Old 05-12-2004, 10:21 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Repulsant snozzcumbers

Those are clearly created by putting the taste of cardoons into a
cucumber. Having just tried my first cardoons, I have no desire
to repeat the experience. My wife's views are identical.

Even after blanching (both the deprival of light and preliminary
boiling), they remained as bitter as gall, and tasted much like
the stalks of globe artichokes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
and tasted much like
the stalks of globe artichokes.

Do you have a recipe for those?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alan Gould wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
and tasted much like
the stalks of globe artichokes.

Do you have a recipe for those?

Yes. Just use a cardoon recipe.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Those are clearly created by putting the taste of cardoons into a
cucumber. Having just tried my first cardoons, I have no desire
to repeat the experience. My wife's views are identical.

Even after blanching (both the deprival of light and preliminary
boiling), they remained as bitter as gall, and tasted much like
the stalks of globe artichokes.

OK, I'll own up. A friend induced me to watch the last of the
"Nobody's ever heard of me, so don't get me out of here just yet"
series. Some bloke called Paul (presumably a member of the Bay City
Rollers, or a daytime TV presenter) had to eat, among other things,
that fine specimen of my native flora, a puke-fruit; which apparently
puts live cockroaches (why didn't the silly bugger kill them forst?)
into perspective, and the Indian bitter gourd into the luxury
category. I had switched off by then, but it seems some other
anonymity actually won: Heaven knows what _he_ had to endure.

So consider yourself fortunate in your cardoons. There's often a
reason for foodstuffs to go out of fashion!

Mike.

Old 07-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

OK, I'll own up. A friend induced me to watch the last of the
"Nobody's ever heard of me, so don't get me out of here just yet"
series. Some bloke called Paul (presumably a member of the Bay City
Rollers, or a daytime TV presenter) had to eat, among other things,
that fine specimen of my native flora, a puke-fruit; which apparently
puts live cockroaches (why didn't the silly bugger kill them forst?)
into perspective, and the Indian bitter gourd into the luxury
category. I had switched off by then, but it seems some other
anonymity actually won: Heaven knows what _he_ had to endure.

My immediate reaction to that what what the hell were they wearing
bikinis and other skimpy clothing? A real jungle has interesting
invertebrate life, like foot-long centipedes, leeches and mosquitos
that carry interesting forms of unicellular life.

I didn't look for long enough to notice that anyone was called Paul.
I suppose that they had to be called something, but I lacked any
interest in pursuing the matter.

So consider yourself fortunate in your cardoons. There's often a
reason for foodstuffs to go out of fashion!

True. I have never heard of puke-fruit - what is its Latin name,
and which peculiar people regard it as a delicacy?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Nick Gray

True. I have never heard of puke-fruit - what is its Latin name,
and which peculiar people regard it as a delicacy?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Vomit fruit, cheesefruit or rotten cheesefruit - Morinda citrifolia.

Found in costal Queensland, Papua New Guinea and India. It is high in
vitamin C and is used as a traditional method of curing colds, diarrhoea and
sore throats, as well as a shampoo.

Don't know if any particular culture regards it as a delicacy though.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 07-12-2004, 09:36 PM
IntarsiaCo

I have never heard of puke-fruit - what is its Latin name,
and which peculiar people regard it as a delicacy?

Durian, Durio zibethinus

I believe that Thailand grows a large crop for export to the asian markets.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
IntarsiaCo wrote:
I have never heard of puke-fruit - what is its Latin name,
and which peculiar people regard it as a delicacy?

Durian, Durio zibethinus

I believe that Thailand grows a large crop for export to the asian markets.

I want to try it, and have heard that it tastes delicious, but smells
foul. I don't think that it is the same thing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Nick Gray wrote:

True. I have never heard of puke-fruit - what is its Latin name,
and which peculiar people regard it as a delicacy?

Vomit fruit, cheesefruit or rotten cheesefruit - Morinda citrifolia.

Found in costal Queensland, Papua New Guinea and India. It is high in
vitamin C and is used as a traditional method of curing colds, diarrhoea and
sore throats, as well as a shampoo.

Don't know if any particular culture regards it as a delicacy though.

Ah, thanks. It sounds useful ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
IntarsiaCo wrote:
I have never heard of puke-fruit - what is its Latin name,
and which peculiar people regard it as a delicacy?

Durian, Durio zibethinus

I believe that Thailand grows a large crop for export to the asian
markets.

I want to try it, and have heard that it tastes delicious, but

smells
foul. I don't think that it is the same thing.

No, far from it. My tropical books are in a box just now, but durians
are big and pukes are mercifully only mouthful-sized. I wouldn't find
it incredible if somebody told me they were related, though -- one of
nature's practical jokes, like most of our Australian biota. It's
surprising that God isn't called "Acme" in Aus, though unremarkable
that there are no coyotes.

Mike.

Mike.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Nick Gray

I want to try it, and have heard that it tastes delicious, but smells
foul. I don't think that it is the same thing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hi Nick,

Apparently it smells and tastes foul. Like really strong roquefort cheese,
mixed with mustard!! However fruit bats love them.

Some pictures on Google he
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...oogle+Sear ch

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 08-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Martin Brown

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
IntarsiaCo wrote:

I have never heard of puke-fruit - what is its Latin name,
and which peculiar people regard it as a delicacy?

Durian, Durio zibethinus

I believe that Thailand grows a large crop for export to the asian markets.

I want to try it, and have heard that it tastes delicious, but smells
foul. I don't think that it is the same thing.

Along with a few other local delicacies. I quite liked it. Texture is
something like a natural egg custard almost sweet with an unusual
aftertaste. The smell is very strong and misleading - so strong they are
banned from being carried as hand baggage in aircraft.

If you like strong cheeses you can probably manage to eat it. Many
people are put off instantly by the smell without ever tasting it.

Fermented soya bean or nattou has the same (even worse) image problem.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 08-12-2004, 09:39 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Nick Gray wrote:

[ Durian ]

I want to try it, and have heard that it tastes delicious, but smells
foul. I don't think that it is the same thing.

Apparently it smells and tastes foul. Like really strong roquefort cheese,
mixed with mustard!! However fruit bats love them.

What's wrong with that?

I have heard that it is like eating French custard out of a sewage
pipe. It definitely sounds worth a try.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:53 AM
Franz Heymann

"IntarsiaCo" wrote in message
I have never heard of puke-fruit - what is its Latin name,
and which peculiar people regard it as a delicacy?

Durian, Durio zibethinus

Is this the same as Nick Gray's "Morinda citrifolia"?

I believe that Thailand grows a large crop for export to the asian

markets.

Franz

Old 08-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Nick Gray

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"IntarsiaCo" wrote in message
I have never heard of puke-fruit - what is its Latin name,
and which peculiar people regard it as a delicacy?

Durian, Durio zibethinus

Is this the same as Nick Gray's "Morinda citrifolia"?

I believe that Thailand grows a large crop for export to the asian

markets.

Franz

Hi Franz,

No the Durian (Durio zibethinus) is a large, spiky fruit about the size of a
football, the husk is broken off and the pulpy segments are eaten, it has a
taste similar to custard. The Vomit Fruit (Morinda citrifolia) is much
smaller, about the size of an orange segment and doesn't have an outer husk
nor spines, it also has a taste to match the smell.

Picture and further description can be found he
http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/plants/morinda.htm

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk