Old 18-02-2005, 01:37 PM
pixi

Default Goldfish, yet again

Sorry about all those messaages. Couldn't get one out all day yesterday and
suddenly they did. All at the same time.

Thanks to everyone who answered. Wish I had known about Amquel yesterday.
Went into town just to get some living water plants, the day before that I
went 50 miles to buy a bigger filter.
Doubt if my husband will take me to town again and then the two places that
sell fish probably never heard of Anquel either.

I don't remember that I had such a problem with cloudy water in the old
days.

A special thanks to George. You were really a very big help.

No. my fish are not dead. They are back in the 10 gallon tank and the ich,
if that's what is is, is practically gone. Actually they are pretty
lively..

So, I guess it wasn't the fault of the fish dealer in Cumberland. The ich,
that is.

Thanks again to everyone.

Pixi

Old 18-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Benign Vanilla

"pixi" wrote in message
erver.com...
snip
Doubt if my husband will take me to town again and then the two places

that
sell fish probably never heard of Anquel either.

snip

Amquel is a commercial name for a type of product, like how we call bandages
band-aids. Anyway, you can buy cost effective versions of Amquel and Amquel
itself on-line, and have it shipped to you. I always keep a gallon on hand
during the season.

Check out a few samples here, http://ihmp.net/@/dz.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 19-02-2005, 12:57 AM
humBill

I dont know how far out you are but Amquel type products are often available
at Home Depot & Lowes. Wal Mart will also have some for aquariums,
sometimes ponds.

I am not familiar with methylene blue. If this actually a 'cure', great.
The tank should still be treated after they have no more spots. The white
spots are actually eggs sacks which fall off when they are hatching. In
fact, this is when the ich can be killed. If you do not continue treatment
they will multiply and many more will appear in about 3 weeks.

I would agree the Ich was not your fault. I believe Ich is not latent = it
was already present and just progressed to the 'egg' stage. The stress may
have sped that up a bit at worst but they already had it.
Good Luck with your little pets!
Bill

erver.com...

Old 19-02-2005, 02:18 PM
pixi

Made a large mistake. The ich medication is called malachite green and
seems to be doing the trick. The fishe's dorsals are upright again and on
two of them there is only one or two spots. The 3rd looks a lot better but
still has lots of dust.

How long would I have to treat them. The bottle says 3 days, but I thought
maybe a week. I am also mixing their food with tetracycline because their
tails are shredded.

This stuff sure acted fast. The rot and the ich, I mean.

I don't know why I get myself involved in these things. I have 12 bird
feeders outside, a pond with fish down the hill by the woods and a new one
up the hill closer to the house without fish in it yet and waiting to be
completely landscaped.

A decent Walmart is 50 miles. This one is allegedly one of the biggest in
the country with 195,000 square feet. Have another 12 miles away but it is
so small I can't find what I want.

Lowes is 50 miles away and Home Depot is 70 miles.

As you can tell, I live in a highly populated area. No clothing stores,
nobakeries, no cleaners, one small gro cery store in the county seat. Lots
of gas stations though.

. com...

Old 19-02-2005, 03:30 PM
RoyBoy

Malachite Green w/formalin is probably the most widely used and
accepted treatment for ick, and as a starting point for
fungus.......Follow the containers directions.......if no improvement,
then you can either try it again, and if there is still no improvement
your gonna need a different approach and method of treatment.

Potassium Permanganate will do it most likely but its rather drastic
for ICK. Kepp an eye out for any red spots in fin and belly and tail
areas, as thats a bacterial infection which often times goes along
with the fungus.........but it seem like you have a handle on
antibiotics with TC.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:18:31 -0500, "pixi" wrote:

===Made a large mistake. The ich medication is called malachite green and
===seems to be doing the trick. The fishe's dorsals are upright again and on
===two of them there is only one or two spots. The 3rd looks a lot better but
===still has lots of dust.
===
[...]
==="humBill" wrote in message
odigy.com...
[...]

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS

Old 19-02-2005, 05:26 PM
humBill

How long would I have to treat them. The bottle says 3 days, but I
thought
maybe a week. I am also mixing their food with tetracycline because their
tails are shredded.

This stuff sure acted fast. The rot and the ich, I mean.

Like almost everything opinions seem to vary. Most sites agree that
treatment must continue past the 'visible' stage. I have seen often quoted
the time period of 3 days past. If your malachite green also has formalin,
formalin is toxic. I have treated for 10 days alternating 1 day treatment
and next day 50% water change and it has not returned. It is possible that
the suggestions of treating for only 2-3 days are actually effective because
the medication remains in the water. Additional suggestions are to keep
your tank dark because light deactivates malachite green. A temperature of
78-80 will also accelerate the life cycle, increasing the probability of
killing them during the 'free swimming' stage. You also should remove any
charcoal as this removes the 'medicine'.
In any case remember that the cysts falling from the fish is a part of the
natural life cycle of ich and is not indicative of a cure. HTH
Bill

Old 19-02-2005, 06:39 PM
~ Windsong ~

"humBill" wrote in message
. com...
I dont know how far out you are but Amquel type products are often

available
at Home Depot & Lowes. Wal Mart will also have some for aquariums,
sometimes ponds.

=======================
Jungle IckGuard works great for Ick and isn't expensive.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"People who want to share their religious views with you almost

Old 19-02-2005, 06:41 PM
~ Windsong ~

"RoyBoy" wrote in message
REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!

No it isn't! They're better off asking here and getting many opinions then
the opinion of one person.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"People who want to share their religious views with you almost
never want you to share yours with them."
Completely FREE softwa
http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/index.htm