changed my
settings correctly or not. These two replies were from different
people and it is obvious that English isn't their first language (not
their fault, but BT's). Shame on BT also for only supporting the
Microsoft monopoly.

However, since I see that you *are* using Outlook Express, you can go
to their web site and get explicit instructions if you are unhappy
about clicking on the link given in their email.
HTH

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Reply To address is spam trap

Old 01-12-2004, 05:47 PM
hugh

In message , Sacha
writes
On 1/12/04 0:48, in article
k, "Phil L"
wrote:

snip
Without seeing the full headers (with your personal email address snipped
out of course) it's nigh on impossible to work out whether it's a phishing
scam or the genuine article, TBH, I'd come down on the side of it being a
scam as you've already been using SMTP for years along with everyone
else...if it's requesting personal information such as usernames and
passwords then it's almost certainly a scam as your ISP already has these
and could make any adjustments without your knowledge or permission - the
space within your inbox etc belongs to them and they rent it to you for your
monthly subscription charge....either post the headers or wait and see.

Why not make a 'phone call to the ISP, asking them if they are indeed,
sending out such mails or intending such action?!

Or e-mail them?
--
hugh
Old 01-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Tumbleweed

first reply said:
[...]

So, someone went out of their way to help you and all you can do is whinge
they didnt come round your house and type the instructions in for you! There
are dozens to hundreds of email clients, on dozens of OS's, no ISP can
possibly support all combinations, so they take the cheaper option to
support the most used one. No conspiracy theory needed. (and I have no brief
for BT, gave up on their crap ISP service years ago, but you'll find most
ISPs will follow the same pattern)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 01-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Franz Heymann

"Tracey" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
[...]

Franz

This website may be of some use to you:
http://www.fraudwatchinternational.com It tells you about the scam

emails
that are going round.

There are also a couple of urban legend sites that discuss dubious

emails
and hoax virus warnings http://www.snopes.com

http://www.purportal.com

All three pages are currently unavailable. {:-((

Franz

Old 01-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Tumbleweed

"Tracey" wrote in message

[...]

Franz, I can access all three. So either your PC has a problem, or the
comedy-ISP that is BT hasn't got any better in the 6 or 7 years since I last
experienced how crap it was and took my money elsewhere. My money would be
on the latter option.

Old 01-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Bob Hobden

"bigboard" wrote after...
Franz Heymann wrote:

[...]

It's hard to say without knowing what it was they asked you to do!
Certainly
what they say about SMTP isn't untrue.

In OE they are asking you to go to "tools" then "options" then click the
Mail tab, click properties against Bt Yahoo and on the Server tab under
Outgoing Mail Server put a click in the box "my server requires
authentication". You will then see a window with "use the same details as
incoming mail" already ticked, click apply.
That's all.
Simple, takes a few seconds. Nothing to worry about.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 01-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Sally Thompson

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:06:13 -0000, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

My apologies for this totally OT post, but i would lioke to hear if
any urgler has any advive to offer me. I received an email from what
appears to be my ISP, namely BT/Yahoo, from which the following is an
extract:

snip

Franz, the email is genuine and I'm surprised you didn't also get one
like this in June of this year. However, they seem to mainly offer
instructions on how to do it for OE and Outlook. I emailed at that
time and asked what I should change in my email program (Pegaus). The
first reply said:

snip
I gave up at this point, so I've no idea whether I've changed my
settings correctly or not. These two replies were from different
people and it is obvious that English isn't their first language (not
their fault, but BT's). Shame on BT also for only supporting the
Microsoft monopoly.

So, someone went out of their way to help you and all you can do is whinge
they didnt come round your house and type the instructions in for you! There
are dozens to hundreds of email clients, on dozens of OS's, no ISP can
possibly support all combinations, so they take the cheaper option to
support the most used one. No conspiracy theory needed. (and I have no brief
for BT, gave up on their crap ISP service years ago, but you'll find most
ISPs will follow the same pattern)

You know, Tumbleweed, I don't normally rise to the bait but I really
can't see where in my post I have whinged. I told Franz the replies I
had had, and pointed out that since he was using OE he would be able
to change his settings easily. I have not used the phrase comspiracy
theory and I'm well aware there are plenty of email clients - that's
why I use one of the alternatives to MS. I happen to think BT's
answers left a lot to be desired - but I didn't actually say so in my
earlier post. Anyway, I hope that Franz is now sorted - which was the
object of the exercise.

Old 02-12-2004, 07:22 AM
Franz Heymann

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Tracey" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message
[...]

I don't know where the glitsh was. I did manage to get through later.
As I said in another note, I have verified to my satisfaction that the
email was really sent by bt/yahoo and have now done what they wanted
me to do. Ihave not yet (!) seen any ill effects from complying.

Franz

Old 02-12-2004, 07:22 AM
Franz Heymann

"pk" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:

[...]

Thanks, pk.

I have done all that and now await the dire rsults. {:-))

Franz

Old 02-12-2004, 07:22 AM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

It is quite possible that I had such a warning in June. What makes
you think my memory still works? {:-))

Anyway, I have now complied with their request.

However, they seem to mainly offer
instructions on how to do it for OE and Outlook. I emailed at that
time and asked what I should change in my email program (Pegaus).

The
first reply said:
quote
Dear Mr. Thompson,

{:-))

[...]

Does this really mean that bt is quite happy to lose all their
internet customers who do not use MS?

However, since I see that you *are* using Outlook Express, you can

go
to their web site and get explicit instructions if you are unhappy
about clicking on the link given in their email.

To late. I clicked and await the short sharp shock of a cheap and
tinny chopper any moment now.
{:-))

Frana

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM