Old 04-12-2004, 10:23 AM
gedge

Default shredder

I need to buy a garden shredder, it has to be quiet , strong & reliable, any
recomendations would be greatfully received..... thanks

Old 05-12-2004, 05:36 PM
newsb

In article , gedge
writes
Thanks for your help, I think i will get the Bosch AXT 2200.

I've got that and have no problems with it at all.

--
regards andyw
Old 06-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Josie

Message from gedge on Sat, 4 Dec 2004
10:23:17 shredder:

I need to buy a garden shredder, it has to be quiet , strong & reliable, any
recomendations would be greatfully received..... thanks

Have look at the Bosch AXT 2200W. I don't think you'll regret it.

Old 06-12-2004, 05:06 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Josie
writes
Message from gedge on Sat, 4 Dec 2004
10:23:17 shredder:

I need to buy a garden shredder, it has to be quiet , strong & reliable, any
recomendations would be greatfully received..... thanks

Have look at the Bosch AXT 2200W. I don't think you'll regret it.

We have been using a Viking 350 shredder for about five years now. It is
a top loading Stihl machine with rotating blades driven by a 5bhp Briggs
and Stratton petrol engine. It is very effective for the job it does,
but it tends to require a lot of attention and is something of a gas
guzzler. A large proportion of the work it does is ex-tree surgery
brushwood which is too large to be composted and too small for Rayburn
fuel. The shreddings are used for mulching, composting and path work.
The shredder also handles softer materials such as Brussels sprout and
Jerusalem artichoke stems, prunings etc., the shreddings from which can
be added to compost heaps. In a very large garden like ours with many
trees, it is an almost indispensable asset.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:09 AM
Kevin Groves

Talking of shredders, if I was to shred a load of ivy for mulching, what
chance would there be of said Ivy coming back to haunt me?

I've left a load of prunings in a pail for the past couple of months to
make sure it's *really* dead before I do anything with it.

Cheers
Kev,

Old 06-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Josie" wrote in message
Message from gedge on Sat, 4 Dec 2004
10:23:17 shredder:

I need to buy a garden shredder, it has to be quiet , strong & reliable,

any
recomendations would be greatfully received..... thanks

Have look at the Bosch AXT 2200W. I don't think you'll regret it.
--

I too reluctantly paid the price for this and its is very good.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 06-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Neil Wilson

gedge wrote:

I need to buy a garden shredder, it has to be quiet , strong & reliable,
any recomendations would be greatfully received..... thanks

I bought a Homebase own make Powerbase 2200W shredder for £89 it did the job
required, takes branches up to 40mm I think, fairly quiet as well - from
about 70ft away it sounded like a small cement mixer, looks & weighs the
same as well. Cheers.

Neil
Old 06-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

A large proportion of the work it does is ex-tree surgery
brushwood which is too large to be composted and too small for Rayburn
fuel. The shreddings are used for mulching, composting and path work.
The shredder also handles softer materials such as Brussels sprout and
Jerusalem artichoke stems, prunings etc., the shreddings from which can
be added to compost heaps. In a very large garden like ours with many
trees, it is an almost indispensable asset.

So, shred the small stuff and mix it with papier maché - old newspapers
soaked for a few days, then sloshed-up.

Pack into a bit of plastic drainpipe and tamp into blocks, squeezing out
excess water. (You can add anything that burns, though gunpowder isn't
recommended.)

Stack blocks to dry, and then feed into the Rayburn.

You can (If you can get - or want to get - the materials,) mix
coal-dust/slack with cow dung, or sawdust with cowdung for a good hot
but slow-burning fuel.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 16-12-2004, 12:02 AM
Trevorcjspencer

I spent a very long time looking for one to replace my old Black and Decker.
Back in August I bought a ALKO SP5000 from http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/

It was expensive at £289 but it really does the job. It's very powerful, quiet
and takes anything from branches down to very thin twigs and chops them up.

It's quiet because it uses a type of cogwheel cutting system and not spinning
blades as per my old Black and Decker.

If you want more details e-mail me if it helps.