Old 30-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Franz Heymann

Default OT Help

My apologies for this totally OT post, but i would lioke to hear if
any urgler has any advive to offer me. I received an email from what
appears to be my ISP, namely BT/Yahoo, from which the following is an
extract:

As part of a worldwide initiative aimed at reducing junk email (spam)
and email viruses, all email providers are switching to what is known
as 'authenticated SMTP'. SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer
Protocol, which enables the sending of email. Authentication is a
method of identifying the origin of emails that stops emails being
sent anonymously.

I trust essentially no organisation which sends me unsolicited emails,
and would appreciate it if any urgler would reassure me that this is a
genuine letter, and that I should carry out the requested action which
appears later in the letter, and which I have not bothered to copy
here.

Once again, apologies, and thanks in advance for any help.

Franz

Old 30-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Tumbleweed

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds genuine (google is your friend) quite a few conversations on the net
about it here is one at random
http://forums.macosxhints.com/archiv...p/t-25167.html

I would recommend you go into the help facilities where if it is genuine it
will tell you to do the same thing.

I would also wait a few days in case there is a bug in their scripts, let
someone else be the beta tester.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 30-11-2004, 10:07 PM
Jeanne Stockdale

I have received the same and am also very suspicious and would welcome a
definitive answer from an "expert".

In the meantime I have looked at the BT Yahoo Mail site and whilst there is
a lot about spam and how to avoid it, I can find no reference to SMTP or
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.

So my feeling is not to do anything that the e-mail says to do.

Jeanne Stockdale

Old 30-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Tumbleweed

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
I have received the same and am also very suspicious and would welcome a
definitive answer from an "expert".

In the meantime I have looked at the BT Yahoo Mail site and whilst there
is a lot about spam and how to avoid it, I can find no reference to SMTP
or Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.

So my feeling is not to do anything that the e-mail says to do.

Jeanne Stockdale

Yo cant have been looking very hard.....

from http://www.btyahoo.com/mail/helpandsupport (first google hit IIRC)

"4. What is BT Yahoo! Premium Mail?
BT Yahoo! Premium Mail is a feature rich email service that provides you
with four email addresses (based on the format) and
can be accessed via webmail and also POP/SMTP..."

and

" 9. What are my mail servers?

Your Incoming Mail (POP3) = mail.btinternet.com

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) = mail.btinternet.com "

and finally ..
http://help.btinternet.com/help/smtp

BT Yahoo! Mail - setting up SMTP Authentication
Print this page

What is SMTP Authentication, and why do I need to ensure it is switched on?

As part of a worldwide initiative aimed at reducing junk email (spam), all
email providers are switching to what is known as 'SMTP authentication'.
SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, which enables the sending of
email. Authentication is a method of identifying the origin of emails that
stops emails being sent anonymously.

Most nuisance emails (spam) are sent from people on unauthenticated email.
By removing the ability to send emails without authentication, spam should
be substantially reduced.

How do I switch on SMTP authentication?

It's simple. 'SMTP authentication' s usually switched on by ticking a box
called 'My server requires authentication' in your email program settings.

Please do this for all the BT Yahoo! email addresses that you and your
family use.

If you are using Microsoft Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook on a PC,
this can be done automatically for you - just click on the button below,
then click 'Yes' when asked if you want to install and run the program. This
will switch on SMTP authentication in your email program on this computer
for all your (or your family's) BT Yahoo! email addresses.

If you are using another email program OR you are using an Apple Mac, please
click here to see how to switch on SMTP Authentication.

Old 30-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

[...]

Yes - but this is all gobbledeygook - you have left out the important bit
that they are threatening to cut off our outgoing em facility in four days
if we don.t do what they order.
You have failed to answer Franz,s enquiry and also my wife's.
Are we advised independently to do what they request?

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 01-12-2004, 12:30 AM
Gary Woods

"Peter Stockdale" wrote:

Yes - but this is all gobbledeygook - you have left out the important bit
that they are threatening to cut off our outgoing em facility in four days
if we don.t do what they order.

That's just got to be a "phish." Do you have to provide login information
and all that? BT couldn't possibly make a major change and cut everybody
off in 4 days- that's a huge red flag.
SMTP has been around almost since the beginning... it's the protocol mail
servers use to talk to each other (and you). "Authenticated SMTP"
originally meant you needed to login to send mail; most ISPs have been
doing this for quite a while.
It would be interesting to see the original mail headers... I get versions
of this all the time threatening to lock my bank account, credit card, or
sex life if I don't give some total stranger all my secret information.

Old 01-12-2004, 12:48 AM
Phil L

Franz Heymann wrote:
:: My apologies for this totally OT post, but i would lioke to hear if
:: any urgler has any advive to offer me. I received an email from
:: what appears to be my ISP, namely BT/Yahoo, from which the
:: following is an extract:
::
[...]

Without seeing the full headers (with your personal email address snipped
out of course) it's nigh on impossible to work out whether it's a phishing
scam or the genuine article, TBH, I'd come down on the side of it being a
scam as you've already been using SMTP for years along with everyone
else...if it's requesting personal information such as usernames and
passwords then it's almost certainly a scam as your ISP already has these
and could make any adjustments without your knowledge or permission - the
space within your inbox etc belongs to them and they rent it to you for your
monthly subscription charge....either post the headers or wait and see.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:31 AM
Sacha

On 1/12/04 0:48, in article
, "Phil L"
wrote:

snip
Without seeing the full headers (with your personal email address snipped
out of course) it's nigh on impossible to work out whether it's a phishing
scam or the genuine article, TBH, I'd come down on the side of it being a
scam as you've already been using SMTP for years along with everyone
else...if it's requesting personal information such as usernames and
passwords then it's almost certainly a scam as your ISP already has these
and could make any adjustments without your knowledge or permission - the
space within your inbox etc belongs to them and they rent it to you for your
monthly subscription charge....either post the headers or wait and see.

Why not make a 'phone call to the ISP, asking them if they are indeed,
sending out such mails or intending such action?!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Peter Stockdale

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 1/12/04 0:48, in article
, "Phil L"
wrote:

snip
[...]

No user details are involved -( passwords etc)

Regards
Pete

Old 01-12-2004, 10:21 AM
bigboard

Franz Heymann wrote:

[...]

It's hard to say without knowing what it was they asked you to do! Certainly
what they say about SMTP isn't untrue.

--
"In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with
reality at any point."

Old 01-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Saffy

Well I am with BTYahoo also and got this email a while ago and actioned it
for all my accounts. I am sure it is genuine (assuming its the same email).

Saffy

Old 01-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Tracey

[...]

This website may be of some use to you:
http://www.fraudwatchinternational.com It tells you about the scam emails
that are going round.

There are also a couple of urban legend sites that discuss dubious emails
and hoax virus warnings http://www.snopes.com http://www.purportal.com

Tracey

Old 01-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Franz Heymann

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 1/12/04 0:48, in article
, "Phil L"
wrote:

snip
[...]

Thanks Sacha, I think I'll try that.

Franz

Old 01-12-2004, 11:09 AM
Tracey

[...]

I've already sent a post regarding this but not sure whether it got through
or not as it's not showing on my server. So here it is again.

Old 01-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Saffy" contains these words:

Well I am with BTYahoo also and got this email a while ago and actioned it
for all my accounts. I am sure it is genuine (assuming its the same email).

Verbing weirds language...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM